• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Desktop Speaker Stands

Hydrav

I use these adjustable stands to mount my speakers with VESA mounts. It offers a lot of precision to get the tweeter height just right, leaves my desk space clear, and there's also no way for the speakers to get knocked over.

Nice, that's my optimal setup. Clean, sturdy, height adjustable, minimal desk space taken. Unfortunately only works with speakers with rear mounting points, and I didn't have the money for Genelecs or Neumann...yet...

EDIT: Also I wonder how that setup would hold up with heavier speakers. The KH80 only weigh 3,5kg, but what if you had a 7 or 8kg speaker? Perhaps you'd need a sturdier monitor arm.

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Nice, that's my optimal setup. Clean, sturdy, height adjustable, minimal desk space taken. Unfortunately only works with speakers with rear mounting points, and I didn't have the money for Genelecs or Neumann...yet...

EDIT: Also I wonder how that setup would hold up with heavier speakers. The KH80 only weigh 3,5kg, but what if you had a 7 or 8kg speaker? Perhaps you'd need a sturdier monitor arm.
Monitors can weigh a lot more than that, so I don't think it's a big issue.

OP
BoredErica

BoredErica

I use these adjustable stands to mount my speakers with VESA mounts. It offers a lot of precision to get the tweeter height just right, leaves my desk space clear, and there's also no way for the speakers to get knocked over.
Ahh, too bad my speakers don't have mounting holes in the back. Which microphone is that btw? Looks like one of those measurement mics for speaker calibration. No mouse pad?

Sound is good with the Neumanns and low hiss. My friend said he can hear hiss from 8030c from 70in away. Both are nice if you're fine with how they look. Imo Kef products are aesthetically pleasing. If I just went with KH80 my life would be so much easier! They're small and light.

dshreter

Ahh, too bad my speakers don't have mounting holes in the back. Which microphone is that btw? Looks like one of those measurement mics for speaker calibration. No mouse pad?

Sound is good with the Neumanns and low hiss. My friend said he can hear hiss from 8030c from 70in away. Both are nice if you're fine with how they look. Imo Kef products are aesthetically pleasing. If I just went with KH80 my life would be so much easier! They're small and light.
For me KH 80 has been a perfect desktop speaker. The microphone is a UMIK-1 and it does double duty for conference calls.

Who needs a mouse pad with a laser mouse?

OP
BoredErica

BoredErica

For me KH 80 has been a perfect desktop speaker. The microphone is a UMIK-1 and it does double duty for conference calls.

Who needs a mouse pad with a laser mouse?
Well I worry about the feet of the mice feet.
Doesn't an omnidirectional mic pick up too much ambient noise? I was thinking of using M23 for calls with RTX voice to fix background noise but it's not working for me. :S

dshreter

Well I worry about the feet of the mice feet.
Doesn't an omnidirectional mic pick up too much ambient noise? I was thinking of using M23 for calls with RTX voice to fix background noise but it's not working for me. :S
It probably does, but my conferencing app has automatic noise reduction so I don’t think it’s a real issue, and it’s a quiet space anyway. I’m not needing recording quality vocals

Hydrav

Wow, that sounds terrible. Haven't heard anyone else complain about the hiss and Amir doesn't mention it in his review?

And yeah, KEF has the best looking speakers (imo), but not as good active speaker performance as genelec or neumanns. Guess you have to decide on form or function!

OP
BoredErica

BoredErica

Wow, that sounds terrible. Haven't heard anyone else complain about the hiss and Amir doesn't mention it in his review?

And yeah, KEF has the best looking speakers (imo), but not as good active speaker performance as genelec or neumanns. Guess you have to decide on form or function!
If you go to the 8030c review thread and search the thread for 'hiss' or 'noise' you will get many complaints. If you do the same for all 3 KH 80 threads which span many more posts than the 8030c thread, you will get close to zero, if not zero depending on how you count it. Hiss thread says 8030c is 5db worse noise than KH80 at 1M, but I struggle to reconcile that with our experiences (no audible noise at 19in with kh80 in my house at the quiestest, deadest time of night, vs 8030c hiss being barely audible 70in away for my friend at their house). Or perhaps my friend's hearing is acute. I don't know.

--

Someone has the SP9 stands using the LS50 Meta:

The Kantos are high quality and strong but I prefer the Isoacoustics for stability supporting LS50 Meta, especially being in Cali where the ground can shake and I feel will protect the speaks better. The Iso's do not resonate and the posts are like Gecco feet stick the speaks and desk.

The bottom plate of the Kantos is not real wide, get bumped, could topple. See pics:

Kantos 9":

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15Y6o3P45Jj_WkdkCqobfCKLj6IycTXAi/view?usp=sharing

Webninja

Forum Donor
I can confirm the lack of hiss with the KH80s at least compared to JBL305s.

The white Kanto SP6 finish is just ok. They are well built, but the paint seems thin and it is a matte texture. I think the finish should be better for the money. They are sturdy though and look good with the white KH80s.

The above setup is my wife’s. She one upped me big time. I have the JBL 305s on ISO 155s that put the tweeter at 19” above desk surface (standing desk). The stands are very stable, but not very aesthetic. Maybe one day I’ll get KH80s, but seems like overkill to have 4 in a small office

Jaimo

LOL
That is also an option! Hahaha nice idea. Any disadvantages of that setup?
Which speaker is that btw?
Not exactly a desktop speaker, it’s a JBL LSR708P, temporarily propped up on a SVS subwoofer

King_Pin

Like these?
They are the Gatorworks adjustable stands and I had an extension welded to them. Sprayed them with black plastidip and all done. I also bolted them to my desk due to the size of my speakers.
IMG_20210912_195311.jpg
IMG_20210908_023430.jpg
240724171_887642092179143_962987270344230245_n_ce9cd48b47167b3d0c48fdd23efc3196eb76dcc4.jpg
IMG_20210828_164135.jpg
81dIdi4J6NL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

m_g_s_g

Forum Donor
He, he. Here I quote myself quoting myself (in the KH80 thread):

I'm quite happy with some ergotron desk clamp stands that user @jhaider recommended some time ago. The vertical position can be changed.

[That’s a whopping two-level indirection.]

I own a pair of R3s as well. I think this stands could accommodate them too. The R3 have some threaded inserts on the bottom; no need for VESA mounts.

Hydrav

I received the K&M 26772 stands and am happy to say I'm very satisfied with them. I was afraid they would be ugly and flimsy but they're nice and sturdy with quite a bit of heft to them, and they actually don't look bad (my opinion, of course). I got them in gray and am happy I did, it's a nice color and finish, and also has a black accent.

The adjusting knob in the middle feels sturdy when you tighten it and leaves a very confident impression that it will hold the speakers. When I placed the speaker on top there was not wobble at all.

Also, I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the the knob in the middle can actually be reversed so it protrudes out the back of the stand instead, so you don't have to look at it. Although again it doesn't look that bad actually so if you frequently adjust the height of the speakers leaving it in the front would be fine.

So I'm satisfied. As soon as I pulled them of the box I knew the Kanto SE6 would be going back, I don't need to test them.

hexinho

I use yoga blocks to elevate my speakers, my table has built in elevation as well for the monitor which my speakers are on.

kodreaming

View attachment 169699

Nice setup. I just got my KH 80 and is thinking how would I mount them without using desktop stands. This looks pretty clean to me.
Only thing is I have to buy the VESA mount converter kits, which is 40 dollar a piece, but this seems to be best solution I have seen so far.

OP
BoredErica

BoredErica

White-PRO-Pair-wKali-wShadows_2048x2048.jpg

9in lift. Little tricky to hide cables behind them, but it should be possible to do so with some glue or something maybe.
At $190 though they are double the price of the Kantos. 9in of lift is really nice though. I don't understand why most stands are so short.

Doesn't fit a medium speaker like LS50 Meta I think.

Last edited:

decomo

AKER stands look very well made and fit for LS50 or similarly sized desktop speakers. Pricey though.

Jay's video (timestamp 5:00 onwards)

Walter

White-PRO-Pair-wKali-wShadows_2048x2048.jpg

9in lift. Little tricky to hide cables behind them, but it should be possible to do so with some glue or something maybe.
At $190 though they are double the price of the Kantos. 9in of lift is really nice though. I don't understand why most stands are so short.

Doesn't fit a medium speaker like LS50 Meta I think.
Nice design but ridiculously overpriced!

Top Bottom