• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Desktop Solution for Active Monitors with Sub

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello I'm currently using active monitors (KH120) with a Motu M4 and I'm thinking about adding a non-studio sub. I would like to replace the Motu with a device that has the following features.

1) USB input for use with PC
2) A volume knob for quick volume adjustment
3) HPF (~80Hz fixed ok) for mains
4) XLR output (or TRS balanced) for mains
5) Sub out (LPF or not OK as subs have filters too, balanced or RCA ok)
6) Small , so fits on desk

I don't need any mic inputs.

So far I'm coming up with a big fat zero, can't find any device that applies a HPF the main outputs. SHD is too big for my desk. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Wayne

(Yes , I know a Neumann KH750 would solve this problem but I want to have more flexibility on sub choice)

OP
W

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone? is there any solution?

Thanks
Wayne

OP
W

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Rme adi-2 might be able to do this. It has peq’s for diff outputs, and lpf/hpf might be options.

Kervel

Forum Donor
Personally I use a Minidsp 2x4HD, which doesn't have a volume button (nor XLR out). My keyboard has a scroll wheel for volume adjusting which I feel is even better as it's closer to your hands.

OP
W

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Rme adi-2 might be able to do this. It has peq’s for diff outputs, and lpf/hpf might be options.
Thanks for the suggestion. I checked the manual and unfortunately it only has one stereo dac:

"The ADI-2 DAC processes all audio in the digital domain. Having only one stereo digital to analog converter, different settings of volume, equalizer or effects for the three outputs is not possible when used simultaneously "

OP
W

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Personally I use a Minidsp 2x4HD, which doesn't have a volume button (nor XLR out). My keyboard has a scroll wheel for volume adjusting which I feel is even better as it's closer to your hands.

Thanks, if not for the lack of control knob and balanced outs it would be a a good choice. I seem to recall minidsp having a balanced version at once time. Also, there used to be a variety of open DRC devices in a slightly larger box with a volume knob but its not on there website anymore.

I'm not adverse to miniDSP but they don't seem to currently have the box I'm looking for for my desktop.

List of miniDSP devices that I own or previously own
SHD studio : current in main system
nanoDigi : current in living room system
2X4HD: previously owned
OpenDRC DI

If I forgo the volume knob , is there a good way to use the Motu M4 that I have already as a 4-channel DAC with software crossover and volume control?

Thanks
Wayne

OP
W

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

ribosradagast

I've got the same monitors (KH120) and am running twin subs from the RME dac - and I can tell you you're in for a hideously convoluted setup haha

My vote if price is no matter is for the KH750 - why reinvent the wheel when they've literally made the product you want already?

OP
W

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've got the same monitors (KH120) and am running twin subs from the RME dac - and I can tell you you're in for a hideously convoluted setup haha

My vote if price is no matter is for the KH750 - why reinvent the wheel when they've literally made the product you want already?
I hear you, I do think the KH750 would be ideal but I want to try a lower cost SVS sub (which should be more capable as well).

Was wondering if there are a simple solution that I'm missing but it doesn't appear to be the case even if I give up on either the balanced or the volume knob requirement.

ribosradagast

Speak of the devil - yeah I've got my KH120s sitting on top of 2 SVS SB1000s, which are way overkill for the desktop situation, ha

I have non-balanced running from the back of the RME to the subs, and balanced running from it to the monitors. On low-frequency content I am 1000% sure I can't tell the "improvement" from running a balanced vs unbalanced connection for 3 feet.

Money-wise, if you're thinking about ditching the Motu, that could fetch you a bit of dough on the used market to at least offset a little bit.

LearningToSmile

It seems like an obvious use case that should have devices catering to it, right? But I'm in a similar predicament and also didn't find an elegant solution that includes balanced connection to the mains.

I'm currently running an SVS subwoofer that does come with a high-passed output I'm using to run my powered monitors with. It's functional, but since it's unbalanced, I'm experiencing ground loop issues in some specific situations. I intended to simply use a pro audio external crossover between my DAC and sub and monitors, but both affordable units I've been looking at(from Behringer and dbx) I've read people on this forum testify to having audible noise issues with, and being PA gear I have no reason not to believe them.

This is interesting:
but a bit too convoluted. In the end I'll probably just purchase a toslink capable sound card and use that to get rid of my ground loop issues, because everything else is expensive to the point where it would be cheaper to exchange the sub for a studio subwoofer.

Kervel

Forum Donor
List of miniDSP devices that I own or previously own
SHD studio : current in main system
nanoDigi : current in living room system
2X4HD: previously owned
OpenDRC DI

Thanks
Wayne

You are the minidsp expert! If you have a Motu already, perhaps Dirac live software for PC is all you need? Seems to be $349 here: https://live.dirac.com/pro-audio/

OP
W

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Speak of the devil - yeah I've got my KH120s sitting on top of 2 SVS SB1000s, which are way overkill for the desktop situation, ha

I have non-balanced running from the back of the RME to the subs, and balanced running from it to the monitors. On low-frequency content I am 1000% sure I can't tell the "improvement" from running a balanced vs unbalanced connection for 3 feet.

Money-wise, if you're thinking about ditching the Motu, that could fetch you a bit of dough on the used market to at least offset a little bit.
This thread is useless without pics. I ordered an SB1000 pro

ribosradagast

This thread is useless without pics. I ordered an SB1000 pro
Proof or ban, as they say

F79F51D6-B00C-4CFC-9217-88DDE02A0900.jpeg

ribosradagast

WOW! o_O I didn't think you meant the SB 1000's up on the desk. You're a madman... and I like it.
You thought I'd just put them on the floor like some kinda pleb? Outrageous!

This way it's like a fully powered but also completely customizable 3 way up there

cursive

Forum Donor
And to the OP I would look at either active crossovers (unfortunately most are rackmount). I used to have NHT x2 crossover which would be awesome for this type of thing, but is only available used.

The other option are some of the nice monitor controllers out there. An example here https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1194932-REG/palmer_pmonicon_l_monicon_l_passive_monitor.html

Has balanced in, 2 sets of balanced out, but also a mono balanced out to hook up a subwoofer. I've seen quite a few of these dedicated active monitor controllers with similar arrangements from $200 to over a $1000 depending on exact needs. Some even have dedicated subwoofer out. Obviously these solutions require you to still feed it from a stand alone dac, so these wouldn't hook directly to the computer, but they do give you a nice big volume knob in most cases.

Top Bottom