• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Desktop Setup?

AudioSQ

After working from home mostly since the pandemic started I finally bought a desk. I had been using a kid's drafting table as a temporary solution for the "two weeks" I was supposed to work from home. At any rate, I now have some desk space for a desktop setup. I don't have a ton of room because of two large monitors but I think I have a little over 7" per side.

I've only DIYed for the past 20 years but thought at a smaller price point and size the ecomy of scale might play in favor of an out right purchase. I'm leaning towards Wharfedale 12.0s off a Sabaj A8. I'm trying to keep it all around $600 and I think the wife will already disapprove of that.

Anybody have better suggestions? Please share. (I'm sure the PA5 will work it's way in). I'm fine with active or passive. Just can't get too big. It'll mostly be for music at my desk while I work. I already have a M200 for the dac. Thanks for any input!

gorb

Forum Donor
OP
AudioSQ

AudioSQ

A pair of Kali LP-6 v2 would be $400 + tax. They are also 8.75" wide so you'd have a bit hanging off the side of the desk if that works for you.

LP-6 v1s are available for slightly less but the additional money looks to be well spent on the v2s.
V1 review: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/kali-lp-6-review-studio-monitor.17978/
V2 review: https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/kali_lp-6v2/
Thanks, I checked it out. It does look like a nice monitor, but it's just too big. It's wide and deep.

gorb

Forum Donor
Thanks, I checked it out. It does look like a nice monitor, but it's just too big. It's wide and deep.
Maybe the Adam T5V then? They're a little smaller.

Or take some of the money saved and buy a bigger desk :D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe the in-5 is narrower. More expensive but apparently quite good. Smaller Adam models would be a good option too.

Willem

Major Contributor
I used to have Diamond 9.0s for occasional use and was quite happy with them. The weakest point was that the tweeter and woofer did not integrate that well in near field (but only in near field). I also have the Diamond 220s tested by Amir and I am very pleased with them. If the 12.0s are anywhere near as good as the 220s (with obviously less bass) they would be very good.

qec

Since you mentioned you are a DYI'r I suggest "C Note" speakers as a kit for about $100. Add a DAC and amp of you choice and you can easily be less than $600. $120 speakers, Aiyima a07 $80, Topping DAC $110 - $200 depending on needed features.
Here is my setup with a Topping DX3Pro+ and a vintage Marantz (2245) receiver that I fixed up all driven by my laptop via USB. Mix of Qobuz and Spotify.

The C Notes sound great and reviewed well here as too. Surprising amount of bass. Parts Express carries the kits. It comes with everything you need except for binding posts. You will need: Soldering iron, glue and some sort of finish.

desktop_setup.jpg

Last edited:

hamidasim

I have a medium size desktop in my office and I work with double 24" monitors. There is a 20-25cm available area in the desk at sides of monitors. I bought pair of Dali spektor 2 but it seemed too big to my eyes. After that I have changed with Spektor 1's and so happy with size and performance. I have bought Onkyo 9010B model recently and I have tested today and I'm thrilled with performane of this setup. There is very detailed and powerful sound especially at low to med. freq. I can't believe my ears how is possible that amount of base come from small cabinets. The amp has internal DAC and I use PC optical out. That amp a bit bulky but I put them under the desk vertically next to PC case and I use this way. If you have DAC you need just clean sound chi-fi amp like Aiyima A07 and small to medium size bookshelf spk. If PC is your source then just use the DAC that you have with USB port. This way you can get cleanest sound for the amp. I hope you find what you are looking for.

OP
AudioSQ

AudioSQ

Since you mentioned you are a DYI'r I suggest "C Note" speakers as a kit for about $100. Add a DAC and amp of you choice and you can easily be less than $600. $120 speakers, Aiyima a07 $80, Topping DAC $110 - $200 depending on needed features.
Here is my setup with a Topping DX3Pro+ and a vintage Marantz (2245) receiver that I fixed up all driven by my laptop via USB. Mix of Qobuz and Spotify.

The C Notes sound great and reviewed well here as too. Surprising amount of bass. Parts Express carries the kits. It comes with everything you need except for binding posts. You will need: Soldering iron, glue and some sort of finish.

View attachment 178286

I have a pair of C-Notes that I built for my son's desk. I also have a pair of PE's Copperheads on my desk at work. Prefer to do something different.

OP
AudioSQ

AudioSQ

Neumann KH80 DSP? At this size probably end game speakers.
You had me intrigued until I saw the price was for each.

Interesting that most are recommending active. I generally prefer passive as I can try the amp out on other speakers. Not that I wouldn't buy active if I thought it would be a better set up. Thanks for the recomendations so far.

MRC01

Major Contributor
With your space and budget constraints, have you considered headphones? You can get better sound for the money, take up less space, and your listening is more discreet.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oops, they got a price increase. I thought I saw an offer of around €600 for the pair sometime last year butI may be wrong.
Interesting that most are recommending active. I generally prefer passive as I can try the amp out on other speakers. Not that I wouldn't buy active if I thought it would be a better set up. Thanks for the recomendations so far.
Active is almost always better in SQ per $ than passive.

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Another vote here for KH 80. Yes they are expensive, but they're also very nearly the best desktop speaker being made aside from Genelec 8331. They have built in DSP with app control, so you can EQ them without any additional hardware too. Lots of options for stands or mounting...

OP
AudioSQ

AudioSQ

With your space and budget constraints, have you considered headphones? You can get better sound for the money, take up less space, and your listening is more discreet.
And mess up my hair!

Really though, it's for seven hour stretches and I can't imagine wearing headphones for that long.

OP
AudioSQ

AudioSQ

I guess I should have specified, this is primarily for listening to music while I work, not critical listening sessions. It will not be my main system. If I'm going to get in trouble for over spending it's going to be for the main system. And I always plan on getting in trouble for that one.

Top Bottom