• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Desktop dac with 2 bal out

ningenjanai

Hi all, I'm new around here, and newish(still don't understand some stuff) to audio.
Nice to meet you guys, doing an awesome job here keeping it rational and objective:)

I need help finding a dac unit with
  • 2 xlr outputs, at least one of them need to be variable
  • 1 RCA output, fixed
  • Compatible with Windows 7 and Macos 10
  • Remote, kinda on fence on this, but I would prefer having it.
Just trying to drive my studio monitors and headphone amp from one unit. It would be nice to upgrade from my schiit jotunheim. My budget is $5-600 but cheaper the better!

Thank you.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
You will probably have better luck finding a XLR switch box instead.

Gabs

Schiit Jutonheim (less good than the Topping ?)

Gabs

Armature Oberon (french !)
and that's all for me.
I personally would opt for the Topping one, but digg for the Armature.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Armature Oberon (french !)
and that's all for me.
I personally would opt for the Topping one, but digg for the Armature.

Are you sure you don't have some more suggestions?

maxxevv

Major Contributor
@Gabs

You didn't read the requirements. Its 2 sets of XLR outputs.

None of your suggestions have that. Nor do all of them fall within the budget.

OP
N

ningenjanai

Merry Christmas season everyone!

@Gabs
Good choices but they dont have dual xlr outs, thanks anyway.

@Krunok
@maxxevv
@Dana reed
Thanks for the inputs everyone, appreciate them.

I've spent few hours digging around, and as maxxevv said, none were within my budget.
Instead, I found pro-gears have something to offer, but with a catch. A lot of the gears come with too many studio features like the mic preamp, and billion outputs and the rackmount faceplate... I could live with them so I will continue to dig further!

I forgot to mention I could live with TRS outs since they are bascially the same as XLRs, a balanced output.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Get a XLR swtchbox. It opens up all the various possibilities of DACs out there.
Dummy analogue ones are under US$100/- each.

OP
N

ningenjanai

Get a XLR swtchbox. It opens up all the various possibilities of DACs out there.
Dummy analogue ones are under US$100/- each.
Yea, that's also on my list of things to consider but I'm running out of desk space at this point. I have 2 headphone amps(excluding the jotunheim) and the dac/amp unit (also have a benchmark dac1) If you add another unit to the desk, its really starting to pile up and I want to keep my desk as simple as possible.

I absolutely need the stax amp, so I will most likely sell my headphone amp and the 2 dac units for a simple 2 unit desk-setup. Seeing how the well new dacs like SMSL su-8 and the topping DX7s already outdo my dac1 and jot, I'm eager to upgrade. If i can sell all 3 I can definitely up my budget to $1600 which will open up new doors for me.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
You could always stack the items. And maybe use a suitable sized desktop stacker / shelf.

Top Bottom