• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Desktop DAC + near field monitors/powered speakers

adrianobadman

Hi,

Currently, I'm using AKG Q701 + Audiotrack Prodigy Cube.

I'm looking to upgrade my setup with monitors/speakers. I don't have too big expectations: I would like the speakers to be small, really small. There is quite a large selection of small speakers, but it's tough to choose the right one ;-)

I considered the following options:
  • Monkey Banana Gibbon Air
    • I am convinced of these so far. They match the price/size requirements
  • PreSonus, probably the cheapest option:
    • ERIS BT 3.5
    • ERIS BT 4.5
  • Eve Audio SC203:
    • Expensive, but if it's worth it, I could do it
  • Mackie CR4-X:
    • visually nasty by a green accent
  • Fluid Audio F4
  • AudioEngine
    • A2+
      • overrated, but small.
    • A5
      • too big
  • Kanto:
    • YU2 / YU4:
      • similar to the above, although "4" dimensionally cool
    • Kanto TUK:
      • expensive, but maybe worth it?
  • JBL:
    • LSR305:
      • a little too big
    • JBL 1, Series 104:
      • apparently ok, but visually I'm not convinced
  • Yamaha:
    • HS5, a bit too big
  • KRK ROKIT 5:
    • significant, because of the type of input I would have to buy a different interface
  • IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitor:
    • Supposedly great, but hardly available)

If it is needed for any reason, I am also considering changing the DAC to something else (Motu M2).

q3cpma

Major Contributor
The Eve are quite nice, according to their spec; they even have an optical in, which you can use. You also have the Genelec 8010A, which are not that expensive in Europe (530€/pair); but you'll need RCA -> XLR cables.

3125b

Major Contributor
Where do you live? If possible, you should of course hear them first hand side by side.
I didn't like the EVE Audio 207 when I compared them to Adam A7X and some others. But that's probably not representative of the 203, wich are completely different.
Talking of Adam, you should take a look at the A3X, I'd call them the biggest sounding small speaker (similar in size to the Gibbon Air), a little pricey at over 500€/pair. They need balanced input (or some other measure) due to the potential ground loop issue. They are more of a commitment for sure.
The KRK RoKit are far from neutral, I find them pretty horrible to be honest. Plus they are known for quality issues. And, like many of the bigger monitors (LSR305, HS5 etc.), they are grounded, so you'll need to adress that as with the A3X.
The iLoud Micro might be an option, I've never heard them, but they are really small if that is what you need.
The Eris E 3.5 are ok for what they cost, a bit bright overall. If you have more money to spend, you can do better.

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I listen on headphones most of the time but wanted a cheap monitor option to listen to when working on the PC. Money was really tight and so I went for the PreSonus Eris 3.5 which I'm using with a Topping D10s DAC. I've also tilted them using Kanto S4 Desktop Stands.

To be honest, they're fine for what I use them for. I've turned the bass down to its lowest setting (-6dB) as it was a bit much for me. Like others have said, you can spend more and get better.

Last edited:
OP
A

adrianobadman

Really thank everyone for the answers. Especially "q3cpma", because I read your reviews o_O

I don't think I asked the question correctly, and I didn't describe my requirements adequately. You went for the most expensive of the options I mentioned or even suggested larger speakers.

The issue of space on the desk is not a problem for me, even 8 "monitors would fit, but I do not need and do not want such large ones.

The issue of money is also not a significant limitation, but I buy speakers mainly for my entertainment. They will not earn for themselves ;-)

Eve SC203 is probably the most I can do, and I don't want to spend more. A pair of Genelec 8010A costs more in stores where they are available.

I'm looking for something compact that will sound good at the same time. I will look around a little bit more, and I'll try to get to know the topic of small prompts better. Unless someone recommends and justifies the purchase of a specific model (pair) in the meantime.

Sukie

Forum Donor
Really thank everyone for the answers. Especially "q3cpma", because I read your reviews o_O

I don't think I asked the question correctly, and I didn't describe my requirements adequately. You went for the most expensive of the options I mentioned or even suggested larger speakers.

The issue of space on the desk is not a problem for me, even 8 "monitors would fit, but I do not need and do not want such large ones.

The issue of money is also not a significant limitation, but I buy speakers mainly for my entertainment. They will not earn for themselves ;-)

Eve SC203 is probably the most I can do, and I don't want to spend more. A pair of Genelec 8010A costs more in stores where they are available.

I'm looking for something compact that will sound good at the same time. I will look around a little bit more, and I'll try to get to know the topic of small prompts better. Unless someone recommends and justifies the purchase of a specific model (pair) in the meantime.
I suppose it depends on what you're really looking for. You want something that sounds good, like you say. The problem is that near field monitors sound good in ways that might be different from other speakers (all very subjective).

Are you trying to replicate a headphone transparency with monitors? Are you listening to said speakers in close proximity i.e. at your PC?

Happy researching!

OP
A

adrianobadman

I suppose it depends on what you're really looking for. You want something that sounds good, like you say. The problem is that near field monitors sound good in ways that might be different from other speakers (all very subjective).

Are you trying to replicate a headphone transparency with monitors? Are you listening to said speakers in close proximity i.e. at your PC?

Happy researching!

The speakers will be standing close to 50-60cm. I don't need to fill the whole room with sound. I am not sure myself, but I am probably looking for transparency (as you wrote) — any advice on a particular model. I don't want big speakers to clutter my desk.

twsecrest

The speakers will be standing close to 50-60cm. I don't need to fill the whole room with sound. I am not sure myself, but I am probably looking for transparency (as you wrote) — any advice on a particular model. I don't want big speakers to clutter my desk.
It might help to know were your are located on the planet earth?
I'm not an expert, but I believe you would want something with a woofer that is 5" to 6", for better low end.
Someone might have figured out how to have good low end with something smaller then a 5" woofer, but that beyond my knowledge.
If it not a budget issue, how about a 2.1 studio monitor setup?

OP
A

adrianobadman

It might help to know were your are located on the planet earth?
I'm not an expert, but I believe you would want something with a woofer that is 5" to 6", for better low end.
Someone might have figured out how to have good low end with something smaller then a 5" woofer, but that beyond my knowledge.
If it not a budget issue, how about a 2.1 studio monitor setup?

I sense sarcasm, I'm not an expert either, but it seems the 4 "woofer can produce meaningful bass. I'm sure I don't need a 2.1, in the past, I had the Behringer MS40 and was happy, and these are not high-end monitors.

twsecrest

I sense sarcasm, I'm not an expert either, but it seems the 4 "woofer can produce meaningful bass. I'm sure I don't need a 2.1, in the past, I had the Behringer MS40 and was happy, and these are not high-end monitors.
If it was easy to make good quality bass (with studio monitors, for a reasonable price) with a woofer smaller then 5", you would think the market would be flooded with them?

But I just found a bunch of studio monitors that use 4" woofers.
https://www.sweetwater.com/c405--Ac...JTcGVha2VyIFNpemUiOlsiNFwiIGFuZCB1bmRlciJdfX0

Sukie

Forum Donor
I've got the Presonus Eris 3.5s- see my post above. They're fine for what I need them for (near-field listening whilst working on the PC).

Serious listening (at night, doors closed, beer in hand) takes place Topping D50s-Atom-Senn HD 600. The Eris 3.5 set up isn't as good, but it certainly gives a decent account of itself.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
You also have the Genelec 8010A, which are not that expensive in Europe (530€/pair); but you'll need RCA -> XLR cables.

The Genelec G One is essentially the same speaker but with RCA inputs instead of XLR?

OP
A

adrianobadman

The Genelec G One is essentially the same speaker but with RCA inputs instead of XLR?
I can have G One for 590 euros (pair), which unfortunately seems to be quite a high price.

Have you ever heard of Audio Pro A26 speakers?
They have an optical input so I can connect them to the Prodigy Cube. I can have them for ~ 450 euros (still a bit much).
https://www.audiopro.com/en/product/a26/#black
  • Digital Class D amplifier, 2 x 75W
  • 1” textile dome tweeter
  • 4.5" woofer
  • INPUTS
    • Bluetooth standard 5.0 with apt-X® Low Latency codec
    • Aux In 3.5mm
    • TOSLink optical digital (only PCM)
    • ARC/TV (only PCM)
  • DIMENSIONS
    • HxWxD: 238 x 150 x 200 mm

Colonel Bogey

I am usually a Genelec fanboy but the bang for the buck of JBL LSR305 mkII is outstanding. I have them as computer speakers in my video editing setup and love the sound. But thats just a random opinion, I'm no expert.

FeddyLost

You can try to find Fostex PM0.4c - it's the same "activated" passives as Monkey Banana Air.
Cheap, decent sound.
In fact, more or less flat multimedia speakers.
But i'd try to fit into your budget something better, maybe even used.

OP
A

adrianobadman

I am usually a Genelec fanboy but the bang for the buck of JBL LSR305 mkII is outstanding. I have them as computer speakers in my video editing setup and love the sound. But thats just a random opinion, I'm no expert.
Reviews for the JBL 305P MKII are great, but I don't want nearly 30cm speakers on my desk.

OP
A

adrianobadman

You can try to find Fostex PM0.4c - it's the same "activated" passives as Monkey Banana Air.
Cheap, decent sound.
In fact, more or less flat multimedia speakers.
But i'd try to fit into your budget something better, maybe even used.
The Fostex seems to be compact enough for me. What distinguishes them from Monkey AIR?

Top Bottom