• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Desktop DAC+amplifier to drive the DT 990 250 Ohm (maybe extended to speakers in future)

intelfx

Greetings fine folks.

Let's say I got the beyerdynamics DT 990 250 Ohm as a birthday gift. Which is not strictly true, but it matches the situation close enough — I'm not a music / hi-end sound connoisseur, it just so happens that I have those headphones without any relevant knowledge and I need an audio system to plug them into. That is, I'm not looking for "the best of the best", but simply something that will allow me to use and appreciate those headphones.

A friend has advised me to look at the Topping D50s DAC (which is nice, and has Bluetooth connectivity), but apparently it needs an external amplifier even for headphone usage.
Should I get a JDS Atom or JDS EL AMP II together with it? Or maybe something else? Or maybe a different DAC altogether?
I would also prefer something that would match visually and aesthetically.

Additionally, I'm thinking of getting a decent desktop speaker setup at some point and I'd appreciate if my prospective headphone setup could be extended to that concept as well.

Last edited:

AudioStudies

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I went the JDS Labs route, and I chose the El Amp II over the Atom. El Amp II has slightly more power, improved parts quality (although the circuit is the same). Another big plus is the metal casing of the El Amp II (Atom is plastic).

twsecrest

For 250-Ohm DT990 Pro headphones, I would spend $100 for the Schiit Fulla 3 DAC/amp.

3125b

Major Contributor
Is it good (for whatever definition of good I should be using)?
Its not too bad:
(table with measurements at 3:22)
Doesn‘t measure amazingly and doesn‘t have too much power, but should be sufficient for what most people want for a gaming setup. Speaking in panthers, I think it would get the one lying down.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Id forget speakers at this point. Very different requirements of an amp and until you know what speakers, too hard to advise.

But given you may go down that road, you will need a dac with outputs to send to a speaker amp in the future.
I'd look at a combo dac/headamp and the best bang for buck there is topping dx3 Pro. If the 250 ohm beyers will be yoir only headphones you'll have no problems. It was site founders daily driver until fairly recently.

If you get the LDAC version it has Bluetooth for easy streaming fro your phone etc.

OP
I

intelfx

Id forget speakers at this point. Very different requirements of an amp and until you know what speakers, too hard to advise.

But given you may go down that road, you will need a dac with outputs to send to a speaker amp in the future.
I'd look at a combo dac/headamp and the best bang for buck there is topping dx3 Pro. <...> It was site founders daily driver until fairly recently.

If you get the LDAC version it has Bluetooth for easy streaming fro your phone etc.

Thank you very much. Yes, I do not intend to actively choose something for the speakers right now. I simply need something that can be extended to drive speakers in some indeterminate future without throwing away already bought hardware.

If the 250 ohm beyers will be yoir only headphones you'll have no problems.

Yes, I believe so, at least for the foreseeable future. Out of curiosity — in which case I would be having problems?

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you very much. Yes, I do not intend to actively choose something for the speakers right now. I simply need something that can be extended to drive speakers in some indeterminate future without throwing away already bought hardware.

Yes, I believe so, at least for the foreseeable future. Out of curiosity — in which case I would be having problems?

The output impedance of the DX3 pro v2 is 10 ohms. General rule of thumb is OI should not be more than 1/8 of the impedance of the headphones. Lots of modern amps are more like 1 ohm and some headphones are 32 ohm or less. When you fall foul of that 1/8 rule, it means it could impact the frequency response of the headphone, causing it to sound different than intended. Whether that difference is good or bad depends on which amp, which headphones and your preferences.

As it is , with 250 ohm headphones its not an issue here. But should you ever choose to get a <80 ohm set in the future, you may encounter the issue.

Also, note , this makes the DX3 pro probably unsuitable for a large raft of IEM as they tend to be lower impedance and also more sensitive to underlying amp noise.

twsecrest

Currently using my Fulla 3 to drive my 250-Ohm Beyerdynamic T90 headphones.
Currently the volume knob is at 50%, plenty loud enough for my 56 year old ears.

Monoprice studio monitors, $140.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=605500

crdhn

I'm going to butt in, I have DT880pro 250ohm and I'm looking for a nice DAC and amp for them. Doesn't have to be in single device, but I would like to be able to switch to speakers output with this stack (I currently have a pair of JBL LSR305 which require balanced input). Total budget for both is about 400-500usd, EU prices. Any suggestions please?

twsecrest

I'm going to butt in, I have DT880pro 250ohm and I'm looking for a nice DAC and amp for them. Doesn't have to be in single device, but I would like to be able to switch to speakers output with this stack (I currently have a pair of JBL LSR305 which require balanced input). Total budget for both is about 400-500usd, EU prices. Any suggestions please?
Your JBL LSR305 studio monitors do not require a balanced input.
Can we just assume you would like a balanced connection, for your JBLs?
For an un-balanced connection, Audio-GD NFB-11.28 or NFB-11.38 or R2R11.
https://www.magnahifi.com/en/webshop/category/Audio-GD

crdhn

Welll, I see "balanced input" on the back, so I asume it must be balanced... I don't really know =) I do know that the cables have about 7 meters to go from the desk to around the TV, so some form or interference protection would be nice. Still primarily to use with headphones. The list you gave me is quite long and full of stuff, do you have any particular recommendations?

twsecrest

Welll, I see "balanced input" on the back, so I assume it must be balanced... I don't really know =) I do know that the cables have about 7 meters to go from the desk to around the TV, so some form or interference protection would be nice. Still primarily to use with headphones. The list you gave me is quite long and full of stuff, do you have any particular recommendations?
Both the JBL LSR305's XLR and 1/4" (6.35mm) jacks function as balanced inputs.
But the 1/4" jack can also function as an un-balanced input, using a 1/4" TS plug.
A 1/4" TRS plug is used for balanced input.
Also need to set the Input Sensitivity switch for un-balanced input (page 7 of the JBL's manual).

crdhn

Alright, thank you. Any specific amp I should look towards then? Seems like Schiit Jotunheim has all the required outputs, but it doesn't seem to be worth its price (especially considering the case grounding issue)... I've been looking at Topping E30 + JDS Labs Atom, but the latter has unbalanced output. Or maybe just a rca to xlr converter would solve that problem?
edit: nvm have read this https://www.moon-audio.com/balanced-adapters-caution

Last edited:

Colonel Bogey

Alright, thank you. Any specific amp I should look towards then? Seems like Schiit Jotunheim has all the required outputs, but it doesn't seem to be worth its price (especially considering the case grounding issue)...

In a similar spot like you and just got a Topping DX7 Pro, retails at Eur 599 (Audiophonics). I use it in several ways: to feed a pair of JBL LSR305mkII (DX7 Pro provides balanced outputs), to drive my Sennheiser HD650 headhphones (300 Ohm impedance, similar to your DT880s) and I also consider using it as a preamp to feed a 1ET400A-based power amp.
A little over your budget but a solid and well sounding piece of equipment.

crdhn

Sounds good, after looking at it they also have DX7s which looks like it'll be enough for me and it more within my budget. Much thanks!

twsecrest

Alright, thank you. Any specific amp I should look towards then? Seems like Schiit Jotunheim has all the required outputs, but it doesn't seem to be worth its price (especially considering the case grounding issue)... I've been looking at Topping E30 + JDS Labs Atom, but the latter has unbalanced output. Or maybe just a rca to xlr converter would solve that problem?
edit: nvm have read this https://www.moon-audio.com/balanced-adapters-caution
An RCA (plug) to XLR (plug) cable is an unbalanced connection.
A balanced connection uses two matching signals, to function properly, RCA only outputs one signal.

crdhn

An RCA (plug) to XLR (plug) cable is an unbalanced connection.
A balanced connection uses two matching signals, to function properly, RCA only outputs one signal.

I do know how it works, but I had hopes that there would be cheap dedicated devices that take RCA input, generate matching reversed signal, and send across XLR to whatever other device needs balanced input; to be placed before long cable runs / directly behind amp. Thought now that I think deeper about how one could be made, I realized it would probably mean yet another amplifier, so that's pointless anyway...

Top Bottom