• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Desktop DAC/AMP Recommendation

john100a

Hey guys. I'm looking to get a recommendation for my desktop setup. I currently run a setup of a pair of powered monitors (HS7's), connected to a SMSL M3 via a cheap volume knob and I really want to upgrade to something better. I guess my only demands from the unit is to have a switchable pre-outs, so I can go from listening to headphones to the speakers with a flip of a switch. My headphones are not very demanding in power, and I'm not going to upgrade anytime soon (SHP9500).

Is there a unit that does this? I saw the NFB 11.28 and it looks perfect, but recent measurments kinda thwarted me off. So I'd like a few recommendations before I make a purchase. My budget is ~$400-500 shipped.

Thanks!

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Topping DX3 Pro is a very good little DAC/headphone amp with all the features you need.

EDIT: I’m not sure about the switching function actually...

Last edited:

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To be honest the NFB11.28/ NFB 11.38 is EXACTLY what im looking for.. but the lack of support/good measurements kinda scares me a little to drop $500+

I’d steer well clear of it personally. The measurements are terrible. Assuming you don’t want your DAC to colour the sound, there are plenty of sub-$500 options available, the DX3 is just one idea.

OP
J

john100a

I’d steer well clear of it personally. The measurements are terrible. Assuming you don’t want your DAC to colour the sound, there are plenty of sub-$500 options available, the DX3 is just one idea.

Being able to *comfortably* switch between headphones and speaker is a really big deal for me to be honest. Am I doomed, so to speak? I feel like $500 is not that "budget-y" either for my needs.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Being able to *comfortably* switch between headphones and speaker is a really big deal for me to be honest. Am I doomed, so to speak? I feel like $500 is not that "budget-y" either for my needs.

Surely it's not that difficult to find a good cheap device that has a switch?!

Are you sure the DX3 for example doesn't have a switch? It would seem like a pretty basic function of any device of this kind I would have thought...

OP
J

john100a

Surely it's not that difficult to find a good cheap device that has a switch?!

Are you sure the DX3 for example doesn't have a switch? It would seem like a pretty basic function of any device of this kind I would have thought...

Isnt it just adding another point of failure/potential point to have a dirty pot?

TimW

Major Contributor
The Topping DX7S has three output modes. Amp, DAC, and Amp/DAC. Amp is the built in headphone amp, DAC is the RCA or XLR outputs on the back of the unit. In DAC mode these outputs are fixed at 0 dB. In Amp/DAC mode they are variable like in Amp mode. You press the volume knob/control button twice to switch between these modes. When it switches it ramps the volume up from nothing rather then going instantly to full volume.

You would have to be sure you don't have music playing when you switch modes because DAC mode at 0 dB would blast your speakers. You could turn down the volume knobs on the HS7's so that 0 dB from the DX7s is as loud as you will ever want. This way the mistake of switching to DAC mode while music is playing won't destroy your speakers. It is a compromise however.

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I couldn't find the DX3 Pro User's Manual. I noticed the A30 has an auto or dual mode for turning off the line out when headphones are connected.
I'd sit tight until the DX3 Pro is released and the user manual shows up on "Google" searches, then check the User's Manual.

Maybe if you can't wait, a D30+A30 combo would work for you?

But, I believe you could still have a similar situation to the one TimW described above. That is that you could set amp gain to zero and line out on at the same time.

Last edited:

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How about something like the JDS LABS Element?

According to the product page the "automatic DAC Line-Output allows you to toggle between headphones and powered speakers at the push of a button." I guess that means switching is simple and easy...

It measures very well is very reasonably priced ($349).

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
How about something like the JDS LABS Element?

According to the product page the "automatic DAC Line-Output allows you to toggle between headphones and powered speakers at the push of a button." I guess that means switching is simple and easy...

It measures very well is very reasonably priced ($349).

I'd have to agree that the Element measures better and even at higher cost is still within budget. In particular, output impedance is quite low, less than an ohm.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
JDS labs have a good reputation for making good quality goods and after sales support making them a safe buy.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
... is to have a switchable pre-outs, so I can go from listening to headphones to the speakers with a flip of a switch ...

A switch ? Really ? :eek: Why you want to complicate a design, which is in fact very simple.

- The signals are available at fixed levels to the the RCA or XLR connections. You manage the volume adj. on the amplified speakers.
- You keep the headphones always plugged in if you do not want to be bothered by the plug-in plug-out .. You manage the volume adj. via the headphones volume knob ... electronic (i.e. via an I2C bus), or with an Alps potentiometer. When turned all the way to the left, the volume is 100% off, as per the very standard design. ;)

OP
J

john100a

A switch ? Really ? :eek: Why you want to complicate a design, which is in fact very simple.

- The signals are available at fixed levels to the the RCA or XLR connections. You manage the volume adj. on the amplified speakers.
- You keep the headphones always plugged in if you do not want to be bothered by the plug-in plug-out .. You manage the volume adj. via the headphones volume knob ... electronic (i.e. via an I2C bus), or with an Alps potentiometer. When turned all the way to the left, the volume is 100% off, as per the very standard design. ;)

What do you mean? How is it practical to adjust the volume on EACH powered speaker?

OP
J

john100a

Sorry for posting again, but I am really struggling to find a device.. so far the "DREAM" device would be the NFB11.38 but people have said it colors the sound..

Maki

I'd suggest you get something that's measurably 'perfect' and then buy whatever you want from there. Something like the O2 + OL DAC with a OL switcher would do everything you need, from there you can experiment with different things that don't measure quite as well. Seems kind of overkill for SHPs though, you should just get a Sabaj Da2 and a OL switcher if you're not planning on upgrading heaphones in the future.

I would highly discourage spending more on your source gear than your transducers.

westyjeff

I would look at the SMSL AD 18, powers my desk speakers very well, has a headphone amp that will power your headphones and adds Bluetooth for other sources.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Final word of warning for some perspective on Audio-GD performance: all the Audio-GD devices <$1k that I’ve seen measured have had worse performance than the worst-performing inbuilt laptop sound cards (Realtek, etc) that I’ve seen measured...

Top Bottom