• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Desktop DAC/AMP for Ultrasone Pro 900 $400

Hi,

Always a music lover, it must be over 25 yeras since my mission/cyrus audio days.

About 5 years ago I was using an iBasso D12 Anaconda portable dac/amp while working in-office. Seems like that last years I've defaulted to mobo audio out with some Audio Technica gaming headphones.

Dug out my Ultrasones and D12, and it was a revalation over mobo audio (again!).

Currently looking at the JDS Labs Element ii and Topping EX5. Would this be much of an upgrade over iBasso D12? Either option suitable to power the Ultrasones, and be able to hook up powered monitors if I go that way in future? Any better options for circa $400?

Thanks so much for any guidance now I'm finding my way back!

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Looks like the D12 will output less than 1 Vrms, I guess it was intended primarily for IEMs? Output impedance of 2.7 ohms is fairly low (certainly plenty low enough for any full-sized cans). It can drive 16 ohms competently but seems happiest around 56 ohms.
Specs for the DAC part are nothing too special (SNR 101 dB, THD 0.006%), routing the mo/bo audio into the aux in may actually yield better performance assuming nothing is screwed up on the driver / software side and it's a decently modern chip and decent implementation.

I'd say both options would be head and shoulders above the trusty D12, but I would prefer the EX5 with its balanced output as it would probably save you some grief with a lot of active monitors.

BTW, which model Ultrasone is this? Some of their stuff has been at least decent, but they're also making some cans that are ultra expensive and ultra terrible.

Top Bottom