• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

desktop dac/amp for headphone and speakers on the cheap....

cosmic

Good evening,
My first post here. Found you guys on my research travels and have read a lot of info here, super cool work from amirm.

So, i'm looking to purchase something to get away from my desktop motherboard sound. Inexpensive dac/amp around £100 / $130.

Something that has low headphone output impedance as i'm using 32ohm, and 16ohm headphones, and some IEM. Also would like to output to some active speakers sat on my desk.

I was all set on the fulla 2, as this seems to have the features I need, but kinda put off by the review from amirm. Then I looked at the fiio e10k but for some reason it outputs both speakers and headphones simultaneously. Kinda annoying having to turn on/off the active speakers etc. - Maybe at my price range this is still the best option. But then after some more scouting on the forum I had the idea of a portable unit such as a topping NX4, or fiio q1 mark ii, but then they don't have the speaker requirement as far as I can see.
The smsl ad18 or sabaj A4 looked very promising but both has a high headphone impedance (10ohm), I am under the impression it should be 8 times lower than ohms of headphones used..

Anything else I should be looking at guys?

Many thanks

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Given the price constraints, you may just want to go with the Full 2 since it wins on features, if not performance.

You could also put a switch box or something behind the e10k and use that that to cut the signal to your speakers.

OP
C

cosmic

many thanks for the response. that is a good idea with the switch box. but after careful considering i think i'll just save for another month or so and buy a separate dac and headphone amp such as topping d10 and modi 3.

i only have low impedance headphones currently and high sensitivity such as shp9500, so they don't require much power, but are susceptible to the imbalance of the fulla 2 at low volume. (just been messaging schiit to confirm this)

i mean i'm more than happy with the volume my pc audio can get to, its just not clean I know a dac will sort that but it seems i need an amp at the same time...

Top Bottom