• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Desktop and computer setup (Genelec 8330/RME ADI-2 DAC FS) feedback

mubix77

Dear all,

During the last days I have been browsing your incredible forum and came to the conclusion I would go for the following setup.
I will be listening to it on my desktop about 1m away from the speakers, inputs coming from the computer, as well as occasional turntable listening.
The room is very small, about 6x4m.
  • DAC/Headphone amp: RME ADI-2 DAC FS
  • Subwoofer: Genelec 7350APM
  • Speakers: Genelec 8330AWM
  • Accesories: Genelec GLM set
The only missing piece (I think) is how to connect the Technics SL1210mk2 (20 years old) to this system.
The RME ADI-2 Pro FS R has some analog inputs which I believe I can connect a turntable to with some RCA-to-TS adapters, but I'm not sure.
The price difference between the Pro model is also 500€ so I am more inclined to get some cheaper phono preamp since the turntable listening will only be very occasional.

I will be buying on Thomann, their Swiss website.

All of your input would be greatly appreciated.

AudioStudies

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For turntables, an ordinary (line level) analog input will not work, you need an input that is equipped with a phono preamplifier. So you would want to check whether or not the Pro version of the RME has phono preamplifier (phono stage) and whether the phono stage matches your cartridge (moving coil or moving magnet). Another issue that may be of concern to you is that even the line level inputs (or phono input if it has one) of the Pro RME may very well get converted to digital within the unit (I am not sure, though I suspect so). In that case, you won't get the analog sound that I assume you are after with the turntable.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
The price difference between an ADI-2 DAC FS and an ADI-2 PRO FS R is not insignificant, and the latter still is not exactly what you need. Given that this type of question is not exactly rare, I wish RME could be bothered to make a version with at least one consumer line level unbalanced audio input added, calling it an ADI-2 PRE or something. The most sensible ADC option for that may actually be an ES9820Q... its 116 dB(A) dynamic range should allow for handling up to 2.83 Vrms in (+9 dBV) easily. A phonopre could also be added if it's not too much of a hassle, but it's not like there's a shortage of those.

OP, do you have some decently fancy onboard audio going in the PC by any chance? Then I'd plug an external phonopre into the rear line-in with an RCA to 3.5 mm stereo cable while mobilizing a software mixer (Voicemeeter et.al.). This would be an opportunity to record as well.

It's not like you need the fanciest ADC imaginable for capturing vinyl playback, and even the basic ALC897 ought to be quite adequate, at least 24/48 and preferably 24/96 operation is recommended though. (Also note that input gain apparently likes to default to +6 dB and may need to be turned down a bit for maximum level handling. In case of my ALC1200 that would mean an input level of 50 instead of 82.) It is true that only the top-shelf models (e.g. ALC1220) get a digital filter with very low periodic ripple, but even the lesser ones are by no means the worst consumer ADCs I've seen.

mindcruncher

The price difference between an ADI-2 DAC FS and an ADI-2 PRO FS R is not insignificant, and the latter still is not exactly what you need. Given that this type of question is not exactly rare, I wish RME could be bothered to make a version with at least one consumer line level unbalanced audio input added, calling it an ADI-2 PRE or something. The most sensible ADC option for that may actually be an ES9820Q... its 116 dB(A) dynamic range should allow for handling up to 2.83 Vrms in (+9 dBV) easily. A phonopre could also be added if it's not too much of a hassle, but it's not like there's a shortage of those.

OP, do you have some decently fancy onboard audio going in the PC by any chance? Then I'd plug an external phonopre into the rear line-in with an RCA to 3.5 mm stereo cable while mobilizing a software mixer (Voicemeeter et.al.). This would be an opportunity to record as well.

It's not like you need the fanciest ADC imaginable for capturing vinyl playback, and even the basic ALC897 ought to be quite adequate, at least 24/48 and preferably 24/96 operation is recommended though. (Also note that input gain apparently likes to default to +6 dB and may need to be turned down a bit for maximum level handling. In case of my ALC1200 that would mean an input level of 50 instead of 82.) It is true that only the top-shelf models (e.g. ALC1220) get a digital filter with very low periodic ripple, but even the lesser ones are by no means the worst consumer ADCs I've seen.
+1 on this one. I'm looking for a preamp and was recommended to look at ADI-2 DAC and so much seems right but missing analog input is kind of a deal breaker. SAD! But you can't get everything, right? :)

Top Bottom