• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Desktop amplifier

Dalin

I work from home (like more of us these days). I like the pair of Epos speakers that I have on either side of my desk, but the cheap amp that I have powering them is seeing its final days. I'm trying to find a replacement, and I'm hard pressed to find something that fits my requirements:
  • Just an amp with a volume knob. Maybe I'll get a dedicated DAC someday, but for now I'm fine with the one in my MacBook Pro.
  • Small footprint.
  • < $500
  • Sounds as good as it can for that price point.
  • Doesn't look like it's about to fall apart.
Any recommendations?

BillG

Major Contributor
Any recommendations?

The Klipsch PowerGate is available for < $200USD currently. It's been analyzied by ASR, and found to have a decent power amplifier section. However, its DAC isn't the best - it's an integrated streaming amplifier, by the way. The way to resolve that issue? A $9USD Apple USB-C to 3.5mm dongle attached to your Mac driving one of PowerGate's analog inputs.

The PowerGate streams via DTS Play-Fi, which many find that to be less than optimal, also the stream runs through its less than adequate DAC. The way to resolve this issue? A $35USD Chromecast Audio driving the other analog input, thus bypassing Play-Fi and the internal DAC.

I'm using the above configuration for a desktop-bedroom system, and am very happy with it... :p

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...asurements-of-klipsch-powergate-dac-amp.7376/

Last edited:

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

TimW

Major Contributor
I would go with this amp from 3E-Audio, because it has DSP built in. I love playing around with EQ and room correction though so it might not be the right amp for you. It only has analog and BT 5.0 inputs and two channels of output but the amplifier chip is pretty good and their pcb layout looks decent. I'm waiting until there is more info about how to program it which will hopefully show up on this thread. And of course I would love to see measurements of it performed by Amir.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Not a small footprint. But hard to beat for $149:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RS202/Yamaha-R-S202.html

Add s Chromecast Audio as earlier mentioned, and/or an Echo Input and you have a versatile streamer

If you go to $349, consider the as301:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1079920-REG/yamaha_a_s301bl_integrated_amplifier_black.html

You get the robust TopArt Yamaha 'bank vault" design and construction, toslink in, better noise and distortion specs, as well as sub out, phono in.

If you can wait a bit, and are willing to take a gamble for $40 or so, you could bid on an RX-396. This is an older but similar TopArt design. I use one to drive a pair of Infinity R162, using a $10 echo input (on sale).. A RX-596 would be even better, and has been reviewed here at ASR, but maybe because of - is found less often.
https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/97323393

Personally, I always go 'full size' on my electronics, compared to 'slim line' or an otherwise stuffed compact box. I'm fortunate to not have to worry about WAF, and always seem to find a space, somewhere:)

Last edited:

Unclevanya

I'm not sure the sound of small NAD amps is good.

A similar model was tested by Amir:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-measurements-of-nad-7050-streaming-amp.6983/
That model isn't very similar other than form factor. It's easy to mistake it as such however.

I can't locate the posts now that helped me decide to try the NAD, but the company I linked has a generous return policy and the actual reviews I found were pretty glowing. I prefer my Yamaha WXA-50, but the power rating difference may be an unconscious factor with my floorstanding speakers.

Speaking of which the Yamaha is another contender.

OP
D

Dalin

Thanks all.

I went with the NAD. Partially because it is available here in Canada. For some reason some of the other suggestions are way more expensive in Canada. It arrives this week and I'm excited to hear the improvement over my current non-name amp.

Unclevanya

Thanks all.

I went with the NAD. Partially because it is available here in Canada. For some reason some of the other suggestions are way more expensive in Canada. It arrives this week and I'm excited to hear the improvement over my current non-name amp.

I think you will like it. One minor annoyance is that the back is cramped and so I highly recommend banana plugs over spades or bare wire.

Top Bottom