• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Desktop Active Speaker Recommendations

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would like to get some suggestions for a pair of active desktop monitors. I will be using them to play from my NAS stored music collection via my computer (jriver) and/or a matrix element streamer. My chair will be about 3-4 ft away from the speakers and about 2 ft from the wall.. The room size is about 12x12. I have never owned an active speaker so i would like to start off by spending less than $600-800 for the pair in case its not my cup of tea. IF i end up liking and using them a lot, i have no problem upgrading later. I would like to keep the size to 6" woofer or less. Measurement data for lower priced active speakers is rare so am looking for any input as to where to start. As of now, i have the JBL306p and the yamaha hs5 on my short list. I would, of course love a pair of Genelec or Neumann but for now they are not in the cards.
Those with experience in this area what other options should i consider.
Thanks, in advance

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would like to get some suggestions for a pair of active desktop monitors. I will be using them to play from my NAS stored music collection via my computer (jriver) and/or a matrix element streamer. My chair will be about 3-4 ft away from the speakers and about 2 ft from the wall.. The room size is about 12x12. I have never owned an active speaker so i would like to start off by spending less than $600-800 for the pair in case its not my cup of tea. IF i end up liking and using them a lot, i have no problem upgrading later. I would like to keep the size to 6" woofer or less. Measurement data for lower priced active speakers is rare so am looking for any input as to where to start. As of now, i have the JBL306p and the yamaha hs5 on my short list. I would, of course love a pair of Genelec or Neumann but for now they are not in the cards.
Thanks, in advance
Try to extend the budget to fit a Genelec 8030 or Neumann KH120 and I'm quite sure you won't want another speaker for the next 10 years minimum.

Vintage57

Forum Donor

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Try to extend the budget to fit a Genelec 8030 or Neumann KH120 and I'm quite sure you won't want another speaker for the next 10 years minimum.

This. You could also look for a used pair of these. Genelec gets my vote, but then again I am a fanboy...

OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you're worried about potential money loss, you can always trawl the 'bay for something used that can be sent swimming again if need be.

Don't the HS5s have this NS10-like midrange hump? That would rule those out for me tbh. The Yamaha to get is probably the HS7.

You read the post and didn't suggest something i already said i was not going to do. Very much appreciated and helpful. I will avoid the hs5's. Unfortunately the 7's are getting too big.
Apparently most everyone on this forum have infinite financial resources or dont care about what i am looking for.
Am not worried about money loss, i have more than $40k in equipment and am more than willing to spend more if i find i will use it more than i expect. Its about spending money wisely and like the sound of a speaker, that is subjective.

wgb113

For desktop use look for models that have some sort of compensation for desktop placement - monitors in the professional realm typically include this.

A set of stands to angle your stands up from the desk to your ears would help as well - IsoAcoustics is the most popular solution here.

Several offerings from JBL, Focal and Adam in your price range with different approaches to tweeters.

Go used and you could get into a pair of Genelecs, Neumanns or Dynaudios as well.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
If you really don't want to consider the recommended Genelec or Neumann models, the Dynaudio LYD 5 does look nice, even I would worry about distorsion with such an extreme crossover frequency. The bonus is that they're $400 less than the 8030C/KH120A pair while still being made in Europe and with nice published specs (sans distorsion/SPL); the sound power is especially smooth.
index.php

Attachments

• lyd5.png
    lyd5.png
    49.7 KB · Views: 2,598
OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For desktop use look for models that have some sort of compensation for desktop placement - monitors in the professional realm typically include this.

A set of stands to angle your stands up from the desk to your ears would help as well - IsoAcoustics is the most popular solution here.

Several offerings from JBL, Focal and Adam in your price range with different approaches to tweeters.

Go used and you could get into a pair of Genelecs, Neumanns or Dynaudios as well.
i am more than willing to go used and have scoured the used market. Little to no offerings (at least now) available for those 3 mfg. I am in no hurry so i will stalk

OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you really don't want to consider the recommended Genelec or Neumann models, the Dynaudio LYD 5 does look nice, even I would worry about distorsion with such an extreme crossover frequency. The bonus is that they're $400 less than the 8030C/KH120A pair while still being made in Europe and with nice published specs (sans distorsion/SPL); the sound power is especially smooth.
index.php
thats a pretty nice looking graph. I saw them but noticed they were $1000 retail for a pair. Add them to the list if available used.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Thanks, in advance

I run the 306P with the Khadas Tone Board mostly, though sometimes I connect it to my balanced DAC.

They are definitely not what I would call desktop, unless you have a decently big desktop ! (Check the dimensions ...they are significantly bigger than the 305p !)

That being said, they have a decent low end, leaves very little to be desired for a small room in my experience. Great imaging and good rumble. The mode switches make a significant difference to the overall sound. Do read and experiment on them to get the best of the 30XP range of speakers. But there seems to be quirks in its frequency response from online measurements. I have experimented with EQ on them, seems to make a little difference in the listening position. Outside of that zone, not noticeable.
For your budget, and room size, maybe a pair of 305p's (on sale) coupled with a 310S would work better for desktop duties. They should fit in at just under US$600 as a set. With the right timing, under US$500 for the set is possible.

OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
anyone have any experience with the adam a7 or a7x.
While bigger than i want, there are great deals on used ones. I could get a mint pair for at the lower end of my price target?

OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I run the 306P with the Khadas Tone Board mostly, though sometimes I connect it to my balanced DAC.

They are definitely not what I would call desktop, unless you have a decently big desktop ! (Check the dimensions ...they are significantly bigger than the 305p !)

That being said, they have a decent low end, leaves very little to be desired for a small room in my experience. Great imaging and good rumble. The mode switches make a significant difference to the overall sound. Do read and experiment on them to get the best of the 30XP range of speakers. But there seems to be quirks in its frequency response from online measurements. I have experimented with EQ on them, seems to make a little difference in the listening position. Outside of that zone, not noticeable.
For your budget, and room size, maybe a pair of 305p's (on sale) coupled with a 310S would work better for desktop duties. They should fit in at just under US$600 as a set. With the right timing, under US$500 for the set is possible.
Great input, thanks

q3cpma

Major Contributor
thats a pretty nice looking graph. I saw them but noticed they were $1000 retail for a pair. Add them to the list if available used.
The real problem is that there's nothing in the $600-1000 that's worth more than the $400 stuff like Adam's T5V or Kali's LP6. Everything under the $1000 mark is often severly compromised somewhere.

OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The real problem is that there's nothing in the $600-1000 that's worth more than the $400 stuff like Adam's T5V or Kali's LP6. Everything under the $1000 mark is often severly compromised somewhere.
Thanks for the dose of reality. its a trade off and decisions have to be made and the reason i am collecting info from people with a lot more experience in this area than i do.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the dose of reality. its a trade off and decisions have to be made and the reason i am collecting info from people with a lot more experience in this area than i do.
I remember a guy from Spain who asked here for advice on smaller desktop speakers and finally decided to invest a bit more than planned and got a pair of Neumann KH80. He was very happy with this decision. Me as well.:)

OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I remember a guy from Spain who asked here for advice on smaller desktop speakers and finally decided to invest a bit more than planned and got a pair of Neumann KH80. He was very happy with this decision. Me as well.:)
i am happy for him. are you willing to pony up the difference to make me happy?

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks, in advance

The $600-$1000 price range seems under represented in the active monitor market. The leading budget monitors are the JBL 305/306 (305s seem to be regarded higher and have been measured here) and the Kali LP6. I recommend scratching the HS5/HS7 off the list as that midrange hump is brutal to my ears.

Its hard to believe that the Kali LP6 hasn't yet been measured here, but should probably be on your short list. The Kali IN8 was measured, performed well, and fits squarely in your price range, but might be too big.

Summing up, my recommendation would be to either 1) spend less on either JBL 305/306 or Kali LP6 or 2) Spend a bit more and get the Genelecs or Neumans that are practically perfect.

Top Bottom