• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Desktop 2.1 System: Insert Subwoofer?

canoosa

Forum Donor
Greetings All,
Am trying to help out a friend who requires a high quality, compact, portable desktop system, something I have no experience with. For that matter, have never used subwoofers in my own audio system, as speakers are full-range.

His chain: laptop > USB > Topping DX7 Pro > Genelec 8030C (pair). That’s the easy part

Trying to get good bass inserted via SVS 3000 Micro Subwoofer (no XLR, only RCA) is the tricky part. His budget is limited to CAD $4000, +/-
Is there a way to connect this without some sort of intermediary? I know there are 2.1 desktop systems out there…..

Thanks!

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Easy.
Run cable(s) from the source, to the RCA inputs on the SVS 3000, then run cable(s) from the SVS 3000 RCA output jacks to the input on the Genelec 8030 C

OP
C

canoosa

Forum Donor
Don't think that's possible. The 8030C's don't have RCA inputs, only XLR - hence the problem!

I can substitute some other "Studio" sub for the SVS but it won't have the small form factor, unfortunately, that being a priority.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can use an RCA to XLR adapter cable (see Fig 2). Picture from the 8030c manual.

8030c.PNG

OP
C

canoosa

Forum Donor
Thank you kindly, sir!
Don't know how many times I've told my wife to "read the manual, first"!!!!

I DID think of "bastardazing" an XLR cable but dismissed that thought, supposing the Genelec input would not appreciate a non-110 Ohm cable...but if the Finn says it's ok, who am I to argue?

Thanks Again (and also for the reminder to "read the....")

Cheers

Top Bottom