• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Desk speakers (active or passive) up to ~1500€

OP
B

Buddelpudding

What do you guys think about this DIY alternative?
https://heissmann-acoustics.de/en/dxt-mon-vs-neumann-kh-120a/

I could get a ready-made pair for around 650 bucks, which is almost what the DIY kit costs. For KH120 I got an offer at around 800 a pair. The Neumanns of course include an amplifier. At the moment I own a small integrated Amp by Rotel (40W into 8 Ohms) with two sets of binding posts.

JIW

What do you guys think about this DIY alternative?
https://heissmann-acoustics.de/en/dxt-mon-vs-neumann-kh-120a/

I could get a ready-made pair for around 650 bucks, which is almost what the DIY kit costs. For KH120 I got an offer at around 800 a pair. The Neumanns of course include an amplifier. At the moment I own a small integrated Amp by Rotel (40W into 8 Ohms) with two sets of binding posts.

Looks just as good. If this was built as DIY, build quality may be substantially lower than the Neumann for which it is excellent.

The DXT-MON should be active. If not, do they have a crossover matching the one measured?

Further, I don't think you would have any problems getting the Neumanns serviced. For the DXT-MON, I am not so sure.

OP
B

Buddelpudding

The DXT-MON should be active. If not, do they have a crossover matching the one measured?
They're actually a passive design but were activated for the purpose of a proper comparison to the KH120 by adding a Hypex module (in front of the crossover, as I understand it).
Further, I don't think you would have any problems getting the Neumanns serviced. For the DXT-MON, I am not so sure.
Good point, although I have built (easy) speakers before, so that would not be totally offputting.
To me, one important difference is also the size: The DXT MON being quite a bit taller, it might be too dominant visually sitting on my desk.
And with the active design, I can always separate the Neumanns from my other system if I want to, which is a plus, too.
hm...

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They're actually a passive design but were activated for the purpose of a proper comparison to the KH120 by adding a Hypex module (in front of the crossover, as I understand it).

Good point, although I have built (easy) speakers before, so that would not be totally offputting.
To me, one important difference is also the size: The DXT MON being quite a bit taller, it might be too dominant visually sitting on my desk.
And with the active design, I can always separate the Neumanns from my other system if I want to, which is a plus, too.
hm...

I am pretty sure the Hypex was used to programme the crossover.

Also, a Swiss wood workshop has DXT-MON cabinets for sale: https://lautsprecherbau.info/de/heissmann-acoustics/heissmann-acoustics-dxtmon.html . That might bridge the build quality gap a tad.

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The KH80 don't. Neither do the Genelec 8320, Dynaudio Lyd/BM-series or many of the cheaper monitors such as the JBL 3-series or the Kali LPs. Digital input boards require space and add additional costs. The benefit to fidelity is in most cases negligible compared to the noise and distortion of speakers and amps.
I think (not sure, my connection is suuuuper slow) that genelec 8320 have a ad/da inside for room correction. Genelec 8020 likely not. 8320 are not cheap (625$ each at Sweetwater) wrt to the others.

OP
B

Buddelpudding

BTW, I wanted to let you guys know that a purchased a pair of Neumann KH 120 a couple weeks ago, and so far I am very happy with them. First I thought they sounded a bit dull and smallish, but the longer I listen, I notice what my floorstanders are lacking actually. Also I had just been used to a very (!) wide stereo image with no center image, which is now there with the desktop monitors.

Thanks to everyone for your advice.

Top Bottom