• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Desk setup for 500€

d0n.key

Hello friends,

this is my first post on this site, so please forgive me if I'm missing out on something.
I'm aiming to build a setup in Germany for max 500€ (roughly $600), that I can fit on my desk and connect to my PC via USB (any maybe phone via BT).

As I prioritize deep and smooth bass, I'd currently favor the KEF Q350s as speakers (370€), but I'm open to other suggestions, as they're probably a little overpowered for desk usage. (The KEF Q150s are just 40€/pair less though, and I assume the Q350s have better bass.)

To power them, I took a look at the Topping MX3 and SMSL AD18, since they are compact and come with an integrated DAC. The reviews on here aren't being too nice to them though, and I'm not sure if the MX3 (2x50W) is strong enough for the Q350s (2x 15-120W). I'm new to the whole HiFi thing though, and as I won't have to run the Q350's anywhere close to their limit, 50W could be sufficient. Also I don't intend to connect headphones to it, so the headphone port is not necessary.

The MX3 would set me back 130€, bringing the total spendings to exactly 500€. A decent sound quality would obviously be appreciated, but I mostly listen to Spotify anyway (because of compatibility range), so I'm not sure if the DAC/AMP is going to be much of a bottleneck either way.

There's been similar threads asking for alternatives to the Topping MX3 and SMSL AD18 - but the best answer came to be the Loxjie A30, and it doesn't appear to be available in Germany.

Also one setup I thought of would be the powered Klipsch R-51PM paired with a 150€ sub, but I'd personally prefer a 2.0 setup up instead of having to shove a sub under my desk.

If someone here could suggest a more suitable speaker or better AMP/DAC, I'd appreciate it - otherwise I'm probably going to order the MX3 and Q350, test them out, and maybe send them back.

Last edited:
Top Bottom