• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Designing a 3D Printable Case for the Khadas Tone Board

H

Hifihedgehog

Moving on since I'm certain we don't want to reopen that can of worms...

Is there any update on the quality of the Audiophonics aluminum cases? Last I read, they were printing them reversed and some of the screw holes were misaligned. Aside from @jbajci, Audiophonics appears to be the only option presently for those without machining tools.

Another valid option to consider, though certainly not as premium, is the piecemeal manufacture of a Front Panel Express custom panel for a Box Enclosures B2-080. In doing so, we could leverage @TimW's measurements in his front panel to prepare the file.

Last edited by a moderator:

kkronja

a few days ago I've ordered the Tone Board, and while I am waiting for its arrival, I decided to play a bit with idea of 3D printed case...I haven't started printing yet, but would like to share the STP files if anyone's interested....should be dead accurate according to sketches in this thread, only I guess the brass supports should be shortened for 2mm or so(btw...can anyone confirm the actual length of brass stand supports)

Attachments

• CASE1.zip
    435.9 KB · Views: 104
  • assembly2.jpg
    assembly2.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 164
  • assembly1.jpg
    assembly1.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 164

kkronja

thank you for the info...the case as designed needs 5.25 mm high supports...I could modify it to stand a bit higher, and match the supports that arrive with the board, but I prefer to make the case more compact, so I guess I'd rather cut the supports...I hope my KTB arrives soon so I can try it for real

systemshock

PaulZH

Moving on since I'm certain we don't want to reopen that can of worms...

Is there any update on the quality of the Audiophonics aluminum cases? Last I read, they were printing them reversed and some of the screw holes were misaligned. Aside from @jbajci, Audiophonics appears to be the only option presently for those without machining tools.

I have one from their new batch/supplier and that’s OK.

systemshock

As most of the 3D printable cases out there are intended for the generic edition of the tone board, I designed one, which should fit both the generic and the VIMs edition. (btw, the Audiophonics case doesn't fit the VIMs edition too). You can download the model here:

https://www.tinkercad.com/things/6O1gEjqziSW

Here is the thread about the box on the Khadas forums. There you can also find information on how to use the short standoffs to add ventilation to the box:
https://forum.khadas.com/t/3d-printable-case-enclosure-for-the-tone-board/4111

In order for the board to fit, it has to be mounted on the long standoff (the 14mm one). One would need 4 screws to attach the top too. The holes for mounting the standoffs are calculated exactly as in the CAD model of the board. Depending on how accurate your printer is, you may need to adjust them a little bit for the board to fit.

This box provides more space, so that it should be easy to insert the board inside. Also it has a larger area and should have enough weight to make it more stable. Before, I had my tone board in a small cardboard box I build for it. It took just a little swipe (e.g. when dusting, rearranging cables, etc.), to launch it flying in the air :)

Below you will find pictures of the model and the printed box. I used a third party service to print it for me. It was printed using ABS

1557254303873.pngIMG_5412.jpgIMG_5415.jpgIMG_5417.jpg

Last edited:

Frost

a few days ago I've ordered the Tone Board, and while I am waiting for its arrival, I decided to play a bit with idea of 3D printed case...I haven't started printing yet, but would like to share the STP files if anyone's interested....should be dead accurate according to sketches in this thread, only I guess the brass supports should be shortened for 2mm or so(btw...can anyone confirm the actual length of brass stand supports)

Ignore this if you're gonna use shapeways/somehow have access to a sls printer/have a dual extrusion printer that can do pva supports, but assuming you're using a single head FDM 3d printer like most of us, your design could be a hard print to do. The grill will take support and it seems thin enough that I'd be worried about breaking it in post processing if using a dense enough support infill to make it work. The overhangs from the rounded fins around the edge might also prove to be an issue. It'd definitely a pretty design though

kkronja

well, I do have an SLS machine at my work...considering the drawback of not being able to choose the color, this will be an easy task!

Frost

Lol, if the only drawback of print with the sls machine at work is not being able to choose the color, but you have your choice of material, then print in nylon, dye it later

kkronja

I have to ask my colleague but I think they usually use Polyamide,the product arrives matt white which doesn't look bad at all (printing is not my specialty, I do mostly CNC stuff)...in their "print booth" they have also a metal SLS machine(does Ti, stainless and Al) but that would be an overkill ;-)

mtnbrit

I have one from their new batch/supplier and that’s OK.
Yes the printing seems correct with the board mounted the right way. I found I needed to countersink the lower case holes so the screw heads were flush with the case, otherwise they would have been a surface scratch hazard. I could always attach some small sticky feet over the screw heads. Otherwise its a nice case.

Last edited:

systemshock

The case arrived today. It fits the board quite well. I have updated the previous post by removing the "not yet tested" warning and also have added pictures of what the printed box looks like.

With the use of a bit of fine sandpaper, it should be possible to make the surface smooth. I will try this later on and will update the pictures, if it turns out fine.

IMG_5417.jpg

IMG_5415.jpg

IMG_5412.jpg

Last edited:

maxxevv

Major Contributor
For those of you building plastic cases for the KTB, would higly recommend building in the venting holes for your cases.
The KTB when run at full digital volume into an amp can get pretty warm after an hour or more of use. And that was from mine built into a fairly substantial aluminium case with minor vents.

I would imagine it getting even warmer in a plastic case under similar usage.

KenG

Will the @Frost case work with both versions of the Tone board ( ie, the VIM compatible) or just the generic version? Just wondering in case I may want to add the VIM in the future.

systemshock

@maxxevv , thank you for the feedback. Here is a little modification that can be used to add ventilation to the box.

In short, one can use the short standoffs to raise the lid. To do that, you add a small deburring to the holes in the corners of the box, to attach the standoffs and sink them in the plastic, to reach the desired length. I have posted full details in this thread on the Khadas forum: https://forum.khadas.com/t/3d-printable-case-enclosure-for-the-tone-board/4111/3

Here are photos of the box with the modification and how it looks stacked on top of the JDS atom. The white thing in the back is an IKEA FÖRSIKTIG, which I am using as a €2 monitor stand :-D

2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

Last edited:

drewfIr

@systemshock,

Thank You, for creating a case for the VIMs edition of the Tone Board.

Have a few questions:

Can you share the printing service you used?

The standoffs you mention are the ones that came with your Tone Board,
correct?

To make sure I understand how it fits together. Can you please explain
how the Tone Board is attached to the bottom of the case? Hard for me
to tell from the pictures.

Thank You, much appreciated.

Top Bottom