• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Designing a 3D Printable Case for the Khadas Tone Board

graz_lag

Major Contributor
You are getting the Khadas case from this thread laser cut instead of printed? Any differences from the PL printed case to note?

I am sorry, I thought my post was clear ...
On that web site, I have ordered an acrylic-made case for another project, not for the Khadas Tone Board. However, the overall dimensions and complexity are very similar between the 2 cases (the one for my project and the one for the Khadas) so will be the costs, I believe.

tusing

Has anyone here ventured into high-quality metal (thick aluminum, steel, or PVD-coated brass) cases? I'd be willing to drop a good $50-100 on a case like that. Can you guys imagine how sexy a gunmetal-coated (PVD) brass case with perhaps a glass window to the insides would look? Perhaps a controllable glow to illuminate the insides?

I would be willing to pay a small amount if someone provides me with the 3D files for this, so maybe I could just take it to a local CNC mill and get something cut. Not entirely sure but PM me if you're interested.

It seems that even at $200 (if I were to drop $100 on a case) the Tone Board outperforms almost all DACs until you get to the $2k range!

WoodyLuvr

Concur completely!

Khadas Tone Board in Steampunk's Copper Tomb
Steampunk-DAC-HeadAMP_15.png

Steampunk-DAC-HeadAMP_1.png

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Has anyone here ventured into high-quality metal (thick aluminum, steel, or PVD-coated brass) cases? I'd be willing to drop a good $50-100 on a case like that. Can you guys imagine how sexy a gunmetal-coated (PVD) brass case with perhaps a glass window to the insides would look? Perhaps a controllable glow to illuminate the insides?

I would be willing to pay a small amount if someone provides me with the 3D files for this, so maybe I could just take it to a local CNC mill and get something cut. Not entirely sure but PM me if you're interested.

It seems that even at $200 (if I were to drop $100 on a case) the Tone Board outperforms almost all DACs until you get to the $2k range!

At this point it is better if you consider the DAC 1 from @March Audio ...
It is based on the Khadas Tone Board with probably some fine tuning added by Alan, all that stuffed into a super-nice CNCed aluminum black hard anodized case ...
JMHO

tusing

At this point it is better if you consider the DAC 1 from @March Audio ...
It is based on the Khadas Tone Board with probably some fine tuning added by Alan, all that stuffed into a super-nice CNCed aluminum black hard anodized case ...
JMHO

DAC1 is $450 - even if I dropped $150 on a case for the Khadas Tone Board, I'd still be $200 shy from the DAC1 price!

graz_lag

Major Contributor
DAC1 is $450 - even if I dropped $150 on a case for the Khadas Tone Board, I'd still be $200 shy from the DAC1 price!

Yes, you can save some money with DIY cases ... but prepare to drop some serious hours on it. :eek:
Don't forget to factor in your time, which has some value at the end of the day though ...
However, be prepared as well abt. the big difference in the final result will be the case finish.
Getting a great paint job or anodizing finishing on a metal case will require you to invest a lot more time.

IMHO, two are the available options in situations like this :
either you go for a cheap acrylic case or you go for a professional integration in a metal case like the DAC1
Any other solution in the middle will bring you compromised results ... :confused:

Also, resale value of your "no-brand" DIY integration will be very poor ... :oops:

Jimmy

Maybe the tone board was an afterthought for khadas, but I think they should offer a case themselves, maybe not a specific case for the standalone part, but a case that fully covers the pcb when connected to a vim.

I was willing to purchase a basic vim board (aprox. 60€ with case) together with the tone board, but the included case just has the opening so the tone board can be plugged on top leaving the naked pcb.

Sure I can cut a PVC sheet cloning the vim case top, but I would prefer a complete solution directly from the manufacturer, the added cost for a mass produced acrylic case/top should be negligible and increase sales.

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes, you can save some money with DIY cases ... but prepare to drop some serious hours on it. :eek:
Don't forget to factor in your time, which has some value at the end of the day though ...
However, be prepared as well abt. the big difference in the final result will be the case finish.
Getting a great paint job or anodizing finishing on a metal case will require you to invest a lot more time.

IMHO, two are the available options in situations like this :
either you go for a cheap acrylic case or you go for a professional integration in a metal case like the DAC1
Any other solution in the middle will bring you compromised results ... :confused:

Also, resale value of your "no-brand" DIY integration will be very poor ... :oops:
Generally, the resale offers you'll get will probably be used $ on the DAC board, with no credit for a DIY case. Most people probably won't sell at those $.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
That's what everyone's doing! I'd much rather prefer a beautiful, heavy, solid case.

I have a Khadas board on the way, will be building a machined case around it. But will have to see how much it costs when I get it done and validated.
Expect to receive the card in another 2 weeks or so.

Will share how it looks like when I get it done. But I expect mid February earliest for things to get sorted due to work commitments, so don'r hold your breath yet.

Last edited:

graz_lag

Major Contributor
This is my homemade case for Khadas Tone board- costs about 25 $ ...

In the $25 you mentioned - your time is not factored ... so you are right in tagging the job as "homemade".
However, the day you feel you want to let other fellows enjoying this case, would you keeping the same approach for which your time is factored at zero $ value ?
That might be the case for an additional case, or maybe two at the most ... But what your approach will be if you get a demand for multiple cases ? ;)

Top Bottom