• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Designing a 3D Printable Case for the Khadas Tone Board

cheaha

Code:
   LINE OUT    SPDIF IN     DATA/5V
  R        L

Last edited:
OP
TimW

TimW

Major Contributor
I was looking at Topping DAC's to see how they like to label stuff and the analog output labels were all over the map lol.

D10:
Line Out
L R

D30:
Line Out
L ch R ch

D50:
R out L out

I think the D10's style looks the best.

billqs

I didn't realize 3d printers had gotten so affordable! Does anyone have one we could chip in on material and print a large bunch of cases in one go?

fide

Do you thing about laser cutting? Model could be to use for 3D print a so for laser cutting (more parts).

cheaha

Do you thing about laser cutting? Model could be to use for 3D print a so for laser cutting (more parts).

To me that makes since. Find a kit that works really well, replace one part with a custom laser cut piece.

Frost

Is this thread dead? Or are we all still hoping for a 3d printed case design?

Read through the comments on the potential designs. Yes, you can create some pretty cool translucent patterns by making the part thin enough for light to shine through. if you're going for visuals on the port labels, engraved lettering might be better, because more wear resistant. Snaps or some other screwless designs should be easily possible, at least in my experience with the current i3 printer designs, most of them will do fine. And yeah, ordering from service providers is extremely expensive.

Frost

Do you have a 3d printer that you could use to do some test prints? Also, when the tone board is plugged in via usb c, is pin 20 powered to 3.3 volts? or are only the 5v pins powered?

Also, I blame you all for my latest impulsive purchase... and hate the fact that the board will take to the 2nd of December to get here

Edit: Alright, gave it a shot based of the dimensions from @TimW 's post. I'm also just gonna leave the pieces as a friction fit instead of designing some locking mechanism, at least for now... Please note that this could be completely off as I don't have the board yet, and have not tried test fitting it at all. Print at your own risk. Also, I plan on adding stuff like the labels after it's confirmed that the case itself fits

Last edited:

billqs

I don't have a 3D printer yet. Will eventually get one, but am neck deep in headphone and DAC purchases (go figure). I would help pay for a design and test for someone that has a printer (and more importantly, knows how to use it).

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Keep up the great work! This will definitely make the Tone Board an attractive option to a lot of people.

OldMold

Do you have a 3d printer that you could use to do some test prints? Also, when the tone board is plugged in via usb c, is pin 20 powered to 3.3 volts? or are only the 5v pins powered?

Also, I blame you all for my latest impulsive purchase... and hate the fact that the board will take to the 2nd of December to get here

Edit: Alright, gave it a shot based of the dimensions from @TimW 's post. I'm also just gonna leave the pieces as a friction fit instead of designing some locking mechanism, at least for now... Please note that this could be completely off as I don't have the board yet, and have not tried test fitting it at all. Print at your own risk. Also, I plan on adding stuff like the labels after it's confirmed that the case itself fits

I came across your design from doing a google search and really like the simplicity of it. My fingers are crossed for you & Tim to getting decent printable solutions going.

sometimes_ramen

Thanks for the model design. I'll tell you if it fits the actual tone board if mine ever gets out of customs. Originally I was making one myself based on TimW's dimensions but saw that you had made one already so I printed it out on my Monoprice Mini v2 with draft settings at 0.2625 mm layer height using some really, really awful old PLA that strings and under extrudes that I use for drafts like this. Came out mostly fine and the front friction fits as well at this print setting.

Edit: A little clarification on what I meant by mostly fine, there's nothing wrong with the model itself, just that PLA sucks.

Board doesn't show up for a few days, but tried my hand at printing the ABS case for it. Print came out a bit sloppy but design looks good, now I just hope the board fits.
Photo Nov 30, 6 50 59 PM.png

I'm happy to help with prototyping if this doesn't fit on the first pass.

Last edited:

Frost

According to the estimate from octopi using hatchbox pla black from Amazon at $19.99 per 1kg roll and assuming you slice at 100% infill, it's 31.30 grams for the body and 4.39 grams the back plate which translates to $0.82 and $0.11 of material respectively, using probably a tad more than 3 hrs of print time for a decently sturdy 3d printer. Of course, this assumes no print fails and other potential issues

Last edited:

billqs

This is exciting! It's amazing what can be accomplished in an Open Source Team!

wyrainer

my case for tone board is done..

I used a khadas diy case and a 3d printable middlepart...

if anyone want to get a same one, you can download the 3d model file

My english is poor, so let picture speak:
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Attachments

• MiddlePartModel.zip
    90.6 KB · Views: 158
Top Bottom