• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dense Home: New integrated DAC Amp announcement

dense

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Hi, we hope everyone is doing safe and well!

We are Dense and wanted to share a new product that's planned to release in July 2021.

Our first DAC was a small portable DAC Dense Adapt out in 2019. And after a year, we wanted to make a better DAC and integrate a higher power amplifier so that it can be used with loudspeakers.

Amir's Dense Adapt review.

So we have designed a new desktop DAC Amp Dense Home.
Dense Home Side.png

We tried to fit in as many connectors to support many devices that we use every day. USB-C connectors can connect to computers, smartphones and also to the HDMI ARC port of many digital TVs. HDMI ARC needs a USB-C to HDMI converter, but it's widely available.
We are using ES9038PRO for the DAC, and we are testing the PCB to have a SINAD of at least 115dB for both balanced and unbalanced output. It's a little lower for the loudspeaker outputs from our testing, and we are expecting it to be around 100dB at max 35W stereo output.

Dense Home Lifestyle Headphones.png

It's available for preorder at Kickstarter for $299. We expect the retail price to be $799 or a little lower. Don't miss your chance!
For more information, please click this link for the campaign page.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dense/dense-home

We are happy to answer any questions. Please let us know!

Best regards,

sam

Is the top stone? Looks like I have to lift weights before I purchase one of these;)

OP
dense

dense

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Is the top stone? Looks like I have to lift weights before I purchase one of these;)
Hi Sam, we are using Corian Solid Surface for the top. It's often used in kitchen countertops and it's lighter than the usual limestones. I'm sure you are already fit enough to lift Dense Home.;)

TimW

Major Contributor
That's neat looking box with interesting touch control. The measurements you propose are great too of course. 35 watts isn't much to work with, and the ability to run it bridged with a second unit using a digital link is very cool, but for only 70 watts per channel at double the cost I'm not sure how popular of an option that will be. The only thing that would prevent me from recommending it in the future is the lack of room correction and the ability to add a subwoofer. It would be nice if you added an option to output to speakers and analog out at the same time for that purpose.

I also see Spotify support mentioned on the Kickstarter page. How would that work?

OP
dense

dense

Audio Company
Forum Donor
That's neat looking box with interesting touch control. The measurements you propose are great too of course. 35 watts isn't much to work with, and the ability to run it bridged with a second unit using a digital link is very cool, but for only 70 watts per channel at double the cost I'm not sure how popular of an option that will be. The only thing that would prevent me from recommending it in the future is the lack of room correction and the ability to add a subwoofer. It would be nice if you added an option to output to speakers and analog out at the same time for that purpose.

I also see Spotify support mentioned on the Kickstarter page. How would that work?
It was tough for us to decide whether to have the subwoofer support or not. The manufacturing cost would increase slightly, but the bigger problem was the increased size of Dense Home. Our goal was to make it as compact as possible that could fit on a small table too.
But thanks for pointing it out and sharing your suggestion. Maybe we could bridge the two units and have one unit as a Stereo amp another one as the sub amp.
We will definitely look into this.

For Spotify, our boards support network connections through the USB-C ports(Just like the HDMI connection, this will also need a USB-C to Ethernet converter.). Once we are connected to the network, you can use your phones or computers to stream music from the Dense Home.

TimW

Major Contributor
It was tough for us to decide whether to have the subwoofer support or not. The manufacturing cost would increase slightly, but the bigger problem was the increased size of Dense Home. Our goal was to make it as compact as possible that could fit on a small table too.
But thanks for pointing it out and sharing your suggestion. Maybe we could bridge the two units and have one unit as a Stereo amp another one as the sub amp.
We will definitely look into this.

For Spotify, our boards support network connections through the USB-C ports(Just like the HDMI connection, this will also need a USB-C to Ethernet converter.). Once we are connected to the network, you can use your phones or computers to stream music from the Dense Home.
Wow so this is a streamer as well? That should definitely be mentioned on the Kickstarter page if it is confirmed. As for the subwoofer output, most standard home subwoofers are self-powered and have stereo line level inputs. All you need to do is allow the analog outputs to work at the same time as the speaker outputs.

OP
dense

dense

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Wow so this is a streamer as well? That should definitely be mentioned on the Kickstarter page if it is confirmed. As for the subwoofer output, most standard home subwoofers are self-powered and have stereo line level inputs. All you need to do is allow the analog outputs to work at the same time as the speaker outputs.
Spotify is our stretch goal in our campaign, but we are already working on supporting Spotify. We plan to update the firmware to support Spotify in the near future.

JDragon

Excited to see an innovative use of USB-C as a multi-purpose port for audio devices. I don't have a use for this (yet) but I backed anyways because I am sure I can find one in 5 months. :)

Any plans for Chromecast/Airplay/Roon compatibility?

JEarle

Forum Donor
Given that one of the use case images shows it being used for TV audio, will there be a remote control?

OP
dense

dense

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Excited to see an innovative use of USB-C as a multi-purpose port for audio devices. I don't have a use for this (yet) but I backed anyways because I am sure I can find one in 5 months. :)

Any plans for Chromecast/Airplay/Roon compatibility?
We currently have development plans for Spotify, but we plan to expand our connectivities as much as possible in the future.

OP
dense

dense

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Given that one of the use case images shows it being used for TV audio, will there be a remote control?
HDMI ARC connection has a CEC communication protocol that the TV use to control any connected devices. You can use your TV remote to control TV volume. There is no remote controller for Dense Home.

OP
dense

dense

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Did I read the power specs correctly? 35 WPC at 4 ohms? Could you tell me the FTC power rating for this amp? Thank you. Jim
This is the RMS power. I will check the FTC ratings with our team.

What a neat product!

Do you think you would release a 4-channel amplifier in the future?
We are only working on Dense Home now, but we had thought about wider design to fit in more ports and connectors. We are not sure when this will be.o_O

JEarle

Forum Donor
Maybe I’m being stupid, but where do you plug headphones in?

dmac6419

Major Contributor
I remember this from aa couple of months ago,forgot all about it $299 sounds good.

I actually have a use for something like this, I still have some old B&W speakers with limited power handling. That might make me a unicorn. Most speakers made in the last 40 years have lower sensitivity and higher power handling. I like the look and one box form, but you are not going to sell this (35 watts at best) to audiophiles except as part of a secondary system. The use case is that, or dorm rooms and small apartments. Still a good market, but competing with sound bars and things like the Naim Muso (which has a streamer). As I said, I like it, but would not pay more than US$ 4-500 for this device. All in with speakers (and you need to at least test and recommend something suitable for your intended audience) you need to be under US$ 1,000.

Top Bottom