• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon zone2 questions and general comments

radix

Major Contributor
I have a downstairs in-law unit. There will be a Denon 6700 in there for a mini-home theater (5.2.2) [I got the 6700 for the amp power]. The in-law's bedroom is maybe 25' - 30' feet away. I am thinking of using Zone 2 for a bedroom TV and speakers.

Does it make any sense to try and use zone 2? Or should I simply put a simpler AVR in there, like a Denon 1700? I assume I'd need to run a long HDMI cable + an IR repeater cable to the "Remote In". By the time I pay for the cable runs and 4k hdmi extenders, I doubt I'm really ahead of the game much. And I assume I'd need to start using 2 remote, as zone 2 is not ARC/eARC?

I guess I'm also searching for a use for zones 2 + 3. I could possibly see the living room AVR feeding the dining room speakers w/ zone 2, but otherwise I'm mostly drawing a blank.

If you have any general comments about using zone 2 or zone 3, I'm interested in hearing about it.

Thanks for any advice and your insights.

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'd probably get a second AVR unless you see value in playing the same content at both locations at the same time. There is some behavior with zones on my Denon X4300H that I don't like, but I've gotten used to. As an example, if I'm watching TV in zone 1 and I try to stream AirPlay to the Deneon (which isn't zone specific), it will go to Zone 2 (which is outside on my deck) rather than switch Zone 1 to AirPlay, because it sees zone 1 is in use. I wish I could tell it not send anything to zone 2 unless it's already turned on, but you can't do that. Instead, sometimes I just accidentally blast music outside until I figured out what I did. I'd at least play with the dual zones to see what zones get selected when, and how and when they turn off to see if it fits your use case.

OP
radix

radix

Major Contributor
I'd probably get a second AVR unless you see value in playing the same content at both locations at the same time. There is some behavior with zones on my Denon X4300H that I don't like, but I've gotten used to. As an example, if I'm watching TV in zone 1 and I try to stream AirPlay to the Deneon (which isn't zone specific), it will go to Zone 2 (which is outside on my deck) rather than switch Zone 1 to AirPlay, because it sees zone 1 is in use. I wish I could tell it not send anything to zone 2 unless it's already turned on, but you can't do that. Instead, sometimes I just accidentally blast music outside until I figured out what I did. I'd at least play with the dual zones to see what zones get selected when, and how and when they turn off to see if it fits your use case.

I have a small TV on a mobile stand (use it in an exercise room), maybe I'll wheel it in and try zone 2 to see how the user experience is. I think a 2nd avr is likely the right answer.

Thanks

Top Bottom