• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon X4700H Pre-Amp Mode not working

Third Life

Hi Guys,

so now that i have upgraded to a nice pair of Speakers and since my old Marantz PM7001 is kinda dying i also got myself a Denon 4700 to move the old speakers back as surrounds and the new ones as new main fronts.

Now is it correct, that if i want to connect an external amp to the Denon Pre-Outs i will have to set it to 11.1 mode to disconnect the Front L/R Channels ? I have no other setting called "Pre-Out" that other people have shown in Screenshots. Which now means the Amp will always run which leads to the Amir described problem of Clipping above 1.4V which i would like to circumvent.

Picture below where i think there is a menu option missing and i have no idea how to activate it:

IMG_1323.jpg

Best Regards,
Ben

oupee

You must have 11 speakers to use front-preout mode. Otherwise, connect the power amplifier to the front-preout but the internal amplifier will be active. This is what hell looks like :D

OP
T

Third Life

You must have 11 speakers to use front-preout mode. Otherwise, connect the power amplifier to the front-preout but the internal amplifier will be active. This is what hell looks like :D

As far as the Manuals state and what i've read (also here) this should work with any amount of speakers.

I am having a 4.1 setup here, the only thing i want is to use the Front Pre-Out with the Front-Amp-Disconnect so that
amp stage will be powered off. I should definitely be able to configure the Fronts as Pre Out only.

oupee

No :D Configure 7 speakers and 4 top speakers. The 4700 has 9 amplifiers and now offers you a front or top preout. Before I returned the 4700, I tried. We will all pray that this will change in the next firmware update :D

OP
T

Third Life

No :D Configure 7 speakers and 4 top speakers. The 4700 has 9 amplifiers and now offers you a front or top preout. Before I returned the 4700, I tried. We will all pray that this will change in the next firmware update :D

Thanks you nailed it. Shit how stupid is that...

Sorry for the maybe dumb question but i tried for hours now and decided i'd rather ask than die stupid. :facepalm::D

amper42

Major Contributor
Thanks you nailed it. Shit how stupid is that...

Sorry for the maybe dumb question but i tried for hours now and decided i'd rather ask than die stupid. :facepalm::D

Yes, I noticed this change from the Denon 4500 to the 4700. You have to assign all 11.1 speakers to get the dialog use "Fronts on Pre-outs".

The best work around is to setup "Pre-out only" mode and use it with external amps. You can then save that configuration using the Audyssey app on Preset #2 and go to it anytime you want while having Preset #1 setup using Denon internal amps. It really easy to load configurations with the. app. Much better than setting them up each time manually. AND you can create as many configurations as you want.
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/audyssey-multeq-editor-app/id1210584625

ubiq

Forum Donor
Hi,
I'm not sure I understand clearly... Do you think I can use the Denon as a pure preamp if I only output the main speakers (front and right) and connect it to an ext. amp? I just need a 2.0 (or 2.2) setup...

amper42

Major Contributor
If you want to bypass the internal Denon 4700 amps and just use the AVR as a pre-amp it's certainly possible.
1. Go to Speakers: Amp Assign
2. Select Pre-out mode
3. Use the Front/Right pre-outs to connect external amp to front speakers
4. Run Audyssey using the Audyssey MultEQ Editor app and select stereo mode with subs
5. Once Audyssey is completely setup save it on your iPad or phone and upload the setting to the Denon 4700 as Preset 1.

Now every time you select Preset 1 the 4700 will be in pre-out mode for stereo listening. You can also go through this process and setup a 5.2 or 7.2.4 in amp assign and save it as Preset 2. This way you have one preset that just uses the ext amp and another that also uses the internal amps. All at the touch of a button.

Last edited:

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor

He wants to use it in full preamp mode, disconnecting all the amplifiers. This is a simple setting, as amper42 explains 2 posts above this one.

I also explain the use cases with screen shots here:

Last edited:
Top Bottom