• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon x4700 + Emotiva xpa9 - HT Sounds seems bland

ChrisH-CT

I would also share the concern of others for some kind of Dynamic Range compression happening. Nearly every device in a modern setup has a DRC feature nowadays, so it's important that you look at the audio settings of every device in your signal chain. This is the only way to be absolutely sure that no function is enabled that could be crushing the signal.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

So currently, ive got the denon x4700 in preamp mode into the Emotiva,
Speakers are :
kilpsch RP8000, rp-504, rp-402, 4 b&w cm35 atmos, 2x rel s5 and 1x rel t7.

Ive run audyssey etc and changed the usual before sending the config to the receiver.

My issue is that, firstly ive got to have the volume at about -10 to get “decent” experience. But at the same time i feel like there is something missing ( i know it sounds silly) but movies lack the sharp crispness ( if thats what one can call it )

certain scenes, like the race scene in ready player one, when he chucks his car and it transforms, the the audio is rather soft and bland as its changing.

I am not sure what i am missing . Ive run it both with reference and flat, And its changed it slightly but nothing to make me jump for joy.

Any Help be appreciated. I still have the option to swap it out for the x6700 but not sure again if this will be justified.

Thanks in advanced
I didn’t see if you have added any room curve? In particular something like +5 from 200 to 20hz. Looks like you have tried quite a few things so far.

ChrisH-CT

I'm also wondering....
* what source are you using for content ? Is it set to pass the audio bitstream ?
* what surround mode are you using ? Have you tried different modes ?
* is Cinema Eq turned off ? (If applicable on your unit and in the mode you're using)

Top Bottom