• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon X4000 benefit to C by adding stereo amp?

Monosauras

Hey everyone

I recently upgraded my speakers but find my current amplification isn’t cutting it.

My new speakers are 4ohm, and need to power them at around 70 to get the same kind of volume I used to get at 50. I’m about to add surrounds back into it as well which will further increase the load (initially in a 5.1 config, upgrading to 7.1 once I have some space. All surrounds are 6ohm).

I’d like to buy a power amplifier to help out with the fronts, however I’m struggling to find anything other than 2 channel at a reasonable price locally (Australia, and looking to spend around $2k, so hopefully used).

I’ve found Tonewinner and AMC, but struggling to find much in the way of measurements online.

SO, I’m wondering if a stereo amp would help? Currently looking at a used NAD c298.

This would mean:
LR powered by NAD
C and surrounds powered by Denon X4000

Would this make sense? Would taking the strain of the LR off of the Denon give it more power for the C? (as far as I know I’d be turning off internal amplification of the LR).

Anything else obvious that I’m missing? Still very novice.

Thank you

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Did you look amplifiers from March Audio (HQ in Australia)?

OP
M

Monosauras

Thanks for your replies, guys. Unfortunately the March Audio amps are a bit high for my budget at the moment, and importing with GST is a bit much as well.

HOWEVER, I found a used Yamaha MX-A5200 for a good price, so I've picked that up, and just waiting on my interconnects to arrive, then I'm golden.

Thanks!

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you recalibrate the avr? You should be able to get equal volume at that same volume scale level.

OP
M

Monosauras

Did you recalibrate the avr? You should be able to get equal volume at that same volume scale level.

Yup. Ran a full audessey calibration on it upon connecting the speakers. Hopefully once all the cables and new furniture arrive to accomodate my new amp, I’ll be all golden.

Top Bottom