• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon X3800H Dolby Atmos gain?

Avamander

I think this question might apply to all Denon AVRs, not just the X3800H, but is there a way to set a separate gain for Atmos and DTS:X?

The reason why I'm asking is that any Atmos or DTS:X content is significantly quieter than say any stereo content, this forces me to adjust the volume quite often which is annoying.

A small default gain would fix this issue for me to a large extent.

Andysu

Major Contributor
you need vu led meters on the outputs if with separate dsp loud speaker management , amps then you'll see the levels and yes most , native atmos mixers mixes are rubbish only few are decent enough bothering with out of the ten no - years it now . most %%% are rubbish with few seconds or few minutes worth of overhead sound . Gravity is still by far best that uses it from start to end credits . fake atmos mixes are always active use matrix to scam , con you , rip you off , daylight robbery . got watch out for those ones . " twister " is one of those fake scam atmos . any old movie will be a fake atmos , avoid buying it .

the sound of the overhead sounds same as the regular channels put though certain matrix to filter down as much of the tail tail signs of the regular channels but won't get past my listening ears . i heard to many fakes now i can easily spot then in less than 1 minute .

and yeah , i use the rubbish Denon AVC-X8500H rubbish meaning the Dolby dsu is rubbish the dts neural x is rubbish the auro is rubbish as upmixer , its a matrix decoder ! its attached to the front L R which is why it sounds rubbish . what they should have done is have matrix decoder for

front L R
side surround L R ( also known as common regular surround )
back surround L R

the above would have been better at decoding and placing far better matrix use with 5.1 7.1

also proper Dolby matrix decoder for Dolby Stereo 4.2.4 mixes such as laserdisc or dvd , don't want to mention the other formats what a scam the studios are doing , with tampering with mixes and these near field mixes , really fang me to the teeth

the whole market for Dolby sound on avr to trinnov today isn't worth owning . you can install the real pro-logic for Dolby 4.2.4

Dolby PLIIx is okay at expanding the regular surround channel so sounds on movies like , " mission to mars " scene has dialouge pan that moves from centre to right surround to right rear back to left rear back to left side surround and back to centre .

Dolby dsu makes a total mess of it ! it adds crosstalk from centre channel into its own Dolby dsu that is distracting ! strange use dts neural x and it sounds almost like PLIIx without a centre crosstalking into rear back surround .

native 7.1 mixes are discrete do you understand ? do you understand what you have spent all that hard working money on ?

add some past processors with your system .
and get some led meters form ebay they are often cheap for 1U frame and need lot of them

Top Bottom