• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon X3700H vs x4700H

Denon X3700H or Denon X4700H

• Total voters

luft262

The Denon X3700H is about $1,500 and the Denon X4700H is about $2000. These AVRs represent the best of the budget I am willing to spend on my next AVR. As far as I can see the only differences are that the X4700H has DDSC, Clock Jitter Reducer, Alpha Processing, and 20 extra watts per channel (125 vs 105). Both have been well reviewed by Armin. I run a 5.1 setup. Are the differences going to make the 4700 worth the extra cash? Based on the results of Armins review I would say no, but maybe I'm not understanding the potential of the added processing etc. As a side note both have MultEQ XT32, which is why the X3700H is the cheapest Denon AVR I will consider and I want that functionality.

Thank you for your help!

Zedly

Forum Donor
The X4700H also has support for Auro3D and a front-facing HDMI port, if you care about either of those. The 20W of extra power is a miniscule difference. If you need more power, I would still get the X3700H and use the $500 differences toward an external amplifier.

OP
luft262

luft262

Front facing HDMI would be nice, but I could get male to female extension HDMI cable, plug the male part into the back and leave the female connector on top of the AVR.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Auro 3D is apparently an excellent upmixer - and may indeed be a desirable feature - how much that is worth to you, is a different matter!

Trell

Major Contributor
The 4700 looks a little nicer with the front metal lid covering controls and inputs. :)

OP
luft262

luft262

I ended up going with the Denon X3700H. I couldn't justify the extra $500 for basically just a front HDMI port. I like it a lot more than my Onkyo. Although, the Onkyo was very good for it's price! Here is a graph of my system after setup and EQ.

1644112941885.png

OP
luft262

luft262

Thanks for all of your help!

sliboo

A few other things I noted the 4700 has over the 3700:
- A larger display (2 lines instead of 1) with more information (which is available on TV for both otherwise).
- Hardware navigation buttons so you can use/configure the unit without the remote.
- A better remote that can serve as a universal remote for other devices
- A 3rd zone.

I'm happy with the 3700 but these are small usability improvements that I would have liked to have, so if one has the choice between the two units, might be worth knowing.

Trell

Major Contributor
A few other things I noted the 4700 has over the 3700:
- A larger display (2 lines instead of 1) with more information (which is available on TV for both otherwise).
- Hardware navigation buttons so you can use/configure the unit without the remote.
- A better remote that can serve as a universal remote for other devices
- A 3rd zone.

I'm happy with the 3700 but these are small usability improvements that I would have liked to have, so if one has the choice between the two units, might be worth knowing.

The 4700 have two trigger outputs instead of just one. Very handy for dual subs.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I used the single trigger output to my dsp and then the dsp also has a 12v output so one or two trigger outs made no difference to me
Yes. Plus one can always split the cable coming from the 12V trigger. Is what I did to switch on the power amps.

What would be nice though, that the 12V trigger goes low (switches off) as soon as you plug in the headphones. Most likely an easy firmware fix. Or at least make it configurable.

Dumdum

Yes. Plus one can always split the cable coming from the 12V trigger. Is what I did to switch on the power amps.

What would be nice though, that the 12V trigger goes low (switches off) as soon as you plug in the headphones. Most likely an easy firmware fix. Or at least make it configurable.
My point was more the limited current (160ma from memory) available for the turn on, multiple amps may or may not draw too much for the avr alone, but my dsp does 3x the current out so would potentially switch on way more items

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My point was more the limited current (160ma from memory) available for the turn on, multiple amps may or may not draw too much for the avr alone, but my dsp does 3x the current out so would potentially switch on way more items
Ah, now I understand, didn’t know you are actually powering your DSP with it.

My amps 12v trigger inputs are very impedance so practically no current flow and therefore one can trigger many in parallel.

NewbieAudiophileExpert

I echo what the other user has said about the $1500 Denon and $500 towards a nice stereo amp that can use the pre outs from the AVR as a source to drive the (large) front speakers.. 105ish + 80ish watts beats a '125 watt AVR'.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I echo what the other user has said about the $1500 Denon and $500 towards a nice stereo amp that can use the pre outs from the AVR as a source to drive the (large) front speakers.. 105ish + 80ish watts beats a '125 watt AVR'.
It’s not that clear cut. The question is always how much power you need. This depends on your personal loudness preferences, your speaker sensitivity and listening distance.

Using this

It can be easily demonstrated that about 100W is all what you might need (assuming 88dB/W, 8ft, worst case 4ohms, 100dB peak and 80dB average SPL). In this case the AVR built-in power amps are fully sufficient. One can plug in the values which are relevant for other scenarios.

NewbieAudiophileExpert

It’s not that clear cut. The question is always how much power you need. This depends on your personal loudness preferences, your speaker sensitivity and listening distance.

Using this

It can be easily demonstrated that about 100W is all what you might need (assuming 88dB/W, 8ft, worst case 4ohms, 100dB peak and 80dB average SPL). In this case the AVR built-in power amps are fully sufficient. One can plug in the values which are relevant for other scenarios.
Yeah that's what i mean, in an AVR the center channel is the one working most often, and it's rare at all 5/7/9 channels are going to operate at full capacity at the same time for an extended period anyway, so a true 105 watts of power may be completely sufficient to your needs.

clearnfc

I ended up going with the Denon X3700H. I couldn't justify the extra $500 for basically just a front HDMI port. I like it a lot more than my Onkyo. Although, the Onkyo was very good for it's price! Here is a graph of my system after setup and EQ.

View attachment 184515

Good choice!! IMHO, the difference between the 2 is way too small to justify the $500 difference.

Dumdum

Ah, now I understand, didn’t know you are actually powering your DSP with it.

My amps 12v trigger inputs are very impedance so practically no current flow and therefore one can trigger many in parallel.
No he’s got a separate power adaptor for the dsp, a remote trigger output won’t power a dsp entirely

DutchJay

Yeah that's what i mean, in an AVR the center channel is the one working most often, and it's rare at all 5/7/9 channels are going to operate at full capacity at the same time for an extended period anyway, so a true 105 watts of power may be completely sufficient to your needs.
Doesn't it also have to do with the power supply. I have a 110 Watts 2 channel driven avr pared with a parasound 5 channel 85 Watts rsm. The parasound has a very big todorial power unit and is able to FAR better drive my speakers (ma 300 g7 c250 center and some stalites surrounds) it is more dynamic, larger sound stage with far better details and more punch. The parasound really gets the most out of my speakers

NewbieAudiophileExpert

Doesn't it also have to do with the power supply. I have a 110 Watts 2 channel driven avr pared with a parasound 5 channel 85 Watts rsm. The parasound has a very big todorial power unit and is able to FAR better drive my speakers (ma 300 g7 c250 center and some stalites surrounds) it is more dynamic, larger sound stage with far better details and more punch. The parasound really gets the most out of my speakers
Yeah i have a similar set up, and i much prefer listening to music on the integrated amp - I don't think that this is due to power, but the amplifiers design.

A good entry level two channel amp costs as much as a entry level AVR - wonder why?

Top Bottom