• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon X3700H vs x4700H

Denon X3700H or Denon X4700H

• Total voters

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Yeah i have a similar set up, and i much prefer listening to music on the integrated amp - I don't think that this is due to power, but the amplifiers design.

A good entry level two channel amp costs as much as a entry level AVR - wonder why?
Potentially 30% to 50% could be that it never reaches the numbers required for efficiencies of Mass Production...

The AVR's sell at least 10x as many (if not 100x) - making for massive economies of scale.

Your question should be, why are AVR's so economical.... - in todays market, that is where the bargains are.

With regards to sound quality... all indications are that the measurable aspects of an AVR are excellent - with any flaws/levels of distortion, well beyond the thresholds of audibility.

I suspect that the difference may or may not be there in double blind testing.... (option 1) or, are likely down to power... but not in terms of "Watts" max.. but the fact that you have a power supply reserved for 2 channels - you may well have the same current available for your 2 channels, as a typical AVR has available for 7, 9 or 11...

This means the amp can easily handle the crossover, with those dips in impedance - it has a better power supply, rather than "more power".

Pretty much every AVR on the market puts out substantially more power when run in stereo... rather than multichannel - indicating that the power supply is undersized for the number of channels (which can have impacts beyond just the output power, as shown by degradation of the pre-outs on the Denon AVR's when the Internal amps are in use....).

Many of us therefore use external power amps to drive the Front speakers - at least L/ R if not L / C / R.... although we may opt to put the relatively light load of the surround/height speakers (ambiance) through the AVR.

An AVR like the X3700 provides truly incredible value for money - even if you simply use it as a Stereo Integrated.

Last edited:
Top Bottom