• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon X3700H or Marantz SR6015?

hipis_1

Do we know when DENON X3700H and Marantz SR6015 2021 successors will be available?

SynthesisCinema

Do we know when DENON X3700H and Marantz SR6015 2021 successors will be available?

2022 summer! No new models this year at least from 3000 range upwards. No reason to rush, hope D&M come with stable 2.1 and more inputs next year.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have heard the difference in sound between Marantz and Denon . Marantz sounded bit deep for mnusic as well as movies. Denon sounded flat to me .

But measurements state otherwise from Amir reviews. Should i take measurement into consideration at all ?

I compared , Denon X3600H , Denon 4700H , Marantz Sr6014, Marantz Sr7013

Any thoughts?

Arcam AVR390 sounded above all . I am confused now

A lot of people only trust what they heard, or what they thought they heard, so they would go by their hears/brains. Others believe unless the listening is done in level matched DBT format, the results will not be reliable, but it is practically impossible for the average consumer to compare two devices such as the Denon and Marantz AVR in DBT, so they would tend to go with the measurements that don't lie, are objective, repeatable and reliable if done properly such as ASR's.

So it is up to you. For me I would always go with measurements and would choose the one that measured the flattest in FR, the lowest in THD+N, IMD and the highest in SNR and DR. Then if I want to hear more emphasized bass, or treble (that I don't), I would just EQ it to my taste.

sngreen

Hey Guys!
First of all. I really love this forum content. So, I am looking for a new AVR to replace my old's NR1506 that I bought 4 years ago.
I am interested in the new 8k Denon/Marantz lineup but I would like to hear from you guys. What's your recommendation?
Denon X3700H or Marantz SR6015 ?

Basically, my daily use is 60% music (stereo mode), 20% games, and 20% movies.
From what I read it would probably be Denon. We always had Marantz receivers in our house; first 7007 and then 8xxx series. After about 5 years 7007 died and the other was struck by lightning (through HDMI) this summer. So as the replacement I wanted something not terribly expensive as we only use it for either movies or the morning news radio. Between Marantz and Denon (it is the same company) my wife wanted Marantz. I could not care less, and we picked Marantz sr6015.

I did not realize but from sr6015 on here in Europe there are no Marantz receivers with radio tuner, only with HEOS and internet radio. Boy, do I hate it! Although it sounds quite fine when it works, but it needs to be restarted several times to start playing. If the previous night it was used for TV and in the morning switched to HEOS there will be no sound (although that tiny window will show what is playing, of course). The unit needs to be turned off with selected HEOS channel, and then turned on again. Then it works. Same goes for about every function they put in there, if it is not started the last there will be no sound. It's like it does not pick up change through HDMI, only if it is pre-selected at the start time.

Another thing is the remote. I have several remotes from the previous Marantz models, and they all appear to be more responsive - just snappier than the current sr6015 version. Pressing the buttons feels like something from the 90's, spongy and not very responsive. I do like the large buttons on one hand, but then again, quite many of those buttons have neither inputs nor functions associated with them. Totally useless.

As for the sound, the radio (internet radio) does have a nice tone to it; well rounded, full and quick. As a main system for music however, it is a jack of all trades, neither here nor there. It even has a turntable hookup, I never tried it, but for life of me I could not even imagine why it would be there.

I have not listened to Denon, never had one, but from what have in house now, it would not be Marantz. It is a poorly thought through device.

Taddpole

From what I read it would probably be Denon. We always had Marantz receivers in our house; first 7007 and then 8xxx series. After about 5 years 7007 died and the other was struck by lightning (through HDMI) this summer. So as the replacement I wanted something not terribly expensive as we only use it for either movies or the morning news radio. Between Marantz and Denon (it is the same company) my wife wanted Marantz. I could not care less, and we picked Marantz sr6015.

I did not realize but from sr6015 on here in Europe there are no Marantz receivers with radio tuner, only with HEOS and internet radio. Boy, do I hate it! Although it sounds quite fine when it works, but it needs to be restarted several times to start playing. If the previous night it was used for TV and in the morning switched to HEOS there will be no sound (although that tiny window will show what is playing, of course). The unit needs to be turned off with selected HEOS channel, and then turned on again. Then it works. Same goes for about every function they put in there, if it is not started the last there will be no sound. It's like it does not pick up change through HDMI, only if it is pre-selected at the start time.

Another thing is the remote. I have several remotes from the previous Marantz models, and they all appear to be more responsive - just snappier than the current sr6015 version. Pressing the buttons feels like something from the 90's, spongy and not very responsive. I do like the large buttons on one hand, but then again, quite many of those buttons have neither inputs nor functions associated with them. Totally useless.

As for the sound, the radio (internet radio) does have a nice tone to it; well rounded, full and quick. As a main system for music however, it is a jack of all trades, neither here nor there. It even has a turntable hookup, I never tried it, but for life of me I could not even imagine why it would be there.

I have not listened to Denon, never had one, but from what have in house now, it would not be Marantz. It is a poorly thought through device.

Suspect they've made their choice in the fifteen months since asking.

Can't work out why you didn't return it. Seems semi functional at best.

Though suspect many of the issues you have would be same in the Denon as they have far more in common than different.

sngreen

Suspect they've made their choice in the fifteen months since asking.

Can't work out why you didn't return it. Seems semi functional at best.

Though suspect many of the issues you have would be same in the Denon as they have far more in common than different.
Why I have not returned it yet? Good question. I bought it about 2 weeks ago and already had it packed on the third day, but then the store rep replied to my email that DAB is the new trend and radio is the old thing. They would give me something else if I brought it back in store, but then what? So I unpacked it again, to give it another try.

The thing is I did not mean to be buying Marantz in the first place. I came into the store to buy Yamaha RX-V6A, which has good reviews and is significantly less expensive then either Marantz or Denon. Good enough for me. But then with the current supply and demand situation in Europe, and probably in the rest of the world as well, there is not a single Yamaha in any of the stores in Vienna. The salesman said "Marantz", my wife heard it, and I said - "Why not". So we got Marantz again.

And yes, you are absolutely correct, Denon more likely than not would have yet another set of problems, as they often do. But now I have this Marantz, and I am happy when it works. Although I do often have to get worked up first, and before I get anything out of it. So it is.

sngreen

Why I have not returned it yet? Good question. I bought it about 2 weeks ago and already had it packed on the third day, but then the store rep replied to my email that DAB is the new trend and radio is the old thing. They would give me something else if I brought it back in store, but then what? So I unpacked it again, to give it another try.

The thing is I did not mean to be buying Marantz in the first place. I came into the store to buy Yamaha RX-V6A, which has good reviews and is significantly less expensive then either Marantz or Denon. Good enough for me. But then with the current supply and demand situation in Europe, and probably in the rest of the world as well, there is not a single Yamaha in any of the stores in Vienna. The salesman said "Marantz", my wife heard it, and I said - "Why not". So we got Marantz again.

And yes, you are absolutely correct, Denon more likely than not would have yet another set of problems, as they often do. But now I have this Marantz, and I am happy when it works. Although I do often have to get worked up first, and before I get anything out of it. So it is.

I discovered that I could not make sub-woofers work in any other mode than when watching TV. From media-palyer (ubuntu Kodi) HDMI to Marantz HDMI to display. Display is only for video, sound to the speakers. And so I finally returned Marantz and got me Denon AVC-X4700H instead. It turned out to be a better unit by a mile, from build to handling to sound. And so Denon stays.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The thing is I did not mean to be buying Marantz in the first place. I came into the store to buy Yamaha RX-V6A, which has good reviews and is significantly less expensive then either Marantz or Denon.

Did you mean subjective reviews? Audioholics.com measured the RX-A6A, full report not out yet, based on what's shown measured in the video, it's not as good as Denon's, not even close.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...a8a-japanese-website.23564/page-8#post-939475

I think the 4700 is a great choice given what's available at the moment.

Top Bottom