• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon X3600H powers on/off all by itself?

sparkyuk

I have an X3600H connected to a Sony AG8 TV, Virgin Media Tivo box and an Odroid N2 CoreElec media player and it occasionally turns itself on, stays on for 30s or so and then goes back to standby. I notice it when I hear the amp relays clicking but the TV does not power up. My first thought was that it may be related to software update checks but that seems a bit strange. The media player has caused some odd CEC problems in the past but it is in suspend mode when the others are off - at least it appears to be.

There are no issues during use, random power offs for example, and it's not really a problem but I wondered if anyone had seem anything similar?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have an X3600H connected to a Sony AG8 TV, Virgin Media Tivo box and an Odroid N2 CoreElec media player and it occasionally turns itself on, stays on for 30s or so and then goes back to standby. I notice it when I hear the amp relays clicking but the TV does not power up. My first thought was that it may be related to software update checks but that seems a bit strange. The media player has caused some odd CEC problems in the past but it is in suspend mode when the others are off - at least it appears to be.

There are no issues during use, random power offs for example, and it's not really a problem but I wondered if anyone had seem anything similar?

From what I can tell, this kind of behavior is not unique to Denon's also reported by users of other brands. I am quite sure it is related the the HDMI control functions. In my experience, turning off HDMI control (CEI) and even ARC tend to reduced the frequency of such occurrences.

SKBubba

Another (less likely) possibility is protection mode being triggered by a speaker wire short, AC power problem or something.

OP
S

sparkyuk

From what I can tell, this kind of behavior is not unique to Denon's also reported by users of other brands. I am quite sure it is related the the HDMI control functions. In my experience, turning off HDMI control (CEI) and even ARC tend to reduced the frequency of such occurrences.

I've had a dig around in the logs on the media player, it's a lightweight Linux OS, and there are some suspend related entries in the dmesg output at times when the device is not in use and should be suspended so it looks like it is related to CEC in some way. I'll try disabling it and see if that makes a difference.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had a dig around in the logs on the media player, it's a lightweight Linux OS, and there are some suspend related entries in the dmesg output at times when the device is not in use and should be suspended so it looks like it is related to CEC in some way. I'll try disabling it and see if that makes a difference.

If I remember right, there were claim (at least one lol..) that it could also happen if someone nearby uses browsers to control their unit and the signal may be strong enough, depending on the ip related things it might do such thing to you too. I doubt that was the case in my setup because I am quite sure my neighbor don't have the gear and even if one of them did, the chance for them to do it in the middle of the night would be near zero. After disabling CEC/ARC mine would only turn on by itself once a month or so..

OP
S

sparkyuk

A belated follow up on this - the problem remains regardless of CEC settings on the media player so I disconnected both the HDMI and power from it so it couldn't be part of the problem. The power on and off still happens so it's either the AVR itself or the TV/Tivo/bluray player although they all remain in standby.

Most odd :)

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A belated follow up on this - the problem remains regardless of CEC settings on the media player so I disconnected both the HDMI and power from it so it couldn't be part of the problem. The power on and off still happens so it's either the AVR itself or the TV/Tivo/bluray player although they all remain in standby.

Most odd :)

I am convinced it is as I mentioned before, that it could be: 'if someone nearby uses browsers to control their unit and the signal may be strong enough, depending on the ip related things it might do such thing to you too. '

If I am not too lazy, I could try to prove it by disconnected wifi and hardwire Ethernet connections to the AVR when I am not using it but that's too much work. I would do if it happens everyday but in my case, after I had CEC stuff and eARC disabled, it only happens about 2 to 3 times a month so that's too much work to disconnect/reconnect wifi/Ethernet everyday.:confused:

OP
S

sparkyuk

Interesting thought although my unit is not configured for wireless and I can't see how an outside device could be connecting to the wired network. However, I did have a look at the settings and there's an option to control whether the network functionality is available when the unit is in standby which defaults to allowed. I've changed this to off and will see whether that makes any difference. The HEOS app on my phone now can't connect to the unit when it's in standby so the setting has changed.

Masza

I am convinced it is as I mentioned before, that it could be: 'if someone nearby uses browsers to control their unit and the signal may be strong enough, depending on the ip related things it might do such thing to you too. '

Not possible if your and your neighbor's receivers aren't connected to the same local network (i.e. wired LAN or Wi-Fi) which I doubt.

On the other hand IR needs a line of sight.

Control via Bluetooth if another person has connected to a wrong device could be a reason but if I recall these devices don't have control via Bluetooth.

My AVR-X3300W also turned on by itself from time to time. Never figured out the reason as I switched to completely different kind of setup. I think though that HDMI CEC was the reason there because my Sony TV behaved badly (e.g. caused my computer to recognize/unrecognize it during it was in standby).

EDIT: Check if you have some sort of "auto update" on. I think that could trigger the receiver to turn on by itself. And if some error occurs during that update check it might be possible that it won't turn off again by itself.

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My X4500H has done this a few times when sitting idle for a while. Has not done it with content playing. No display is connected and CEC is off. I also thought it was related to an auto update process but I'm not sure.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Interesting thought although my unit is not configured for wireless and I can't see how an outside device could be connecting to the wired network. However, I did have a look at the settings and there's an option to control whether the network functionality is available when the unit is in standby which defaults to allowed. I've changed this to off and will see whether that makes any difference. The HEOS app on my phone now can't connect to the unit when it's in standby so the setting has changed.

Could just pull the Ethernet cable (at either end) and disable all network stuff... I am not a network guy, but at work some of our smart devices do "ping" the network now and then, maybe to keep their network address or let the network know they are still alive? At home, my desktop will come out of sleep mode to do backups and synch with the NAS at various times.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not possible if your and your neighbor's receivers aren't connected to the same local network (i.e. wired LAN or Wi-Fi) which I doubt.

On the other hand IR needs a line of sight.

Control via Bluetooth if another person has connected to a wrong device could be a reason but if I recall these devices don't have control via Bluetooth.

My AVR-X3300W also turned on by itself from time to time. Never figured out the reason as I switched to completely different kind of setup. I think though that HDMI CEC was the reason there because my Sony TV behaved badly (e.g. caused my computer to recognize/unrecognize it during it was in standby).

EDIT: Check if you have some sort of "auto update" on. I think that could trigger the receiver to turn on by itself. And if some error occurs during that update check it might be possible that it won't turn off again by itself.

Agreed, when I first read about that suggested possibility (from AVSF iirc) I though it would be possible too for reasons you sighted. But I really can't think of anything else so I am reverting back to that claim as a highly remote possibility and I do agree it really wouldn't be from neighbors, may be some of my own devices, and I have tons connected to the network. Something is causing it and its not just Denon, I remember reading similar things happened to users of other brands too, not sure if it was Yamaha or Onkyo.. Once those things I mentioned were disabled, it rarely happens now so it is more of wanting to know why, not that it is a real issue.

I doubt auto update is the issue because if it is, I would know that already, naturally.

amper42

Major Contributor
Place the Denon 3600 on a surge protector and leave the strip turned off when not using the receiver. Problem solved and you'll reduce phantom energy use as well. I disconnect power to all my gear when not in use.

gene_stl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I was very lucy to pick up a SchMarantz pre processor. The guy that sold it to me was frustrated with it because he was unable to get it repaired using his usual suspects.

The complaint was ; turn the unit on and it runs for a random amount of time and then it turns itself off. Everything else was working perfectly so I bet a small amount of money that it was a bad connection. Reviewing the circuit diagram revealed a ribbon cable from the main control board to a standby switch mode power supply that monitored the IR remote, wake on LAN , HDMI etc.

I unplugged this ribbon cable and plugged it back in. Subsequently have not been able to elicit misbehaviour.
Sometimes even a blind squirrel finds an acorn.

OP
S

sparkyuk

Disabling the network when in standby has not stopped it either. I don't fancy opening it up to check cables, at least not at the moment, so it will have to remain a mystery.

Benedium

Forum Donor
It's happened to my unit before. And usually after it happens, there is a red light at the power indicator. Cables and everything are in order, so seemingly no explanation.

But it hasn't happened in awhile now, so not an issue for me anymore. Could be because I have since moved my subwoofer about 4 ft away (previously 1.5ft) and placed some isolation pads under the avr feet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom