• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon S760H

aarons915

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I just picked up this receiver to replace my 3500H, yes it's technically a "downgrade" but I don't use the Pre Outs or Audyssey so the HDMI 2.1 was the main reason I switched it out. Not too surprising they sound identical with the same functionality, the big difference is MultEQ is much worse than XT32 when checking the in-room measurements. I use Equalizer APO on PC and just run the Denon in direct mode so that doesn't matter to me though. I thought the power loss might be noticeable but it really isn't, using identical channel trims, my measured SPL is about identical and my volume is around the same level when listening to music. I'd say this is a decent cheap receiver for people looking for something simple that is able to pass through the required HDMI 2.1 signals. Being only $450 at Costco, this would be a good budget AVR for @amirm to review, maybe someone local can get him one?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought the power loss might be noticeable but it really isn't, using identical channel trims, my measured SPL is about identical and my volume is around the same level when listening to music.

It is a good value for sure. On the power loss (or gain), or not point, please keep in mind you cannot tell by the measured SPL at a certain volume position for normal use. That is because the gain of the power amp is the same across the D+M AVRs. So whether it is the lowest model or the flag ship model, or even with a 1,000 W external power amp, as long as they have the same gain you will get the same SPL at the same volume.

OP
A

aarons915

Forum Donor
It is a good value for sure. On the power loss (or gain), or not point, please keep in mind you cannot tell by the measured SPL at a certain volume position for normal use. That is because the gain of the power amp is the same across the D+M AVRs. So whether it is the lowest model or the flag ship model, or even with a 1,000 W external power amp, as long as they have the same gain you will get the same SPL at the same volume.

Yeah I didn't think about that since they are both calibrated to the same target. Hopefully someone sends it in for review but it seems decent for the price.

I picked up Denon S760H at Costco for under $500 and I’m very impressed with this budget AVR. Very easy to use Audyssey EQ setup (mic is included), I paid $20 for their app to play with EQ as much as I like. I’m no longer looking at MiniDSP ;-). It allowed me to setup my 4 speakers and subwoofer to play 5.1 movies. No need for central speaker. Still exploring functions but very happy so far.

OP
A

aarons915

Forum Donor
How about using the audyssey app? If you use it, would the xt 32 obsolete?

I always use the app but XT32 just has a lot more resolution to shape the room curve, MultEQ is very limited and won't make drastic changes.

Alexium

Is XT32 clearly better in low frequency only, or across the whole audible range?

I have X2500H with Audyssey XT and did not have a chance to compare it to XT32, but the humble X2500H did a very good job equalizing the shouty midrange of my speakers (and it was not a small irregularity, it's a huge and very obvious one).

tw 2022

I just picked up this receiver to replace my 3500H, yes it's technically a "downgrade" but I don't use the Pre Outs or Audyssey so the HDMI 2.1 was the main reason I switched it out. Not too surprising they sound identical with the same functionality, the big difference is MultEQ is much worse than XT32 when checking the in-room measurements. I use Equalizer APO on PC and just run the Denon in direct mode so that doesn't matter to me though. I thought the power loss might be noticeable but it really isn't, using identical channel trims, my measured SPL is about identical and my volume is around the same level when listening to music. I'd say this is a decent cheap receiver for people looking for something simple that is able to pass through the required HDMI 2.1 signals. Being only $450 at Costco, this would be a good budget AVR for @amirm to review, maybe someone local can get him one?
how is this receiver working out ?

OP
A

aarons915

Forum Donor
Is XT32 clearly better in low frequency only, or across the whole audible range?

I have X2500H with Audyssey XT and did not have a chance to compare it to XT32, but the humble X2500H did a very good job equalizing the shouty midrange of my speakers (and it was not a small irregularity, it's a huge and very obvious one).
Here is the chart that shows the resolution of each channel, there are quite a bit more filters in XT32 for both satellites and subwoofer but if XT was sufficient to get rid of your peak it may not be worth it.

1595161953255.png

how is this receiver working out ?

It's still great to me, all I need it to do is turn on, be in direct mode and pass a 4k/60Hz signal though so my demands aren't very high.

tw 2022

Here is the chart that shows the resolution of each channel, there are quite a bit more filters in XT32 for both satellites and subwoofer but if XT was sufficient to get rid of your peak it may not be worth it.

View attachment 238166

It's still great to me, all I need it to do is turn on, be in direct mode and pass a 4k/60Hz signal though so my demands aren't very high.
I just grabbed one on a close out they ( costco) are having ( $250)... Haven't really had time to make much of a judgement , but so far very decent at the close out price, thanks for the feedback, it makes me a little less anxious about issues...

bsztorch

I picked up Denon S760H at Costco for under $500 and I’m very impressed with this budget AVR. Very easy to use Audyssey EQ setup (mic is included), I paid $20 for their app to play with EQ as much as I like. I’m no longer looking at MiniDSP ;-). It allowed me to setup my 4 speakers and subwoofer to play 5.1 movies. No need for central speaker. Still exploring functions but very happy so far.
I just installed the same Denon and almost everyday I get a LOUD crackle that won't stop until I turn channel on TV. I checked to ensure the power cords are not touching. Any suggestions?

tw 2022

I just installed the same Denon and almost everyday I get a LOUD crackle that won't stop until I turn channel on TV. I checked to ensure the power cords are not touching. Any suggestions?
try changing hdmi cord if you have an extra... it may be the source(cable box ,streaming box) as well .. sometimes source/ avr have issues...

Music1969

Major Contributor
Hi @peng

I just got this AVR.

When I run it in Direct mode I can still adjust channel levels.

This AVR sadly :( does not have Pure Direct mode but on the specs it says frequency response is up to 100kHz (-3dB) when in Direct mode - so it has the same bandwidth as Pure Direct Denon AVRs.

But why is channel level and sub level able to be adjusted? This would have to be done in digital domain?

See 2 screenshots below from the manual:

1689940105400.png

1689939406626.png

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
Hi again @peng

With my 4520 and friends 4700H, when you hit the mute button, you hear a loud click

I assume this is the relay for proper muting?

But with with my S760H when I mute, there is no click

My question, related to above post, is do you think 760's volume control is all analogue via IC?

Or it is digital volume control?

Thanks !

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi again @peng

With my 4520 and friends 4700H, when you hit the mute button, you hear a loud click

I assume this is the relay for proper muting?

But with with my S760H when I mute, there is no click

My question, related to above post, is do you think 760's volume control is all analogue via IC?

Or it is digital volume control?

Thanks !
The 4520 and 4700 both use electronic volume control chips, but just because they use those chips, does not mean they are used for the mute function that you are referring to.
The loud click does indicate they use electromagnetic relays for that function. If the S760H's is silent, then it likely use static types, such as an electronic switch that has no moving parts. Without seeing the service manuals, we can't be 100% sure. I assume you are not really concerned, but just want to know.

Music1969

Major Contributor
I assume you are not really concerned, but just want to know.
Yes not concerned because the muting is actually working.

As for the S760H volume control (digital vs analogue) I supposed you'd need to see the service manual to confirm that too ?

It strangely doesn't have a 'Pure Direct' mode but does have 'Direct'.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes not concerned because the muting is actually working.

As for the S760H volume control (digital vs analogue) I supposed you'd need to see the service manual to confirm that too ?

It strangely doesn't have a 'Pure Direct' mode but does have 'Direct'.
Yes, I will try to find one for the older model such as the s730h just to get some idea. There won't be one for the s760h that is too new.

Top Bottom