• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon S760H

aarons915

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I just picked up this receiver to replace my 3500H, yes it's technically a "downgrade" but I don't use the Pre Outs or Audyssey so the HDMI 2.1 was the main reason I switched it out. Not too surprising they sound identical with the same functionality, the big difference is MultEQ is much worse than XT32 when checking the in-room measurements. I use Equalizer APO on PC and just run the Denon in direct mode so that doesn't matter to me though. I thought the power loss might be noticeable but it really isn't, using identical channel trims, my measured SPL is about identical and my volume is around the same level when listening to music. I'd say this is a decent cheap receiver for people looking for something simple that is able to pass through the required HDMI 2.1 signals. Being only $450 at Costco, this would be a good budget AVR for @amirm to review, maybe someone local can get him one?

The low end denons always looked like the best receiver range for budget buys. I wanna get one next year sometime.

peng

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought the power loss might be noticeable but it really isn't, using identical channel trims, my measured SPL is about identical and my volume is around the same level when listening to music.

It is a good value for sure. On the power loss (or gain), or not point, please keep in mind you cannot tell by the measured SPL at a certain volume position for normal use. That is because the gain of the power amp is the same across the D+M AVRs. So whether it is the lowest model or the flag ship model, or even with a 1,000 W external power amp, as long as they have the same gain you will get the same SPL at the same volume.

OP
A

aarons915

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It is a good value for sure. On the power loss (or gain), or not point, please keep in mind you cannot tell by the measured SPL at a certain volume position for normal use. That is because the gain of the power amp is the same across the D+M AVRs. So whether it is the lowest model or the flag ship model, or even with a 1,000 W external power amp, as long as they have the same gain you will get the same SPL at the same volume.

Yeah I didn't think about that since they are both calibrated to the same target. Hopefully someone sends it in for review but it seems decent for the price.

Top Bottom