• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon products simple OSD question

PolkFan

Forum Donor
All i would like to know is a modern Denon do you have to use the OSD if you are just planning on using the optical input and have it connected to a PC? My current Pioneer lets me do everything from the display on the receiver including the useless MCACC setup

I would still like to set up the EQ and such and i heard they even have a APP which i'm fine with using the model i plan on buying is a s650h

OP
PolkFan

PolkFan

Forum Donor
Been reading online and it seems like you need a TV to set it up and use the EQ i'm not sure why as other brands used to not force that i might go with a Yamaha to overcome that.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Kinda, sorta, mostly? I have a fairly recent Marantz, and don't know that I've run into any situation which absolutely positively requires TV hookup (I didn't attempt speaker configuration or Audessy room tuning in this manner) though it certainly helps when you're not familiar with navigating through the menus, as the front panel display is kind of terse. But recently, I was amused to discover that I could search TuneIn radio stations using only the remote and front panel display.

Safe bet: Hook up TV, computer monitor or any HDMI-equipped display to get you through initial setup and orientation. Even an inexpensive 7" HDMI monitor ought to work fine.

amper42

Major Contributor
All i would like to know is a modern Denon do you have to use the OSD if you are just planning on using the optical input and have it connected to a PC? My current Pioneer lets me do everything from the display on the receiver including the useless MCACC setup

I would still like to set up the EQ and such and i heard they even have a APP which i'm fine with using the model i plan on buying is a s650h

Setting up EQ with Denon works great with the Audyssey app. No monitor needed. In addition, I have connected a computer VGA monitor to the Denon using a simple VGA to HDMI adapter. While it's nice to have the TV connected, it's possible to use a computer monitor with HDMI or a VGA monitor with a VGA to HDMI adapter.

OP
PolkFan

PolkFan

Forum Donor
Setting up EQ with Denon works great with the Audyssey app. No monitor needed. In addition, I have connected a computer VGA monitor to the Denon using a simple VGA to HDMI adapter. While it's nice to have the TV connected, it's possible to use a computer monitor with HDMI or a VGA monitor with a VGA to HDMI adapter.
I would really hope so as i'm limited on funds at the moment and would LOVE to grab that unit

If you are 100% sure you do not need a display i will probably grab it. I mean i have a choice of a weaker unit without Audyssey and buying a cheapo monitor or getting the receiver i kind of want

amper42

Major Contributor
While the TV interface is cleaner with the Denon receiver it's easy to use a computer monitor instead.

I have two Denon 4700 receivers.
1. in my Home Theatre with a 55" Samsung TV display.
2. My 2nd Denon 4700 is in my office. I don't have a TV in that room. I have a computer monitor in the office with multiple inputs but the only one available was VGA. So I ordered an $18 Monoprice HDMI to VGA Kit. It allowed the VGA computer monitor to be converted to HDMI. I plugged it into the Denon receiver and I could see all the menu's. It works just fine.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=11566

OP
PolkFan

PolkFan

Forum Donor
I got the denon ordered and will be here in a few days i figured if i can figure out calculus i can figure out how to use this without a monitor
I do miss the old days with ODD's lol

OP
PolkFan

PolkFan

Forum Donor
While the TV interface is cleaner with the Denon receiver it's easy to use a computer monitor instead.

I have two Denon 4700 receivers.
1. in my Home Theatre with a 55" Samsung TV display.
2. My 2nd Denon 4700 is in my office. I don't have a TV in that room. I have a computer monitor in the office with multiple inputs but the only one available was VGA. So I ordered an $18 Monoprice HDMI to VGA Kit. It allowed the VGA computer monitor to be converted to HDMI. I plugged it into the Denon receiver and I could see all the menu's. It works just fine.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=11566

I wanted to again say thank you for your help cause of you i bought the denon and i LOVE IT

You saved me man!

amper42

Major Contributor
I wanted to again say thank you for your help cause of you i bought the denon and i LOVE IT

You saved me man!

You are welcome. Glad I could help. I'm listening to my Denon 4700 right now. :D

Top Bottom