• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon PMA-600NE Source Direct button on Remote Control

sniegs

Hi,

I have Denon PMA-600NE and Marantz PM6007 amplifiers. Both are similar in design and so are the remote controls, but the Source Direct button (Pure Direct) does not work on the Denon remote, while it does work on the Marantz remote.

Denon PMA-600NE owners please feedback, can you confirm the above problem or do I have a manufacturing defect or I don't fully understand something?

OP
sniegs

sniegs

I got the answer (by asking a Reddit user via live chat, who checked and confirmed) that indeed, this button does not work on the PureDirect Denon PMA-600NE models (as if it works on the Denon AVR model or others). In addition, I found that the first 5 steps in the volume control are empty, after step 6, volume level 6 immediately. The more you get to know, the more surprises.

Schlippwhip68

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The pure direct button is for the CD player. The remote is multifunctional for all the 600 series components. I have a Denon DNP-730AE (10 year old network player) that can also be controlled perfectly with my remote from my brand new 600ne amplifier. It's one of the many things i like about Denons remote system, it can control back dated units as well as the latest models. How do you like the amp? I replaced my older PMA730AE with the PMA600NE and like it alot. I have a few class d amps too but the 600NE is my go to. Some say that it lacks detail but personally I find that can depend on source and speaker 90% of the time. I have compared this with very detailed amps including amps from SMSL, Marantz, Aiyima and Sabaj and found the Denon to be overall the more usable and listenable amplifier. I have my DNP730AE running through the 600NE and it sounds very detailed indeed, clear and focused, absolutely nothing to complain about personally. I also run my Mac mini via a Topping E50 dac through the 600NE and that sounds full, rich, detailed and accurate too. I recently replaced my Tannoy Eclipse 3 floorstanding speakers which were getting on in years with a new pair of Monitor Audio Bronze 200 floorstanders and they are an excellent match for the Denon PMA600NE. The speakers needed a little burn in time to settle down in the treble which took around 20 hours of use but sure enough, they did and lost that little bit of sibilant brightness (fizz) that comes with new speakers. They sound excellent, very well balanced and compliment the 600NE perfectly. I compared my Marantz 6006 UK Edition amplifier and it was no where near the Denon pma600ne or the earlier model the 720AE in my opinion. The Marantz just sounded too light, no weight or real presence when compared which admittedly I was a little surprised and even disappointed with the result especially considering the hype surrounding that model from Marantz. My thoughts were that Marantz is actually Denons day off, the easy Sunday but that is all. I felt the same about the SMSL A300 too, very good "detail" but shabby, unorganised bass which really sounded like a lost child at the local Fete. Also a good speaker cable for the Denon PMA600NE is the QED XT25 which I have been using for a couple of years now, carries the detail very well with plenty of space. So in regards to the "detail" debate with the Denon PMA range I think alot of opinions over rate the comparative choices when judging these newer amps from Denon especially the offerings from here in the UK. I know quite a few people who regret selling their Denon amps for the sake of more "detail". The 600NE is also very flexible in pairing with speakers unlike the more "detailed" choices on offer under £1000. I have read people whom have sold on there 600NE and replaced it with the Rotel A11 Tribute and had an initial impression of 'wow!' then after a month or two began to regret their decisions as everytime they listened to the music it simply commanded to much attention and caused further fatigue after a hard days work and that is true of "detailed" amps, they can be a little overly judgmental to some souls or even analytical where people don't want their music to sound like it's being audited every time they listen to it. In my opinion that kind of listening is ok now and then for short periods of time but no one really wants to constantly be examined. Even a little legalistic in their approach to music which can reflect even the times here in the UK. The Denon has a more embracing approach like the warm forgiving cuddle of a lovable uncle and can be very easy to spend a lot of time with and if you serve that Uncle up with a good plate he will be energized and give you back more than you might expect.

Last edited:
OP
sniegs

sniegs

The Denon has a nice sound. It's so 3-dimensional that some people might get a migraine after a short listen. But this 3D removes the detail in the sound. At least at this price level.
The Denon had problems with sound control at low volume levels, as the first volume steps are emtpty and then immediately start loud.
For now I have Marantz PM8006 and I would say that it is true Hi-Fi. It doesn't sound better than the 6xx series from Denon and Marantz, it just sounds different. Yes, it doesn't have a heavy weight in the sound, but I don't miss it with 2 subs in stereo mode. PM8006 is also not a perfect volume control, but I'm getting used to it because I don't see an alternative in the price category up to 1k.

Schlippwhip68

The Denon has a nice sound. It's so 3-dimensional that some people might get a migraine after a short listen. But this 3D removes the detail in the sound. At least at this price level.
The Denon had problems with sound control at low volume levels, as the first volume steps are emtpty and then immediately start loud.
For now I have Marantz PM8006 and I would say that it is true Hi-Fi. It doesn't sound better than the 6xx series from Denon and Marantz, it just sounds different. Yes, it doesn't have a heavy weight in the sound, but I don't miss it with 2 subs in stereo mode. PM8006 is also not a perfect volume control, but I'm getting used to it because I don't see an alternative in the price category up to 1k.
Yes, there is a small blank space about 1cm on the volume dial and it gets loud around 9 to 10 oclock on mine too which took a little getting used to at first especially after using the AXA35 from Cambridge Audio which has one of the best volume controls on an entry level amp I have seen to date, very gradual from the start and very well balanced from start, excellent at low volume. I have never had even a headache from any Denon amp but have felt a little exhausted from so called more "detailed" options over the years and over a pretty short period of listening time. I agree with you Denon and Marantz are pretty hard to beat upto 1k and even over 1k just look at Denons new 110 amp, that thing is reputed to really sound sublime but in a more realistic spend at least as far as my poor pocket is concerned I am considering a new amp in around a year and so far there are only two options in the running so far, the Denon PMA900HNE and the new Mission 778x which is still very young and so I am waiting for more reviews on the this one. The 800ne isn't an option for me as i run a sub too which is a shame as the 800ne is apparently has a slightly better sound signature but marginal difference.

OP
sniegs

sniegs

Yes, there is a small blank space about 1cm on the volume dial and it gets loud around 9 to 10 oclock on mine too which took a little getting used to at first especially after using the AXA35 from Cambridge Audio which has one of the best volume controls on an entry level amp I have seen to date, very gradual from the start and very well balanced from start, excellent at low volume. I have never had even a headache from any Denon amp but have felt a little exhausted from so called more "detailed" options over the years and over a pretty short period of listening time. I agree with you Denon and Marantz are pretty hard to beat upto 1k and even over 1k just look at Denons new 110 amp, that thing is reputed to really sound sublime but in a more realistic spend at least as far as my poor pocket is concerned I am considering a new amp in around a year and so far there are only two options in the running so far, the Denon PMA900HNE and the new Mission 778x which is still very young and so I am waiting for more reviews on the this one. The 800ne isn't an option for me as i run a sub too which is a shame as the 800ne is apparently has a slightly better sound signature but marginal difference.
Marantz, although the volume control is empty at the beginning, for example from 1-5, at level 6 it becomes 2 level volume, not immediately 6 level like Denon. PM8006 even more emptiness at the beginning (here will be my video). In the first PM8006, it was a defect from Marantz, but they have a very poor level of support and responsibility, so it was rarely repaired. In later releases, the problem has been fixed, but it still remains related to fine tuning. There is a whole thread on the German Hi-Fi forum with this problem.
You are obviously lucky with your Cambridge AXA35, because someone wrote, that for the CXA series, the volume regulator only works with a 5db step, which does not work at low volumes.
In principle, I tried to go for the electronic volume, but when I received the Denon PMA-900HNE, I immediately realized that I would not keep it, because the sound is the same as a cheap D-class amplifier. I don't know why, because I compared it with the Marantz PM6007 and, from memory, with the Denon PMA-600NE, where both were a head higher. Marantz has very precisely positioned the series and their prices by class. I would say so, look here for the sound class for the price.

Schlippwhip68

Marantz, although the volume control is empty at the beginning, for example from 1-5, at level 6 it becomes 2 level volume, not immediately 6 level like Denon. PM8006 even more emptiness at the beginning (here will be my video). In the first PM8006, it was a defect from Marantz, but they have a very poor level of support and responsibility, so it was rarely repaired. In later releases, the problem has been fixed, but it still remains related to fine tuning. There is a whole thread on the German Hi-Fi forum with this problem.
You are obviously lucky with your Cambridge AXA35, because someone wrote, that for the CXA series, the volume regulator only works with a 5db step, which does not work at low volumes.
In principle, I tried to go for the electronic volume, but when I received the Denon PMA-900HNE, I immediately realized that I would not keep it, because the sound is the same as a cheap D-class amplifier. I don't know why, because I compared it with the Marantz PM6007 and, from memory, with the Denon PMA-600NE, where both were a head higher. Marantz has very precisely positioned the series and their prices by class. I would say so, look here for the sound class for the price.
I did read somewhere that the AXA series from Cambridge is quite a bit different to the CXA series in many ways. The AXA35 was a big surprise for a lot of people in regards to tonality, actual real time use and sound quality, it is a big hit for many. The volume decrease and gain is a well noted and favoured point about this amp. I really liked it myself, elegant looking too and would buy another AXA35 without issue but it does not have a sub out which is a drawback but my new Monitor Audio Bronze 200s go as low as 35hrz which is good enough to live without a sub.
I'm quite surprised to hear that the 900HNE sounds like a cheap class d amp do excuse me for my doubt on that statement. I do have a local HiFi shop that sells that model so i will be checking it out first regardless as far as Marantz goes, it's a no from me. After listening to the 6006 UK edition (which is supposed to even be superior to the standard 6006), I knew it was not my cup of tea. I returned it to the seller almost immediately. Just too timid for me and i think Marantz has that timid kind of sound. They said the bass on the 6007 was improved as was the dac but I know it will still lack the solidity of the Denon. I will not rule out Marantz completely but personally it's not a sound i would buy over the Denon even though they are basically the same company they are definitely two seperate offerings which is good for the consumer in general to have that choice.

Last edited:
OP
sniegs

sniegs

I did read somewhere that the AXA series from Cambridge is quite a bit different to the CXA series in many ways. The AXA35 was a big surprise for a lot of people in regards to tonality, actual real time use and sound quality, it is a big hit for many. The volume decrease and gain is a well noted and favoured point about this amp. I really liked it myself, elegant looking too and would buy another AXA35 without issue but it does not have a sub out which is a drawback but my new Monitor Audio Bronze 200s go as low as 35hrz which is good enough to live without a sub.
I'm quite surprised to hear that the 900HNE sounds like a cheap class d amp do excuse me for my doubt on that statement. I do have a local HiFi shop that sells that model so i will be checking it out first regardless as far as Marantz goes, it's a no from me. After listening to the 6006 UK edition (which is supposed to even be superior to the standard 6006), I knew it was not my cup of tea. I returned it to the seller almost immediately. Just too timid for me and i think Marantz has that timid kind of sound. They said the bass on the 6007 was improved as was the dac but I know it will still lack the solidity of the Denon. I will not rule out Marantz completely but personally it's not a sound i would buy over the Denon even though they are basically the same company they are definitely two seperate offerings which is good for the consumer in general to have that choice.
I think Denon without DAC is a good option for you
smile32.gif
. Great promotion, returned item or not too old, on the secondary market.

Schlippwhip68

I think Denon without DAC is a good option for you
smile32.gif
. Great promotion, returned item or not too old, on the secondary market.
I don't really use the dac on my 600NE interestingly enough but saying that i have tested it and found some interesting results. I found better bass with the optical out running from my Denon DNP730AE than I did running it via analogue, which contradicts some reviews but again it's the source here. The Bluetooth is another that should be well tested before drawing any conclusions with the 600ne. For example I connected my iPhone 12 and it sounds mediocre at best, dull, lifless. I then connected my Apple Mac Mini M1 and that was and is a completely different story, the bluetooth bounced back into life giving a full sound with plenty of guts and detail but even then if I am going to use my Mac I will run it through the Topping E50, which is a great dac.

OP
sniegs

sniegs

For me, my system is end-game and I don't think I will change something in the near future. I also like my accurate tones control.
If I could play loudly, I would initially choose another system. Accordingly, my existing system is best for my needs.

The next step could be the revision of the acoustic properties of the room. Perhaps over time, the next step is to be able to review a Buchardt speaker or DIY, or I will experiment with warmer sound, but not Amp side.

Schlippwhip68

For me, my system is end-game and I don't think I will change something in the near future. I also like my accurate tones control.
If I could play loudly, I would initially choose another system. Accordingly, my existing system is best for my needs.

The next step could be the revision of the acoustic properties of the room. Perhaps over time, the next step is to be able to review a Buchardt speaker or DIY, or I will experiment with warmer sound, but not Amp side.
Sounds good.

Top Bottom