• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon M39 DAB / MA BX1 Upgrade Help

Witterings

Currently have a Denon M39 DAB and Monitor Audio BX1 speakers and a Q Acoustics 3060 Sub and it's absolutely brilliant for background music at mid volume but it gets quite "muddy" at lower volumes and it's in a room that could do with something more powerful and I'd like to be able to really crank it up sometimes ... my biggest problem is still trying to keep the combination on the smaller side.

If I could find an amp that may drive the speakers better at lower volume / with greater clarity I'd do that 1st and maybe upgrade the speakers later on.

Min Requirements

More Powerful
At least 1 digital input (ideally 2) and one RCA or 3.5mm input

Nice to have's in order of importance

Bluetooth ... ideally aptx
Radio ... of sorts just background music so quality not overly important
CD .... nice ... but not that bothered

Systems I've looked at and probablly discounted unless someone can convince me otherwise.

Topping MX5 .... really liked this ... especially with the inputs having auto on .... have an Alexa plugged in for Amazon music and if you want background radio just ask Alexa to play radio station and it'll switch amp on and start to play .... reviews on it aren't great not sure it'd be that much of an upgrade.
If this had a big brother that was decent quality, had a sub out (huge omission in my opinion) and a real upgrade I'd be sold as it ticks so may boxes especially with the auto input power on.

Denon PMA 60 .... Denon CEOL RCD-N11 .... Marantz - M-CR612A ... Initial impression looks good on all of these until you look at the distortion at the claimed power.

If anyone's got suggestions of where I should go whilst trying to keep the whole system as "minimalist" as possible (appreciate one's a trade off against the other) would be really appreciated.

Last edited:

Helicopter

Major Contributor
That amp you have is rated for 30WPC and I suspect limited output and speaker sensitivity is your bottleneck. Topping Mx5 should have more power, rated 60WPC, and might fix your problems. I really like the look of NAD 3020 for a minimalist system, but it's the same 30WPC rated power. Loxjie A30 is another little amp in the category.

Top Bottom