• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon HDMI 2.1 bug fixed internally on later AVR-xX700h models?

wseroyer

I Just got my Denon AVR-x4700h today after waiting for 3 months for it to arrive, This is my first new AVR in 15 years! and so far I'm loving it. I went on Denon's website to try and order the HDMI 2.1 one bug box, just so I could have it and I got a message from Denon saying that "Your device already has the necessary hardware for the perfect 4k120 gaming experience with all gaming consoles" has anyone else got this message can and they confirm that its true by testing it? "I don't have any HDMI 2.1 devices. I have have Trust issues with manufactures over HDMI 2.1 actually working "I'm sure you can understand".

no hdmi box needed.png

OP
wseroyer

wseroyer

Not to be rude but if you don't have any 2.1 devices why do you care? lol.

I'm going to probably have a PS5 or Xbox Series X when they are available in stores at some point, Also I care about future proofing myself a little bit I mostly game and use my HT as a dock for my gaming laptop so 4k120hz is important to me.

Golfx

Forum Donor
Your Denon was delayed long enough for the internal fix to be applied. Denon went to the expense of providing an external device to correct the defective Panasonic chip. They obviously use serial numbers to decide who gets these external devices and who already has them or who doesn’t need them. I would trust Denon. Usually very reliable company.

Teeter

Also, to have any effect, your TV has to be 2.1 If Denon did an internal fix to your unit, it would be X4700HA The HA models are to be out this Fall

Last edited:

Teeter

I see, Denon changed their ID update and kept as H, even though is 2.1 after May build date. I guess it makes sense. Maybe they should label with new update as 2021 models? Then, we all know the 2020 models have to have the kit for 2.1, if you need or not.

If you buy a new Denon, one may want to have the serial number to check with Denon, if you need 2.1 or not. For gaming, you also need a TV with 2.1, if you want the best picture, providing the gaming unit is 2.1.

Oski1997

I Just got my Denon AVR-x4700h today after waiting for 3 months for it to arrive, This is my first new AVR in 15 years! and so far I'm loving it. I went on Denon's website to try and order the HDMI 2.1 one bug box, just so I could have it and I got a message from Denon saying that "Your device already has the necessary hardware for the perfect 4k120 gaming experience with all gaming consoles" has anyone else got this message can and they confirm that its true by testing it? "I don't have any HDMI 2.1 devices. I have have Trust issues with manufactures over HDMI 2.1 actually working "I'm sure you can understand".

View attachment 144618
I bought my Denon this week and it works. Like others have said as long as the last 5 numbers of your serial number are higher than 70,000 (mine is 77,3xx) then your Denon has the fixed HDMI 2.1 port. Having an HDMI 2.1 port will allow future TVs to pass lossless audio like
  • Dolby TrueHD
  • DTS-HD MA
directly to your Denon via eArc so you don’t have to have an Nvidia Shield to pass through lossless audio. Sports will also be broadcast in 4K HDR10+ (or Dolby Vision) at 120Hz with lossless audio which will require HDMI 2.1 for us to hear the games through our home theater systems with lossless audio. For me, these two points are the most important reason I want a working HDMI 2.1 port on my Denon. I don’t plan to spend this kind of money on another receiver until the HDMI 2.2 models are released in 8-10 years (I hope Denons last 8-10 years with proper cooling).

PS - Since Sony’s Bravia Core is streaming 4K IMAX Enhanced content at 115mbps, I wouldn’t be surprised if their TV’s would be the first to pass DTS-HD MA since IMAX Enhanced uses it. Sony might already be using DTS-HD MA in their IMAX-E content in their 2021 TVs but I don’t think anyone knows for sure (as of yet).

Last edited:
Top Bottom