• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon DRA-800H Review (Stereo Receiver)

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Are there any that are recomended? You'd think pre/pro and stereo receivers would measure better than (multichannel) AVR but it's not the case

If they did that, they would not be able to sell at such high (relatively) price because then everyone would expect such a product should cost a lot less than a AVR such as the AVR-X3700H/X4700H.

Last edited:

SMc

This is disappointing but not that surprising. Any guess if there is an equivalent AVR? The S series seem to have the same DAC.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In the past week, someone at another new (and always informative) test/review reply, had requested to including "pricing" of the equipment on the SINAD bar-graph listings of all tested hardware (in reference to the current hardware being tested).
@amirm is kind enough to put the numeric SINAD value atop of each bar (hw) on this graph, but that information is already displayed on the y-axis tick-marks. The bar-graph's SINAD numerical value can be replaced by a 'price value' which can be a rounded-off to 3-digit price ranges.
For example, a product that is $149 retail can be put in the same "price value" range (category?) as a product selling for $50 and shown as 'category' 0.1. Similarly a product price of $950 would become category 1.0, or if hw price is $1,050; the category would become 1.1.
IMHO >> audio products like this mid-fi Denon are neither worth testing, or reviewing or reading or replying to and they really don't compliment ASR or the quality of reviewed hardware or the interests of (hopefully) most readers.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IMHO >> audio products like this mid-fi Denon are neither worth testing, or reviewing or reading or replying to and they really don't compliment ASR or the quality of reviewed hardware or the interests of (hopefully) most readers.

Denon has been hitting it out of the ballpark with the AVR line (look at the X3700H) so I think most people would have assumed that this 2 channel receiver could be an interesting value proposition for a bedroom setup where you want better than soundbar audio but don’t need surround sound. Sadly, it turns out not to be the case. I am not sure anyone would have predicted this amp to do so poorly.

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
Just note that this is a early 2019 model. Not certain this is still in production. Denon site shows out of stock. Just FYI. Certainly not defending Denon here as the performance was dismal on the Pantherised Test Bench!

PeteL

Major Contributor
Denon has been hitting it out of the ballpark with the AVR line (look at the X3700H) so I think most people would have assumed that this 2 channel receiver could be an interesting value proposition for a bedroom setup where you want better than soundbar audio but don’t need surround sound. Sadly, it turns out not to be the case. I am not sure anyone would have predicted this amp to do so poorly.
I am quite certain that with good speakers, and maybe a good sub, it will sound better than a sound bar.

Haint

$600 isn't a value proposition, the X3500 with Audyssey XT32 used to street for $500 a couple years ago, while the X3600 occassionally sold for $699. The extra 30W's isn't going to add anything cause you're well into the exponential Power:dB curve once you pass 100W's. This device serves no purpose a penny over $200 or $300, aside from flushing your money down a toilet. You're better off buying any Sub-$100 used AVR for your budget bedroom setup.

Taddpole

Just note that this is a early 2019 model. Not certain this is still in production. Denon site shows out of stock. Just FYI. Certainly not defending Denon here as the performance was dismal on the Pantherised Test Bench!

Tbh I think that's more the lack of chips than decision on their part.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
$600 isn't a value proposition, the X3500 with Audyssey XT32 used to street for $500 a couple years ago, while the X3600 occassionally sold for $699. The extra 30W's isn't going to add anything cause you're well into the exponential Power:dB curve once you pass 100W's. This device serves no purpose a penny over $200 or $300, aside from flushing your money down a toilet. You're better off buying any Sub-$100 used AVR for your budget bedroom setup.

Agree. The context of my comment can be confusing.

Is this worth spending the time to test? Yes, it could be an interesting value based upon the marketing data.

Is it an interesting value, now that we have data? Not at all. There is no reason to buy this.

diddley

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hmmz... 4-16 Ohm rated. It appears they mounted the small bridge/D5701 on the heatsink with the measly 4 output transistors. That might explain the odor of the hot'n smelly cheap heatsink. Or is that small transformer burning off varnish/oil? This unit is CDN $800.00 That's a whole lot of moola for this level of poor performance. Denon dropped the ball on this play for sure.
91R91ocVyKL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Marantz NR1200SI
maranr1200si_05.jpg

eddantes

Agree. The context of my comment can be confusing.

Is this worth spending the time to test? Yes, it could be an interesting value based upon the marketing data.

Is it an interesting value, now that we have data? Not at all. There is no reason to buy this.

There is a reason - convenience at an affordable price.

Any Denon AVR that was tested here and scores significantly better is at least 2-3x in price or more (including in the used market - as I've been looking for x3600h). While retail for 800h is too high, I doubt that many units were sold at list and most were discounted. So if this has no reason - what would be a $600-800 AVR that scores significantly better SINAD and provides the same convenience?

1632182318028.png

Or more precisely any of these?

1632182423026.png

If we factor in price - it's not that easy to to dismiss this product. Y'all being moneybags, maybe it doesn't factor in, but for some of us every $ counts.

Last edited:

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If we factor in price - it's not that easy to to dismiss this product. Y'all being moneybags, maybe it doesn't factor in, but for some of us every $ counts.

Personally, if you look at eBay and secondipity (which has the same address as Sony’s warranty depot), you can find some stellar Sony ES deals refurbed sometimes. Can get a STR-ZA3100es or 5000es in the $800 range when they have a make an offer.

The other one is the NR1710 which might be interesting since it has Audyssey XT and supports the Audyssey app.
https://www.accessories4less.com/ma...hdAGPSBc-9PcDnB0BXvs4f5_v_iO9-YBoC6ycQAvD_BwE

eddantes

Personally, if you look at eBay and secondipity (which has the same address as Sony’s warranty depot), you can find some stellar Sony ES deals refurbed sometimes. Can get a STR-ZA3100es or 5000es in the $800 range when they have a make an offer.

The other one is the NR1710 which might be interesting since it has Audyssey XT and supports the Audyssey app.
https://www.accessories4less.com/ma...hdAGPSBc-9PcDnB0BXvs4f5_v_iO9-YBoC6ycQAvD_BwE
Are either of those devices measured anywhere? I can't seem to find them. How do they compare objectively?

Haint

There is a reason - convenience at an affordable price.

Any Denon AVR that was tested here and scores significantly better is at least 2-3x in price or more (including in the used market - as I've been looking for x3600h). While retail for 800h is too high, I doubt that many units were sold at list and most were discounted. So if this has no reason - what would be a $600-800 AVR that scores significantly better SINAD and provides the same convenience?

View attachment 154706
Or more precisely any of these?

View attachment 154707

To be fair Covid and the AKM fire are 100% responsible for the doubling and tripling of prices, time will tell whether it's temporary or permanent. The X3600 had a U.S. MSRP of $1099, and like most TV's, Denon MSRP's have historically been fake--serving no purpose but for retailers to slash through and advertise $300 discounts. If the price hikes are here to stay, I fear the Hifi and Home Theater markets are going to become even more niche and irrelvant as it's going to be impossible to convince new or mildly interested buyers to pay $1500 for a receiver alone.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

AndreaT

Poor in every measurement and probably sold to many duped customers. It’s a lemon by every standard. You can do much much better buying separate DAC and amplifier for a 2.1 dedicated video sound system.

respice finem

Major Contributor
Poor in every measurement and probably sold to many duped customers. It’s a lemon by every standard. You can do much much better buying separate DAC and amplifier for a 2.1 dedicated video sound system.
If at least it had Audyssey... As it is, every basic AVR beats it (and mostly costs less).

JohnBooty

Forum Donor
Build an audiophile class 2-channel integrated amplifier with DSP and HDMI input and you will have a very unique and desirable product.
I would love this as well. In lieu of that I'd settle for more integrated receiver companies simply including a damn main out / pre in loop like they used to, so I can add my own bass management / DSP but still use the integrated receiver for input switching and master volume control.

Essentially, I wish companies still made units like the good ol' HK3490 for < $500, I guess.

digicidal

Major Contributor
I'd love to see a pre-amp with exactly this set of inputs (but balanced outs preferrably). Sadly the NAD offerings I'd like to go with are already quite pricey (C658/M12) but then get even pricier with the addition of the HDMI module at ~$350 more! Of course, almost no one ever has those in stock - so it's a purely academic exercise to even consider it. :rolleyes:

ah-ra

Great review! I was tempted to buy one of those a year ago.... Happy I didn't buy one. Would be great to see a review of a current Marantz integrated (without digital section) like the PM8006..... would send it over, but am living in Germany....

Top Bottom