• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon DA300USB vs modern DACs (Smsl SU-8, D50s etc)

marv

Hi to all.. I've been thinking of upgrading my home set up along with buying a new Headphone whis is discussed in the other thread I posted.

Question:

Will there be any benefit if I replace my Denon with newer DACs? Just an update I just got a good deal for a THX 789, couldn't pass it up, not that my Liquid Spark has problems, it works great, I just wanted to future proof my setup. I like the looks and the balanced feature of the 789. Just in case I encounter problems with ground loops in the future, So will the PCM1795 dac chip implemented in the Denon with AL32 Processing as Denon markets it.. Be just the same with other DACs? I'm planning on a D50s or SU-8 v2. The Denon is also an amp but I will use it as Dac only, using its RCA out to feed the SE input in the 789. Will the features of the new DACs prove beneficial in the future?

if the the benefits outweigh the effort of changing i will get the new ones but if not and most especially if they have the same performance, i will stick with the denon as my DAC

here is the link to some info on the denon:

https://www.qobuz.com/fr-fr/info/Hi-Fi/Bancs-d-essai/Denon-DA-300USB-Japanese174996

I'm planning to put my LS in my office desk.

Thank you for any inputs

Last edited:

Bob-23

Denon DA300USB vs modern DAC
The Denon is already 'postmodern', I'd say. The Denon was very well received when it appeared, and I guess, it's good enough. Why not send it to Amir for a test? If you used headphone out, that, indeed, could be suboptimal with some headphones (but not with all): output Impedance is 90 Ohm, according to Denon (I asked them 5 years ago, 'cause a friend was interested in the DA300.)

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
-7b12a43d978c0274.png

Good implementation of pcm1795 is really really good. This is from TEAC UD501 i recently got. Pcm1795 had the potential to beat ak4493 all those years ago. Needs measurements of da300 for the actual performance.

chris719

Good implementation of pcm1795 is really really good. This is from TEAC UD501 i recently got. Pcm1795 had the potential to beat ak4493 all those years ago. Needs measurements of da300 for the actual performance.

Have you ever tested a good implementation of PCM1792A? I assume it would measure slightly better even based on the datasheet.

Top Bottom