• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon capacitor issue ...now HDMI 2.1 issue!!!

Mike4700h

Now it comes out that Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, etc. AVR's using Panasonic chipset won't pass 4k 120hz material! Don't these companies test their product prior to distribution? So those of us that purchased the new AVR's are not future proofed even though they advertised the 2.1 spec. for passing 8k/60hz and 4/k 120hz. This is insane just coming off the capacitor issues with Marantz and Denon.

https://www.audioholics.com/news/sound-united-hdmi-2.1-no-issue

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
And the downsampling audio issue discovered by Amir.

ChrisHeinonen

All of these products shipped before any HDMI 2.1 devices that did 4K at 120Hz were available, so they couldn't test them with any of these. There's also lots of TVs out there now that currently don't have HDMI 2.1 features like VRR working with 4K 120Hz. Firmware updates will likely fix most of these, and many TVs out there have already gotten fixes for these to work correctly, but companies were having to ship these products without being able to fully test them with sources so unless they refuse to fix the issue, I'd give them a bit of slack as they try to fix it.

OP
M

Mike4700h

I just bought my AVRX4700H.....have until 31 Jan to return.....need serial#'s to identify which AVR's do what they are "falsely" advertised to do....

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I just bought my AVRX4700H.....have until 31 Jan to return.....need serial#'s to identify which AVR's do what they are "falsely" advertised to do....
I don't think we ever got any information about serious numbers and fixes.

OP
M

Mike4700h

I would think that they would have the ability to pass a 4k/120hz signal via a computer/industrial instrument to check specs....not relying on Sony or Microsoft to supply hardware to validate what they have promised the consumer.

This is a hardware issue...not going to be fixed by a software update. Denon has said all current AVR's are ok....nice to have serial#'s to check if mine is ok. In lieu of that...going to return an hope I get a newer unit. Went through this with the LG CX....not getting shafted again!

Taddpole

Now it comes out that Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, etc. AVR's using Panasonic chipset won't pass 4k 120hz material! Don't these companies test their product prior to distribution? So those of us that purchased the new AVR's are not future proofed even though they advertised the 2.1 spec. for passing 8k/60hz and 4/k 120hz. This is insane just coming off the capacitor issues with Marantz and Denon.

https://www.audioholics.com/news/sound-united-hdmi-2.1-no-issue

Have you been asleep for a few weeks?

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/.../bug-hdmi-2-1-chip-panasonic-solutions.16979/

OP
M

Mike4700h

Taddpole...thanks for the link...and no....I haven't been asleep, however, I did miss this hdmi 2.1 issue. I don't live and troll the forums and my searches did not happen to find this "nugget of bliss". I guess I'll settle for this b.s. and buy another a few years down the road...thankfully I bought the 4700h...there budget avr.

valerianf

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/denon-avr-x4700h-2020-avr-review.14188/

The first review of the Denon 4700 measured a huge reduction of the S/N measurement due to the down-sampling of the number of channel between the input and the output (i.e. 7.1 to stereo).
According to Amir this noise increase is present on all Denon AVRs.
If I understood properly, when my BR player send a 7.1 track and my AVR mixed it down to 5.1 then BINGO the Denon noise increase!
Hopefully for now I have a old Yamaha (5.1) and it is my TV that do the down-sampling.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I understood properly, when my BR player send a 7.1 track and my AVR mixed it down to 5.1 then BINGO the Denon noise increase!
Hopefully for now I have a old Yamaha (5.1) and it is my TV that do the down-sampling.

No, not quite correct. As far as I understand, the issue there is not something that would occur in normal use. Amir was feeding only 2 channels of input(L/R) while the Windows setting was 7.1 channel and so the AVR expected 8-channel input.

I doubt this configuration is possible to create without a PC source specifically configured in this way. Most sources automatically match input data and output format.

valerianf

Could Amir give his opinion about the Denon down-mixing from a 7.1 source (i.e. Dolby Atmos from a BR player/Fire stick...) to a lower resolution speaker setting (5.1, 3.1, 2.0)?

Top Bottom