• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X8500H AVR Review

Anterantz

Hello guys, I have a question that it eats me from the inside, my room is small and I don't need more power, but something curious happens to me when I pass, audyssey leaves me the fronts at -1.5 / -2.0 and my room is small. channels and turning off all the other amplifiers and it keeps giving me the same values !! Shouldn't I give more power to two channels and therefore audyssey still cut me more?
What is happening here is this normal? the surrounds in -8 atmos -9 / -10 and central -4 I only have 9 channels .. I need to turn up the volume a lot to hear it with punch.

Thunder22

Congrats, On finding a x8500h as there appears to be none available on the internet. I’ve been looking for either the marantz sr8015 or denon x8500h to replace my Yamaha cx-a5200. Looking forward to hearing your opinion of their sound.
I see there are still refurbished X8500H available. Were you looking for brand new?

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello guys, I have a question that it eats me from the inside, my room is small and I don't need more power, but something curious happens to me when I pass, audyssey leaves me the fronts at -1.5 / -2.0 and my room is small. channels and turning off all the other amplifiers and it keeps giving me the same values !! Shouldn't I give more power to two channels and therefore audyssey still cut me more?
What is happening here is this normal? the surrounds in -8 atmos -9 / -10 and central -4 I only have 9 channels .. I need to turn up the volume a lot to hear it with punch.
The settings you describe for the fronts is pretty typical. The rears seem like too much. I think it depends a lot on the room dimensions, the distance from the listening position of your surround speakers, how hard the surfaces are, and how sensitive your speakers are. What are the distances for your speakers in the audyssey settings? What are the sensitivities of your front speakers and surrounds from their spec sheets. If your surrounds are 91db and your fronts are 86db AND your rears are half the distance to the listening position then those setting start to sound reasonable. Try re-running your audyssey settings and see if you get the same results again.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Open box, full manufacturer warranty. I bought one from them and was very happy. Didn’t revel appear the box was ever opened (at least the one I received). It would make me a little uneasy with only 1 year on an item at this dollar amount. If you go open box with 3 year warranty, you can purchase with a credit card that adds on an additional year or 2.
https://www.safeandsoundhq.com/prod...l-a-v-reveiver-with-auro-3d-and-heos-open-box

Last edited:

Anterantz

The settings you describe for the fronts is pretty typical. The rears seem like too much. I think it depends a lot on the room dimensions, the distance from the listening position of your surround speakers, how hard the surfaces are, and how sensitive your speakers are. What are the distances for your speakers in the audyssey settings? What are the sensitivities of your front speakers and surrounds from their spec sheets. If your surrounds are 91db and your fronts are 86db AND your rears are half the distance to the listening position then those setting start to sound reasonable. Try re-running your audyssey settings and see if you get the same results again.
Hello, my fronts are at 2.00 meters and they are 86db, my central is 89 as well as the surround that I have about 110cm on each side of my head! My room is narrow 240cm but if I calibrate only in two channels and all the power goes to the front ones, shouldn't it give me even more negative values?

Anterantz

By the way I have added two monophonic stages for the front ones and when connecting them to the preout front outputs it leaves them in 0.0db I must raise the volume enough to notice them ... I thought they would be small stages but today I connect them directly to the pc through an external dac And the stages at 1/4 of their power already sound louder to me than if I connect them to the previous output of the denon, do you know what it could be due to? The stage has a sensitivity of 1v is this why?

Obetwo

Open box, full manufacturer warranty. I bought one from them and was very happy. Didn’t revel appear the box was ever opened (at least the one I received). It would make me a little uneasy with only 1 year on an item at this dollar amount. If you go open box with 3 year warranty, you can purchase with a credit card that adds on an additional year or 2.
https://www.safeandsoundhq.com/prod...l-a-v-reveiver-with-auro-3d-and-heos-open-box
Thank you I’ll consider it =)

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello, my fronts are at 2.00 meters and they are 86db, my central is 89 as well as the surround that I have about 110cm on each side of my head! My room is narrow 240cm but if I calibrate only in two channels and all the power goes to the front ones, shouldn't it give me even more negative values?
It sounds like your levels are likely correct to the targets audessey is designed to hit. If you don't like the volume levels the way audessey sets them you can simply go into the settings and adjust them yourself until to get the volume levels you want. The idea is to set all your speakers so they are balanced when you hit the reference volume level.

Anterantz

It sounds like your levels are likely correct to the targets audessey is designed to hit. If you don't like the volume levels the way audessey sets them you can simply go into the settings and adjust them yourself until to get the volume levels you want. The idea is to set all your speakers so they are balanced when you hit the reference volume level.
A friend of mine with an 8500 had an xpa that he ended up selling because according to the pre-outs they were clipping the stage and he bought a halo parasoumd with variable voltage adjustment and it improved drastically ... could this be happening to me with the mono stages? How much is the output voltage of our 8500h?

bo_knows

Addicted to Fun and Learning

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A friend of mine with an 8500 had an xpa that he ended up selling because according to the pre-outs they were clipping the stage and he bought a halo parasoumd with variable voltage adjustment and it improved drastically ... could this be happening to me with the mono stages? How much is the output voltage of our 8500h?

That makes no sense at all, what the heck does "according to the pre-outs they were clipping the stage" even mean?

The X8500H is an AVC, you obviously control the preamp output voltage using the volume control knob and well before the Denon clips the XPA amps will likely be maxed out anyway.

Anterantz

That makes no sense at all, what the heck does "according to the pre-outs they were clipping the stage" even mean?

The X8500H is an AVC, you obviously control the preamp output voltage using the volume control knob and well before the Denon clips the XPA amps will likely be maxed out anyway.
I have calibrated in two channels with the stage and the 8500 and I have left the monitors in todoband since I do not use a subwoofer and I turn it up to 70 volume and it does not give the same bass that the stage + dac + pc gives me ... removing that I like audyssey better than without it ... the combo pc + dac + marantz stages sounds much louder than if I use it connected to the 8500, could the preout outputs be failing?

Top Bottom