• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X8500H AVR Review

DrewMcG

Forum Donor
For example if I didn’t want 13 channels of processing, Auro 3D, DTS Pro, dialogue enhancer, amp disconnect on all channels I too would go for the x3700 x4700 etc
X4700H has Auro 3d....

Last edited:

carlob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yeah. Drop the amps, put XLR outs on the back and implement dirac. Would be a killer that ends all other Pre Pros in that price range.

Seems to me that the Monoprice HTP-1 is still one of the best pre-pro options around

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems to me that the Monoprice HTP-1 is still one of the best pre-pro options around
If I wanted a pre-pro that would be the only one I would consider. 16 channels, dirac, dirac bass management Etc. I’ve had both Audyssey and Dirac And if using eq under 500hz (my current preference) I’m not sure if I could tell the difference. If doing full correction I think there is probably bigger difference. Using the internal amps for some/most of the channels really makes the 8500 a good value and as the measurements have shown, a better performer than the Pre-Pros measured so far.

rccarguy

If I wanted a pre-pro that would be the only one I would consider. 16 channels, dirac, dirac bass management Etc. I’ve had both Audyssey and Dirac And if using eq under 500hz (my current preference) I’m not sure if I could tell the difference. If doing full correction I think there is probably bigger difference. Using the internal amps for some/most of the channels really makes the 8500 a good value and as the measurements have shown, a better performer than the Pre-Pros measured so far.

I'm looking for a 7.2 av pre amp. Any suggestions?

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm looking for a 7.2 av pre amp. Any suggestions?
Denon x3700. Just because it has atmos you don’t have to use it. :) Run it in full preamp mode. I’m sure there are a lot of good choices, but that would be mine. Audyssey XT32, 2 independent sub outputs and measures very well. Another option might be an Emotiva XMC-1. They have had their issues for sure with their new stuff but I think the XMC1 is pretty solid, measures well, and has Dirac. I would still opt for one of the Denon receivers and use it as a preamp though unless balanced connections are a must (if you have had ground loop issues, etc).

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Yeah. Drop the amps, put XLR outs on the back and implement dirac. Would be a killer that ends all other Pre Pros in that price range.

They would have to change the name Denon. :)

Maconi

Yeah, if you want XLR and Dirac it's still one of the best options IMO.

The HTP-1's best SINAD was taken off the list (102 dB @ 2.7v) but this Denon gets 103dB @ 1.4v (and it seems it roughly maintains it through 4v). If you're using standard amps (usually between 1v-2v balanced) with the HTP-1 you're getting similar performance.

index.php

index.php

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

The HTP-1's best SINAD was taken off the list (102 dB @ 2.7v) but this Denon gets 103dB @ 1.4v (and it seems it roughly maintains it through 4v). If you're using standard amps (usually between 1v-2v balanced) with the HTP-1 you're getting similar performance.

index.php

index.php

Aside from the balanced input missing in the Denon, the two seems quite even overall based on the measurements. The Monoprice did seem to behave a little weird in the linearity test though I wonder if the effect would be noticeable. My guess, is that it won't be but not entirely sure, would love to hear from experts on that..

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They would have to change the name Denon. :)

Agreed, how about Marnon, or Denrantz, to be designed by a joined teams, and marketed as an middle ground brand that implements the best of both worlds for fans of the two major/original United Sound brands?

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

index.php

index.php

Processors should not be compared at their best performing voltage. 2.7 volts may be plenty for most amps but 4 volts is the defacto standard.
I suspect the HTP-2 will maintain its performance to 4 volts.

- Rich

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Agreed, how about Marnon, or Denrantz, to be designed by a joined teams, and marketed as an middle ground brand that implements the best of both worlds for fans of the two major/original United Sound brands?

Perhaps they are likely already combined. Lose the manager in charge of rounded sides, portal displays, gooey filters, and copper bases.

- Rich

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice piece of kit. Thank you @amirm for the work on evaluating a complex product. As usual, I feel faint when looking at the back panel of this beast. The ceiling spins slowly... If you divide its price by the number of inputs and outputs it's a screaming deal.

mongobot

Forum Donor

I'm with you on this.
They almost came out with an AVP (AVP-CIX) way back in 2009 and then cancelled it. Shame.

rccarguy

Denon x3700. Just because it has atmos you don’t have to use it. :) Run it in full preamp mode. I’m sure there are a lot of good choices, but that would be mine. Audyssey XT32, 2 independent sub outputs and measures very well. Another option might be an Emotiva XMC-1. They have had their issues for sure with their new stuff but I think the XMC1 is pretty solid, measures well, and has Dirac. I would still opt for one of the Denon receivers and use it as a preamp though unless balanced connections are a must (if you have had ground loop issues, etc).

Want XLR fully balanced out. With dual XLR sub out

bigguyca

Processors should not be compared at their best performing voltage. 2.7 volts may be plenty for most amps but 4 volts is the defacto standard.

- Rich

Monoprice will have to get someone better to design an HTP-2. The HTP-frankly has an odd analog design. It was hard to design less than really good performance at 4V output, but they managed it. Starting with an AK4493 DAC IC, using Cirrus Login IC volume controls, and having the luxury of a clean sheet design, the performance should have been class-leading.

The HTP-1 has the feeling of a device designed by a committee with no one really good in charge, no one with the proverbial "fire in the belly" to produce something special. The analog design is one of the few original designs in the HTP-1. Much of the product is off the shelf from 3rd party vendors, with attendant limitations in features and performance. Monoprice took what was available. Clearly Monoprice also didn't understand the challenge of the software development task to integrate all the pieces together.

The HTP-1 is expensive out the door. $4k is likely the typical selling price. Denon gear typically goes for much less than list with even a modest amount of shopping. An X8500X is a far better value with better preamp performance (these latest measurements have shown the real value of measurements, they don't just reveal dogs, but also excellent performers) and satisfactory power amplifiers thrown in for good measure.

The ability to disconnect the preamp section from the power amplifier section on the channel-by-channel basis in the X8500H adds great value in itself. An obvious example is using a three channel amplifier for the L/C/R driven by excellent preamp outputs, and use the internal power amplifiers for the remainder of the channels.

Several members on AVS on the HTP-1 thread were commenting in the last week on the low serial numbers they received on recently purchased units and wondering how many HTP-1's have been sold.

The Monoprice Monolith power amplifiers and subs were relatively easy because they are from one vendor. They perform well and offer good value. AVP's are much more complex products. Monoprice likely underestimated the task of providing a good value AVP with excellent performance, with the level of expertise they have available, and cost they intended.

Maconi

- Rich

I get it it, and yeah it's neat if a product can maintain the performance all the way to 4v since that's obviously a sign of good design/quality. The point is it doesn't matter to the majority of people out there. Very few people are actually powering their units with amps pushing 4v (I know they exist but they aren't commonly used). It doesn't matter if my car can push 200 MPH if I only ever drive it at 45 MPH (probably a bad analogy but that's all I've got lol).

jomark911

Ok !lets summarise.
8500H does what?
Does it doing it wright?
Does it doing it wrong?
What the heck is it doing?

Top Bottom