• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X8500H AVR Review

Andysu

Major Contributor
another recent firmware few no days ago , noticed i did ? but for what part of the 8500 ? if for , heos i hardly use for internet radio .

rvsixer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
RayDunzl said:
It says it has 13 amplifiers, but there are 15 speaker terminal pairs.
It processes 15, but you have to add an external amplifier.

The correct answer is found in the "Connecting 15.1 channel speakers" section of the manual (I won't quote a page number since that varies by region). Basically only 13 of the speaker terminals/preouts are active in 15.1-channel mode, so you can leave unused top layer speakers connected when switching decoders (i.e you can leave two Atmos top layer speakers connected while you switch to Auro3D top center and VOG speakers instead, etc.).

Last edited:

pras1011

The marantz sounded dull, flat with no bass. So much so that I had to use tone controls on it to make it sound better.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's been measured a few times here. It's distortion. The marantz equivalent to denon always measures worse.
Does that particularly translate into something audible, tho? I'm aware of the measurements and use of hdam, etc.

Krobar

It's been measured a few times here. It's distortion. The marantz equivalent to denon always measures worse.
For most of them but it seems the AV10 will likely be an exception.

Marantz have a slightly smoothed sound signature which some people like and some dont.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Does that particularly translate into something audible, tho? I'm aware of the measurements and use of hdam, etc.

Marantz might have accidentally admitted their marketing talks of the HDAM sound, to the subjectivists, or added distortion, to the objectivists, are just hype, not facts.. In the AV10 manual, they, again, I really believe their marketing missed it, so it fell through the crack.

It stated the following (taken directly from page 192 of the owner's manual):

The poor cat is finally out of the bag, it will be next to impossible for them to continue the psychologist guided and engineered marketing strategy lol...

This being the truth means, based on the known science and engineering principle (Electrical/electronic theories, and Fournier analysis etc.):

1) The Marantz sound will become virtually the same as the Denon sound if Filter 2 is selected, or
2) Same as 1) if analog inputs are used and listen in direct or pure direct mode, or
3) Keep it in the "Default" Marantz sound, but it should, in theory, sound the same as the Denon sound for people with normal hearing, if listen to music contents recorded/mastered with sampling frequency above 48 kHz, or even at 48 kHz because at such high sampling rate, even the slow roll off filter will have very little drop from above 10kHz and the ultrasonic harmonics will be much reduced.

1683460202471.png

If the AV10 was out at the time I opted for the AVM70, I would most likely have kept the Denon AVR and wait for the AV10 price drop over Christmas, Black Friday or something, and then grab it, just because of the Dirac Live option and the ability to enjoy both Marantz and Denon sound.

Last edited:

pras1011

The Arcams and Marantz av8805 have measured badly unlike the x8500. Does this mean that the x8500 will sound better than the avr850/avr10/av8805?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Arcams and Marantz av8805 have measured badly unlike the x8500. Does this mean that the x8500 will sound better than the avr850/avr10/av8805?
Not so simple as a single number.

The X8500H is capable of delivering a closer representation of what is recorded when used as a DAC. The greater accuracy or “electrical transparency” may not be audible.

When used as a receiver with its amplification, it will depend on the load. The X8500H does worse than the cheaper Denon’s at lower power (5W SINAD) but is less likely to clip with power. The “worse” performance may still be inaudible.

Then you have to factor in Room EQ differences.

pras1011

I was hoping for an answer! Lol. I absolutely hated the sound from the AV8805 and I can get a x8500ha for a good price.

jbattman1016

I was hoping for an answer! Lol. I absolutely hated the sound from the AV8805 and I can get a x8500ha for a good price.

I'm not sure you are going to hear a difference. Are you sure you have proper settings on the current system? If you can get it for a good price, then no harm if you are ok with that investment.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What did you hate about the sound?

MOST likely, downloading the Audyssey app or upgrading to the the desktop version will help considerably *unless* your speakers are in a bad location.

Edit: If your speakers are in bad positions, you need Sony or Yamaha.

pras1011

I have a lexicon mc10 and sda7200 and may want to go back to a one box solution. The sound from the av8805 was so muffled and I felt deaf. MC10 brought the sound back to crisp and clear.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a lexicon mc10 and sda7200 and may want to go back to a one box solution. The sound from the av8805 was so muffled and I felt deaf. MC10 brought the sound back to crisp and clear.

That may have been the midrange compensation of Audyssey if you were using that.

The MC10 has Dirac and probably measure at least as well as the Arcam SR250, which is pretty good.

Amir had problems with his AVR850 when using 2 ch HDMI (which I didn’t)

In any case, I don’t think any new receiver will be a meaningful jump in performance given that you Atmos, Dirac and a SINAD somewhere between 94 and 99 dB.

Top Bottom