• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X8500H AVR Review

ericepp

If you look at the schematics, it would appear that the disconnection is done the same way, that disconnects the power signal input to the pre out regardless of custom or preamp mode.
I appreciate the feedback on the disconnect feature. I'm more interested in the pre amp assignments in "custom" mode. I have a power amp for my 7 primary channels, I'm wondering if it will let me use 4 height channels amplified by the Denon, and run 7.1 on my external amp and sub.

bo_knows

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I appreciate the feedback on the disconnect feature. I'm more interested in the pre amp assignments in "custom" mode. I have a power amp for my 7 primary channels, I'm wondering if it will let me use 4 height channels amplified by the Denon, and run 7.1 on my external amp and sub.
Yes, it will allow you to do that. In the "custom" mode, you can pick and choose what speaker output to disconnect from using the internal amplifier. I hope that makes sense.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I don't have to 8500 but according to the manual on page 234, you can do it as it says: the internal amplifier of this unit is assigned as desired.
See also page 240.

1662138398384.png

Legal-Alien

"Custom" Mode allows you nearly all possible combinations for internal/external amp per channel.

I just missed the possibility to assign Front-Speaker B (if you ever use this combination) different to Front-A.
This means, if you run 2 different Front-Speaker pairs, you can't assign Front-A to internal and Front-B to external amp. In "custom", there is no setting for Front-B.
Maybe a few other combinations are missing in "custom", I have not checked.

ericepp

Yes sir, I looked at that too. I just wanted to see if someone had verified that it means what it says. :D I'm a little disappointed that it doesn't have the same feature on the Marantz models. They are all or nothing. Excepting when you choose 13.1, you get to assign two fronts or heights to a pre amp. Thanks again for your input.

N1ck

There is no issue with the different DACs that you are going to hear.
The replacement DACs measure around 14db lower with distortion don’t they? If the dac changes aren’t audible what the point in using better ones in the first place?

N1ck

Lol, I can understand that. Just knowing it’s not as good is annoying.

jbattman1016

Yeah, idk, I honestly count use a the lower s060 ones and I LIEKLY wouldn't notice a difference day to day (in my small setup). Only running a 3.1, but I HOPE once the basement gets finished I can move things down there and have some serious upgrade fun from 3.1 to 3.2 lol.

Frontino

So, I still have not understood if it's possible to exclusively amplify the center channel, switch all the others off and send them to the pre-outs.

Can anyone try that, please? Thanks.

jbattman1016

So, I still have not understood if it's possible to exclusively amplify the center channel, switch all the others off and send them to the pre-outs.

Can anyone try that, please? Thanks.
I thought the preouts were always active, but I don't use them, but yes you can customize which AMPs are enabled/disabled as desired.

pedrob

I've finally given up on Audyssey and indeed all processing, and gone with pure direct for everything. Speaker distance and levels still seem to be active. Video channels are heard as supplied - generally, 2.0, 5.1, 7.1 or Atmos.

The improvement is simply stunning.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

jbattman1016

I've finally given up on Audyssey and indeed all processing, and gone with pure direct for everything. Speaker distance and levels still seem to be active. Video channels are heard as supplied - generally, 2.0, 5.1, 7.1 or Atmos.

The improvement is simply stunning.
Glad you are enjoying your system :)

Frontino

I see that current output in 4 ohm does often not nearly double relative to 8 ohm in most amplifiers, before clipping.

But does that also happen, say, 10 dB below the amp nominal output, like if the amp does 10 W in 8 ohm but does not double to 20 or even 19 in 4 ohm?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I see that current output in 4 ohm does often not nearly double relative to 8 ohm in most amplifiers, before clipping.

But does that also happen, say, 10 dB below the amp nominal output, like if the amp does 10 W in 8 ohm but does not double to 20 or even 19 in 4 ohm?

The answer is in the graph. It can do better than that as it will double until it reaches its clipping point, that can be seen on the graph where distortions start to rise sharply and won't come back down after that point.

Amir picked the clipping point to be at 224.6 W. Under the same test conditions, if the load was 8 ohms then the output would have been 224.3/2 = 112.15 W. That means the amp can maintain the double down from 8 to 4 ohms at up to about 112 W.

The amp is rated for about 150 W, 112/150 = 0.747, or about -1.27 dB So that's a lot better than your question on the -10 dB below the amp's "nominal output", assuming you actually meant "nominal output" is "rated output". If that's not, then you need to define what "nominal output" is.

index.php

Top Bottom