• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X8500H AVR Review

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
I’m finally making time to setup my 8500HA tomorrow with external amps for all channels. Any reason why I wouldn’t run a firmware upgrade first before messing with anything or should it not matter? I know I need to set the Denon to preamplifier mode. It will be a 15 channel setup allowing the Denon to choose speakers based on source.
It doesn’t matter the last update was mostly focused on HEOS functionality so you will be good either way really. If you wait to update until after you do the setup and run Audyeesy. Do a system backup to a thumb drive before the update. If it were me I would do the update first just to get it out of the way and Less to think about while accomplishing the setup. JMHO

amper42

Major Contributor
If your Denon works no need to complete any firmware updates. I haven't seen a single Deon receiver update that added a new function I needed. :D

amper42

Major Contributor
At one point they added DTS:X via firmware :)
Yeah, that was in 2016. Many years before existing Denon receivers were released. These days you run a Denon update and can't figure out what it did. If you do find a release note it's usually nothing that impacts your usage. The only thing I do notice is how some of these updates can take 20+ minutes as the hardware is pitifully under powered. Pray you don't have a power outage at the same time and brick the receiver.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, that was in 2016. Many years before existing Denon receivers were released. These days you run a Denon update and can't figure out what it did. If you do find a release note it's usually nothing that impacts your usage. The only thing I do notice is how some of these updates can take 20+ minutes as the hardware is pitifully under powered. Pray you don't have a power outage at the same time and brick the receiver.
I believe it was last year they also fixed the preamp mode that was broken on the x8500…. I guess my point is features do get added sometimes, and fixes as well. But I understand where you are coming from…

PianoProdigy

do we know what firmware fixed the preamp issue? I don’t feel the need to upgrade for no reason, so as long as my firmware has the preamp fix, I may just leave it alone

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
do we know what firmware fixed the preamp issue? I don’t feel the need to upgrade for no reason, so as long as my firmware has the preamp fix, I may just leave it alone
It was in the AVSForum thread. I brought it up to user jdsmoothie who was in close contact with Denon and said the issue was fixed in that firmware. But it was never retested to confirm. There is no reason to use preamp mode though since you can individually disconnect amps via the settings.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Here is the full list in chronological order of all 8500h updates: You can read for yourself what updates are made and when.

jbattman1016

You should run all the updates if you plan to have your receiver hooked up to the internal before you setup JUST IN CASE you have to re-run calibration. :) Otherwise nothing to worry about...

Oniiz86

At one point they added DTS:X via firmware :)
I believe it was last year they also fixed the preamp mode that was broken on the x8500…. I guess my point is features do get added sometimes, and fixes as well. But I understand where you are coming from…
@Dj7675 Obviously you meant the DTS:X Pro firmware update that also brought DSU upmixing to FWs & SB Mono (6.1) configurations but also rectified a DTS:X decoder bug where Front Wides where not engaged if Surround Back speakers were present with native DTS:X soundtracks, engaging Neural:X when upmixing DTS/DTS-HD-MA soundtracks was unaffected by this bug.

I had noted earlier in this thread that it was deemed fixed in the July 29th 2020 7500-8231-1182-2065 firmware update as advised by "jdsmoothie" here https://www.avsforum.com/threads/th...hip-avr-thread.2952552/page-363#post-60233068

"Turns out it actually is the case. The low voltage clipping issue when in Pre-Amplifier mode was resolved with a past firmware update per Denon."

Denon X8500H Pre-Amp Voltage Clipping Issue.png

Look to Denon Japan's website for model specific bug fixes as they are generally fairly reliable reporting what has changed but they unfortunately never made any reference to this important fix on the July 29th 2020 firmware update, https://www.denon.jp/ja-jp/support/AVC-X8500Hupdate

Last edited:

alcaloide

Hello, guys.
This is my first post here.
I was about to get a new Denon X8500HA when I faced this dilemma about the DAC chip... Even with Marantz 8015... Glad I searched for some information about them.
Do you know if this continues to be an issue or they have already come back to the AKM AK4458?
I can wait, no rush here. I own a Denon 4806CI that is running fine here. But I was thinking about getting ceiling speakers and all those new gimmicks from todays technologies.
Better wait for the next great one?

Thanks in advance for any light about this. I am a noobie here...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Do you know if this continues to be an issue or they have already come back to the AKM AK4458?
My understanding is that there will never be new AK4458's in the pipeline, and that AKM intends on replacing
them all with new updated models.
That said, there's no reason to be concerned with the DAC's Denon is using now.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello, guys.
This is my first post here.
I was about to get a new Denon X8500HA when I faced this dilemma about the DAC chip... Even with Marantz 8015... Glad I searched for some information about them.
I can wait, no rush here. I own a Denon 4806CI that is running fine here. But I was thinking about getting ceiling speakers and all those new gimmicks from todays technologies.
Better wait for the next great one?

Thanks in advance for any light about this. I am a noobie here...

The SR8015 had the AK4458 before the factory fire.

The AVR-X8500HA had the AK4490 before the fire. We don't know what it was replaced with but it would likely be the ES9010k2M, because that's what Marantz had done to the AV8805A.

bo_knows

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The SR8015 had the AK4458 before the factory fire.

The AVR-X8500HA had the AK4490 before the fire. We don't know what it was replaced with but it would likely be the ES9010k2M, because that's what Marantz had done to the AV8805A.
FYI...

I assume they have resumed the production of the "new" chips and it's now up to AVR manufacturers to use them again or not.

alcaloide

Thanks, guys. I think I will wait. And be more in the forum to get some more knowledge to make a more grounded decision in the future.

ericepp

Don’t use preout mode. To accomplish the same thing, in custom amp assign, set all of them to none. Amir found a problem in full preamp mode where it clips at around .6 which is clearly a problem. We need to wait to hear from Denon on this result but with the 8500 you can just use the custom amp assign for each channel you want to disconnect instead. Interesting question on if it can do 4volts and at what SINAD.
I noticed that the 8500 seems to be the only Sound United receiver that has a "custom" amp assign option. Is this fully customizable in that I can choose any speakers to be pre out or amplified? Does it do discreet amp disconnect as well? I know that with the newer models if you select pre out, it disconnects the amps completely, I'm just wondering if it disconnects on custom as well, and more importantly, just how customizable the "custom" option is. I appreciate whatever feedback you can give.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I noticed that the 8500 seems to be the only Sound United receiver that has a "custom" amp assign option. Is this fully customizable in that I can choose any speakers to be pre out or amplified? Does it do discreet amp disconnect as well? I know that with the newer models if you select pre out, it disconnects the amps completely, I'm just wondering if it disconnects on custom as well, and more importantly, just how customizable the "custom" option is. I appreciate whatever feedback you can give.

If you look at the schematics, it would appear that the disconnection is done the same way, that disconnects the power signal input to the pre out regardless of custom or preamp mode.

Top Bottom