• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X6700H Home Theater AVR Review

F1308

Major Contributor
Presumably because they want it to match or out perform the X4700 since it's their more expensive model.

I like the fact that not only are they trying to have units that measure better than their stated spec, but that they have been upfront about the cause and offered to swap any units affected.

If my unit is one of the ones affected then I'll be very happy to get the upgrade. Some other manufacturers might have just ignored the problem or expected consumers to take it up with the retailer. Which could be difficult if they're out of the 30 day returns window.

Glad it was not a car killing your son...
Performance is to be delivered as they receive your hard earn money, not after being catched....

Todd74

It's a bit of surprise that sr6014 isn't so bad when looking up to 1.4 Volts output and multitone test.

Obviously this one has got more power and a more linear response. But not sure if aged ears would realize unless feeding hungry speakers.
If you don’t need to listen at reference level volume, then maybe the 6014 even goes on the recommend list?

At a click below reference level it’s what, 96 SINAD, with a respectable 84 SINAD on the amp, and 123 wpc at 8 ohm, all of which actually surpass the 6700? Plus you still get 11 channels, fronts that can disconnect [which then holds peak SINAD at near reference level], Audyssey 32, Atmos Height Virtualization, IMAX Enhanced, and the Marantz “house sound” if you happen to enjoy it that way.

Also, when you change the unit’s setting to 4 ohm, it reduces the heat dramatically, going from virtual frying pan to lukewarm. How does that, in turn, affect performance??

Fillius

Forum Donor
I think you are being naive here. They are only offering to replace units because Amir caught them out. They are probably expecting the majority of owners dont read ASR and wont be requesting an upgrade.

What will you do anout the under-spec components in the video processing section of your new unit? Those are not tested.....they wont get caught there.....
I might be, that's true. But as @restorer-john mentioned, the most likely capacitor to cause such issues and be in short supply would be the large power supply ones.

Replacing just those with higher quality components could feasibly improve performance across the board couldn't it?

Would it be much different to servicing an old power amp?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Please could you tell me what the difference is between these two measurements?
Oops. Another typo. :) Right side should say full power. Will correct.

F1308

Major Contributor
What kind of a thing to say is this ?

I will try to make myself better understood...
I am glad it was just a music equipment with fake capacitors not giving expected results, not a car equipped with faulty fake brakes that took the live of your/my/her/his son/uncle/wife/husband..,,

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Excuse my ignorance, but what is the downmix issue?
If you play stereo but your source advertises itself (over HDMI) as being multi-channel as my PC does, Denon/Marantz AVRs assume all channels are active and will change the gain settings causing noise level to rise up substantially. And audio can clip at times. They are investigating a fix for this.

bigguyca

Power Amplifier Gain

The measured power amplifier gain is 26.2dB. Typically this units are closer to 28.5dB to 29dB, which means approximately 1V in for 100W out into 8 ohms. No idea if this is significant. It does mean that somewhat more voltage from the preamp section is required to drive the power amplifier section, but more gain is available for feedback.

The X6500H and X8500H appear to have a gain of 29dB based on the resistors in the feedback loop.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Power Amplifier Gain

The measured power amplifier gain is 26.2dB. Typically this units are closer to 28.5dB to 29dB, which means approximately 1V in for 100W out into 8 ohms. No idea if this is significant. It does mean that somewhat more voltage from the preamp section is required to drive the power amplifier section, but more gain is available for feedback.
Assuming you are talking about the power amp tests, I measured both ways, didn't make much difference so I opted to go with the lower gain which is with the volume at "reference." Figured this would avoid arguments. :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The X6500H and X8500H appear to have a gain of 29dB based on the resistors in the feedback loop.
To get the gain to be 29 dB, you have to use the volume of 82.5 which is what I do for DACs and people complain that this is beyond reference.

Hamburglar

Forum Donor
How far back in line is the x8500 sitting for testing? Would a crisp $10 bill help its placement in the queue?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
How far back in line is the x8500 sitting for testing? Would a crisp $10 bill help its placement in the queue?
Money always talks. :D But please, I am not that cheap! You are confusing me with @Thomas savage.

rxp

Amirm chap doing gods work once again.

We audio geeks are a neurotic bunch. Something we'd have no idea about with our ears/brains now will get addressed. This site is like rtings.com for AVRs and speakers.

Also, when you change the unit’s setting to 4 ohm, it reduces the heat dramatically, going from virtual frying pan to lukewarm. How does that, in turn, affect performance??

I never thought of doing that - honestly in the summer the AVR in my smaller office theater is just too damn hot. It raises the temp of the room 2-3 degrees after watching a movie. The HDR on the OLED doesn't help matters - it pumps out heat. My solution has been to just use my measured impulse responses in headphones (ala Smyth Realizer), no heat that way and HTPC is in another room. But the 4ohm idea might be a winner.

Amirm - can you comment on this? Would it suck too much power? Destroy SINAD etc.?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amirm - can you comment on this? Would it suck too much power? Destroy SINAD etc.?
4 ohm setting is there to pass UL safety test. You should not use it in real life because it reduces available power substantially. ECO mode is a better choice.

Reactions: rxp

rxp

Figured - already have been set to eco:auto - but I think the internal logic just disables auto based on master level. Even though I sit very close (1m) for 4k movie watching and my trims are all really in the negatives.

Class-D like your Pioneer would be ideal but they lack Audyssey or Dirac :(

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It is difficult. I know the people in the company and could ask for a sample. But I hate to do that should it turn out that it doesn't perform.
Try and ask, if they don't entertain then we will know for sure ;)

Castortroy3

@amirm it's about time! Just kidding. Thanks and even though I feel like the 3700h sounds fine I'm not optimistic.

Everyone's complaining about Denon but of I were them I would send a ton of competitors products to amir so what the internet could realize is that most products are not up to Amir's standards. Unfortunately they hit it out. Of the park with the 3600h and even amir said, it likely wasn't all that intentional. The design just worked. With all these products, ever addition tweak, change of supply has downstream effects. At the end of the day 99% of buyers have never even heard the word sinad.

Thanks For all the hard work Amir and for dealing with the all so grateful audiotrolls. Owe and btw, I have 30 more days on my 3700h return policy so take your time but not too long because D&M is going to have to figure out what went wrong.

Top Bottom