• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X6700H Home Theater AVR Review

F1308

Major Contributor
They blamed no one but themselves. Whether it's a capacitor, or a complete design flaw, they've been in communication, and have even remeasured gear to validate any findings. So, sure, I'd rather the manufacturer admit fault, rather than blame someone else, or claim the problem doesn't exist.

Not enough.
Immense damage already done.

Ucftechguru

Forum Donor
That is a bit extreme analogy.

This is more like you think you feel a bit more vibration in your engine and you have it checked out and the mechanic says, they have used Autolite spark plugs rather than the original NGK ones and the car manufacturer blames the supply chain shortage for the switch but that they feel the replacement was acceptable and offer to replace it IF you ask for it.

These supply chain disruptions happen all the time even without the pandemic. Benchmark amps were delayed because of the heat sink supply disruption but they delayed it rather than put something else that wasn't as efficient at cooling.

Here the Denon rushed it to market with a replacement component. They claim their Sound Master (!) deemed it acceptable. Have no idea if this was a ear test or a measurement test or just market BS.

However, I would neither skewer Denon nor put them on a pedestal just because of their response. So far it has been reactive to potential bad PR. How they take care of it after this has come out will determine their corporate culture.

If they are still shipping the same units and just lied about it being a short production run (and companies do this not infrequently), then that would be different from if they did have a batch problem, identified the serial numbers and soon we will see a public announcement from them on their web site stating which serial numbers are affected and asking owners to get in touch.

I hope the owner of this unit will allow or open it to take some pictures as @restorer-john suggested to compare later and with units that they deem is after that problem production run. Pat of holding them accountable - Trust but Verify. :)

I firmly believe testing a unit that they will ship out is not fair for any other AVR in the comparison chart. They could test it to ensure the best measurements as done here even if it varies from the production runs. We would never know.

Agree. Letting them ship a unit direct to Amir would potentially skew results. Other sites do this all the time but ASR holds to a higher standard and is beyond reproach unlike the other sites.

F1308

Major Contributor
I firmly believe testing a unit that they will ship out is not fair for any other AVR in the comparison chart. They could test it to ensure the best measurements as done here even if it varies from the production runs. We would never know.

I am not interested any more in your Denon measurements, thank you. Denon is a no deal.
And thanks so much for this never-ending story.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Agree. Letting them ship a unit direct to Amir would potentially skew results.
Well, there is still value in testing what they send so that we know what the upper performance would look like. And that the problem is fixed in that unit. In due time we can always sample another production one as these AVRs seem quite popular.

Vasr

Major Contributor
Agree. Letting them ship a unit direct to Amir would potentially skew results. Other sites do this all the time but ASR holds to a higher standard and is beyond reproach unlike the other sites.

Or Denon could do what one of the manufacturers here did recently, buy it from a regular high-volume retailer and have the retailer drop ship the sealed box to Amir (unlikely they could have a specific unit planted at the retailer to be shipped out). I think that would be acceptable.

Vasr

Major Contributor
Well, there is still value in testing what they send so that we know what the upper performance would look like. And that the problem is fixed in that unit. In due time we can always sample another production one as these AVRs seem quite popular.

That is a valid point but still you would not be able to recommend it (if it was better measuring) or put it in a comparison chart without compromising the standards and fairness. It is a slippery slope.

Why not ask them for it to be drop shipped from a retailer? It is a reasonable ask and losing access for doing so should not be a risk if they were doing this in good faith.

Fillius

Forum Donor
I wonder if the bad capacitor explains the 50Hz hum I can hear from my UK unit?

I'll definitely be contacting them after the 5th to see if my unit is affected.

Thanks @amirm for your tests and for continuing to feedback your results to D&M.

Please could you tell me what the difference is between these two measurements?
AVR-X6700H AVR Surround HDMI Dolby Atmos Amplifier CD Input SNR Measurement.png

I'm not sure if I'm missing something obvious. Is the left graph supposed to read '@1 Watt', or possibly the right one is from a different model as a comparison?

Edit: looking at the X4700 review I think I have my answer, the right one should be 'Full Power' rather than '5 Watts'?

Last edited:

Hamburglar

Forum Donor
This review was a bit deflating. I have been trying to decide between this model and the x8500h, and the response from Sound United clouds this decision even more. Should I be concerned about compromised parts if I purchase a new 8500 in the next few weeks, or is it unlikely that that model would have been manufactured this year? I would have been happier if they would have just confirmed the results and said it is what it is.

F1308

Major Contributor
This review was a bit deflating. I have been trying to decide between this model and the x8500h, and the response from Sound United clouds this decision even more. Should I be concerned about compromised parts if I purchase a new 8500 in the next few weeks, or is it unlikely that that model would have been manufactured this year? I would have been happier if they would have just confirmed the results and said it is what it is.

I see...
Are you still going to the same restaurant after catching the waiter spitting in the soup...?

F1308

Major Contributor
I wonder if the bad capacitor explains the 50Hz hum I can hear from my UK unit?

I'll definitely be contacting them after the 5th to see if my unit is affected.

Thanks @amirm for your tests and for continuing to feedback your results to D&M.

Please could you tell me what the difference is between these two measurements?
View attachment 75047

I'm not sure if I'm missing something obvious. Is the left graph supposed to read '@1 Watt', or possibly the right one is from a different model as a comparison?

Edit: looking at the X4700 review I think I have my answer, the right one should be 'Full Power' rather than '5 Watts'?

Mmmmm... Guessing the one on the right is at maximum power.... like the attached file...But wait for Amir...

Attachments

• Denon AVR-X4700H 8K Home Theater Receiver AVR Dolby Atmos Surround CD Analog In Amplifier SNR ...png
    Denon AVR-X4700H 8K Home Theater Receiver AVR Dolby Atmos Surround CD Analog In Amplifier SNR ...png
    19.9 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

Dogen

Forum Donor
I’ll join others in applauding Denon’s willingness to work openly with ASR to address issues. It makes me think highly of Denon, and more likely to consider their products in the future. Hats off to ASR for bringing more transparency to the performance of AVRs, which has not gotten enough attention by manufacturers or the press.

Fillius

Forum Donor
I see...
Are you still going to the same restaurant after catching the waiter spitting in the soup...?
Many companies have been put in an unprecedented situation due to the global pandemic. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that they did the best they could with what was available to meet the expectations of consumers.

You could always contact your dealer to see if their stock has a manufacture date on it. Anything from last year would hopefully be ok. Assuming the reason the capacitor change was genuinely due to supply rather than cost cutting etc.

Putter

Forum Donor
I am not interested any more in your Denon measurements, thank you. Denon is a no deal.
And thanks so much for this never-ending story.

Not enough.
Immense damage already done.

Good for you, but It seems the lady doth protest too much. I go by will most consumers actually be affected by this problem? It's not like Onkyo with bad caps that eventually rendered their AV receivers useless notwithstanding that they did eventually step up. Apparently the Denon met all published specs.

Denon has one the best room correction systems. I know that Anthem and Dirac get slightly better reviews, but are typically more expensive. I've always considered it kind of ridiculous to expect these small boxes to adequately power 7/9/11/13 channels. They're at best adequate for 5 channels. That's what preamp outs are for along with a good power amp. Amir's panther kept his head which means he considered it an acceptable product and AFAICT it's a consumer product that meets the needs of most people who buy it.

F1308

Major Contributor
I’ll join others in applauding Denon’s willingness to work openly with ASR to address issues. It makes me think highly of Denon, and more likely to consider their products in the future. Hats off to ASR for bringing more transparency to the performance of AVRs, which has not gotten enough attention by manufacturers or the press.

NOT AGREEING ON DENON.
On the contrary, about ASR...look...Everyone knows. Great work, although not appreciated by some.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/hoisted-your-own-petard

F1308

Major Contributor
They did the best they could with what was available to meet the expectations of consumers.

Did they?
Why are they changing those pieces and sending the UPGRADED unit for ASR to measure ?

Cool to see the results with 5 channels driven. Test it with all 11 channels driven next :eek::D

Last edited:

F1308

Major Contributor
Many companies have been put in an unprecedented situation due to the global pandemic. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that they did the best they could with what was available to meet the expectations of consumers.

And that is the reason for the waiter to spit in the soup that ASR enjoyed...?

Fillius

Forum Donor
Did they?
Why are they changing those pieces and sending the UPGRADED unit for ASR to measure ?
Presumably because they want it to match or out perform the X4700 since it's their more expensive model.

I like the fact that not only are they trying to have units that measure better than their stated spec, but that they have been upfront about the cause and offered to swap any units affected.

If my unit is one of the ones affected then I'll be very happy to get the upgrade. Some other manufacturers might have just ignored the problem or expected consumers to take it up with the retailer. Which could be difficult if they're out of the 30 day returns window.

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Presumably because they want it to match or out perform the X4700 since it's their more expensive model.

I like the fact that not only are they trying to have units that measure better than their stated spec, but that they have been upfront about the cause and offered to swap any units affected.

If my unit is one of the ones affected then I'll be very happy to get the upgrade. Some other manufacturers might have just ignored the problem or expected consumers to take it up with the retailer. Which could be difficult if they're out of the 30 day returns window.

I think you are being naive here. They are only offering to replace units because Amir caught them out. They are probably expecting the majority of owners dont read ASR and wont be requesting an upgrade.

What will you do anout the under-spec components in the video processing section of your new unit? Those are not tested.....they wont get caught there.....

Top Bottom