• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X6700H AVR Review (Updated)

Corock

Ordered a 6700 today with a shipping date of late Nov/early Dec so I'm hoping that will provide me with a unit from new stock.

Last edited:

truwarrior22

Ordered a 6700 today with a shipping date of late Nov/early Dec so I'm hoping that will provide me with a unit from new stock.
Why so long? Not in the USA? ABT.com has them in stock. I'm leaning towards the SR8015, but would like to listen to a X6700 before spending much more..

Corock

Why so long? Not in the USA? ABT.com has them in stock. I'm leaning towards the SR8015, but would like to listen to a X6700 before spending much more..

It was from Amazon.ca at a 33% discount on Prime Days. The arrival date has been moved up to Oct 28th, but I'm still kind of expecting them to cancel the order and say the price was a mistake.

I currently have an AV7005 and I'm hoping to do a side-by-side listening comparison between the Marantz, the Denon using internal amps, and the Denon with internal amps off.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It was from Amazon.ca at a 33% discount on Prime Days. The arrival date has been moved up to Oct 28th, but I'm still kind of expecting them to cancel the order and say the price was a mistake.

I currently have an AV7005 and I'm hoping to do a side-by-side listening comparison between the Marantz, the Denon using internal amps, and the Denon with internal amps off.

I had the AV7005 too two upgrades ago. If you like it now, I am sure you will like the X6700H much more.

truwarrior22

Cool, looking forward towards your comparison. I'm sure they still make $ on it lol Maybe if it's 75% off lol

da Choge

Forum Donor
Just got an email earlier yesterday from Denon about their new www.Denon.com website. Went to it, and, if you click on either the entries for the AVR-X6700H or the AVR-A110, it states they [Denon] are "Out of Stock". And, the AVR-X8500H is not even listed as an offering. Don't know exactly what that all means, but I'm guessing those who want to get their hands on a Limited Edition AVR-A110, might need to look into it very soon. The AVR-A110 may be available from other online or brick-store suppliers, but this may be an indication that it is in high-demand and its issuing may run out soon? - I don't know.
I have really wanted the new AVR-A110, but I am not in a position right now to get it. As far as the other Denon models [AVR-X6700H and AVR-8500H(A)], I don't know exactly what the Denon website is telling us, so soon after their 2020/2021 releases? -- maybe that all their current stock is already committed out to other suppliers/retailers?

DN16

I came across your message and created an account just to respond. I also bought it on Amazon.ca, the price I got it for was $2,395 CAD ($3,500 CAD MSRP in Canada). I was originally planning to get the AVR-X4700, but saw this deal, which is an absolute steal for a new model . Like you, I also got a late November delivery date estimate and just assumed that they would cancel my order. To my delight, it arrived two days ago on Oct 22. I still believe the price was a mistake.

Corock

I came across your message and created an account just to respond. I also bought it on Amazon.ca, the price I got it for was $2,395 CAD ($3,500 CAD MSRP in Canada). I was originally planning to get the AVR-X4700, but saw this deal, which is an absolute steal for a new model . Like you, I also got a late November delivery date estimate and just assumed that they would cancel my order. To my delight, it arrived two days ago on Oct 22. I still believe the price was a mistake.

Well that’s good news; I appreciate you letting me know how it went for you. I too was looking for a 4700 and searched Amazon when Prime Days started just in case, and this 6700 popped up for $2383 so I immediately jumped on it. It’s showing delivery this Weds, but it hasn’t shipped yet and they haven’t charged my credit card yet, so I have my fingers crossed. I’m checking the order status several times a day just to see if it ships, lol.

DN16

Well that’s good news; I appreciate you letting me know how it went for you. I too was looking for a 4700 and searched Amazon when Prime Days started just in case, and this 6700 popped up for $2383 so I immediately jumped on it. It’s showing delivery this Weds, but it hasn’t shipped yet and they haven’t charged my credit card yet, so I have my fingers crossed. I’m checking the order status several times a day just to see if it ships, lol.

I was also OCD checking multiple times a day on the order thinking it would get cancelled at any point, lol. It looks like I ordered mine two days before yours on Oct 11. At the time, the product page was in the "Temporarily out of stock" status where Amazon lets you backorder so I pulled the trigger, but was skeptical it would get fulfilled. A few days later, it went from "Temporarily out of stock" status to "Currently unavailable" so I assumed they caught the error and my order would get cancelled at any moment. Then a few days later, I get an email saying it would be shipped by next week. It ended up getting shipped from their US warehouse on Oct 19.

As of the time of this posting on Amazon.ca, it's gone back to the "temporarily out of stock" and can be backordered for $2,351.34CAD. Any Canadians who want an amazing deal, go and submit a backorder now (ships and sold by Amazon.ca)! I still don't know how this price isn't a mistake. Usually when they have a sale, especially one this good, they list the original price along with the sale price, but they're not even doing that here.

Cloudreader

Forum Donor
I heard the street price for X6700 in Seattle & Portland is $1500 and some instances it's cheaper, just wondering if it comes with manufacture's warranty?.
How do I find sellers at this street price in Seattle are? Apologies if this is not the right place to ask. Tnanks.

alashikata

How do I find sellers at this street price in Seattle are? Apologies if this is not the right place to ask. Tnanks.

lol sound like a dealer/employee price. I used to have a friend working at Sony, He got 40% off all the time except the camera. Still need to pay tax anyway

Archaea

MuseIcal

Thanks for this review @amirm.

I have had my 'Demon' AVR — X6500 since late 2018 and love it.

Plenty of power and does not run hot. It will get warm, but never hot. Stable to 4ohms.
More features than I could ever use but it's nice to have them there when I figure out how to use them...

This new model looks like a great move forward for Denon.

Corock

This is disappointing...
2020 AVRs from Denon and Yamaha cannot process Xbox Series X 4K 120Hz HDR VRR over their 2.1 ports and its apparently a hardware issue that cannot be resolved by software/firmware...
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnar...v-receivers-reportedly-hit-by-major-hdmi-bug/

Technology companies baffle me when they create stuff on paper, develop product, and market said product without even testing to see if what they put together actually works.

Cloudreader

Forum Donor
lol sound like a dealer/employee price. I used to have a friend working at Sony, He got 40% off all the time except the camera. Still need to pay tax anyway
Denon website listed only big box retail stores BestBuy, Magnolia etc. and few Home Theater installers as authorized dealers in this area, hence the question. I was asking more to find some discount not necessarily deep discounts like Obiden posted.
I did call a local B&M store VideoOnly and got an great deal and put my order in. Can wait for it to come in and setup everything. (They said its could take up to 5 weeks for it to arrive due to backorder)
Thanks amirm and ASR for the great review and measurements on these receivers.

SSREAPER

Hello all, I am new to the forum and this is my first post. Next month I turn 50. I have been planning for it for well 50 years...lol My wife tells me I am going thru a midlife crisis....aren't we all in one way or another. I told her for my 50th I wanted an 85" TV with full 11.1 surround sound. She immediately said "hell no we dont need that noise!" I told her ok...it was either that or a 2021 Corvette Stingray which would automatically come with a new girlfriend because hey...its a corvette...lol She looked at me and I could see her thinking hard about it and stated...."what brand tv" LMAO.

SO I look at TV's and picked a Sony 950h model in 85 inches(their flagship model)....only to find out after delivery that it does not and cannot support HDMI 2.1...4k @120hz had to send it back. SO now I have to look for a different tv. I had also chosen the Denon X6700H....only to find out about the faulty caps and now to find out that it too does not support HDMI 2.1 4k@ 120HZ....so back it goes. I have never had such a problem buying products in my life. I guess communication amongst developers and actually testing products has gone extinct along side common sense and integrity. At this rate ill be 60 before I get this figured out!!

So now on to my questions that I desperately need all of your help with..... What color corvette !!

Grandzoltar

Forum Donor
I think the x6700 is supposed to have 2.1 capabilities but from what I've herd there is some kind of bug

SSREAPER

Why do you need 120Hz are you going to hook it up to console/computer and play games? For TV+ Movies it is perfectly all right.

Hello @Cloudreader .... yes Im a 50 year old gamer. I have the PS original, Ps2, PS3, PS4 and will soon have the PS5. I have a custom built computer that I game on as well. I am a Movieaholic too! So for me yes the 4K@120Hz is a big deal. I know and resepct that not everybody else will feel the same. SOme are just movie people...some are heavy music and not so much for the video and I respect that as well. Everybody should get to have the best experience for what they are looking for. It is just very discouraging that I have been saving my duckies for quite a while for this (only turn 50 once) and it seems that this is a bad time right now for new tech that seems to be full of problems. My AV guy tells me to wait and lets see how all of it pans out. See how the issues get fixed....I guess I have waited this long, if I want to have a great experience in all the aspects that I am looking for then I guess I will just have to wait a bit longer. :(

KC-Narnia

Thanks for this review @amirm.

I have had my 'Demon' AVR — X6500 since late 2018 and love it.

Plenty of power and does not run hot. It will get warm, but never hot. Stable to 4ohms.
More features than I could ever use but it's nice to have them there when I figure out how to use them...

This new model looks like a great move forward for Denon.

I also have a Denon AVR-X6500H (I have it in my bedroom and use it for TV watching, streaming and blu-ray movies - bi-amping my B&W 706 S2) and I am very happy with it. I would have liked one more for the office, but unfortunately it went off the market before I got around to order one.
I borrowed a Denon AVC-X6700H (and I checked the serialnumber) from my HIFI dealer and tested it for a weekend. I am also very happy with the new model. It's a bit overkill for an office and it will mostly be used for music (and bi-amping my B&W CM5). I will receive it on Friday.

I have the Denon AVC-X8500H in my living room and it's in a league of its own (also bi-amping my B&W CM6 S2). I use it for movies, streaming and music.

Sorry I got a bit carried away...

/KC

Top Bottom