• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X6700H AVR Review (Updated)

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi everyone,

I have decided to build a 5.1.2 home cinema based on the Dali Rubicon 6 speakers (and Rubicon center). I was going to put an order for the Marantz SR7015 but after reading all reviews here, I am considering buying the Denon X6700 instead. I will use the system mainly for movies and maybe 20-30% of the time for music. I would really appreciate your advice in helping me choose between the SR7015 and X6700 (I found a good offer on the X6700 which is close to the SR7015 price and SR8015 is out of my budget for AVR).

thanks!

For use as a preamp/processor, based on the measurements it should be an easy decision. The Denon measured much better. If you are going to use it as an AVR without external amplifiers then I would say either one is good and you can just go with features and price.

ddlog

For use as a preamp/processor, based on the measurements it should be an easy decision. The Denon measured much better. If you are going to use it as an AVR without external amplifiers then I would say either one is good and you can just go with features and price.

Thank you! I plan to use it as AVR as my understanding is pretty basic currently but is possible to upgrade in the future and then use it as preamp. What is the thinking regarding music? Few people mentioned that Marantz is more “musical”.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you! I plan to use it as AVR as my understanding is pretty basic currently but is possible to upgrade in the future and then use it as preamp. What is the thinking regarding music? Few people mentioned that Marantz is more “musical”.

Yep, I have had both brands in my HT systems before, and to me there is no way one can tell them apart in a DBT. I believe those people, seem to me more than a few by the way, simply expressed their subjective views based on their sighted comparison listening tests; and I bet they all have gotten the "more musical" thing in their head prior, so quite possibly biased by hearsay, enough to hear the what they expected to hear. To me such claims are just claims, not proven or even provable facts, that is, anecdotal at best. Put it this way, some even claimed they heard night and day difference, so go figure..:D And don't forget that, in direct mode using analog inputs, the difference between the two brands is simply that Marantz had the HDAM buffer stage. That stage is at the end of the preamp signal chain, so the slew rate/current feedback advantage they claimed, while could be true in theory, the realizable effects would not be logically possible because the best possible slew rate would have been fixed/limited by the stage/devices upstream. It could or might improve on output impedance among other things, but we have not seen any evidence so far in the ASR measurement results.

pedrob

Hi everyone,

I have decided to build a 5.1.2 home cinema based on the Dali Rubicon 6 speakers (and Rubicon center). I was going to put an order for the Marantz SR7015 but after reading all reviews here, I am considering buying the Denon X6700 instead. I will use the system mainly for movies and maybe 20-30% of the time for music. I would really appreciate your advice in helping me choose between the SR7015 and X6700 (I found a good offer on the X6700 which is close to the SR7015 price and SR8015 is out of my budget for AVR).

thanks!

I'm happy to share some thoughts. Denon tends to get better reviews here, so no worries there. Are you likely to add more channels in the future? The reason I ask is the Denon 4700 could be all you need and is recommended, while the 6700 gets a quizzical pink panther. Here are some useful links:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/Audio_Equipment_Reviews/

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/denon-avr-x4700-avr-review-updated.14493/

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...non-avr-x6700h-home-theater-avr-review.14902/

I have DALI speakers with two BOWERS & WILKINS DB4S subwoofers. They aren't massive like some brands being only 360w x 368d x 377h with a 250mm driver. At -3dB the response is 10Hz - 350Hz and at -6bd 8.5Hz - 500Hz. Absolutely perfect for movies with sub-audible effects. I also like they have 1000W Class D Hypex amplifiers.

A couple of notes: The DALI cabinets and drivers are excellent, but I upgraded the crossovers with better quality components and replaced the very basic wadding with Angel Hair, 8g/L. I love the sound* of the Hypex amps in the subwoofers and now all my channels are powered by Hypex NC400 amps with individual power supplies.

Very much like yours, mine is 5.2.4 having Atmos speakers on the surround channels as well as the front. I like to list my system with the subwoofers as 2 even though some demand it should be 1 because it is only one channel, even if the are two subwoofers with separate Audyssey correction. A mute point and the 2 is more descriptive.

My only other thought is don't be fooled into believing you need to buy the generally inferior Atmos named speakers. Anything is suitable and most likely superior, plus they have a flat response instead of the Dolby specification, so try and stick with the Dali Rubicon series for consistency.

B&W has it's own correction which is done though a smartphone app. I recommend you also get the smartphone Audyssey app as it gives you the ability to remove the annoying default dip around 2kHz and edit the curves.

One final comment. All my speakers are on IsoAcoustics Stands and the subs have SVS isolation feet.

* What am I saying? The amps have absolutely no sound and all you hear is what is imputed.

ddlog

Thank you, this is very helpful
I doubt I am going to need 11 channels anytime soon. My main concern on going with the x6700 instead of the x4700 is the power. I am planning to use the Denon as AVR without an additional amp and thought the extra power of the x6700 might help drive better the Dalis. Do you think the x4700 will have the same effect?
Also I thought the issue with the capacitors of X6700 is now solved so if I order now I should get the model with the "good" capacitors. Or is this not the case? Have anyone ordered an x6700 recently?

Final question, do you think I should rather go with a cheaper Dali (e.g. Oberon (was really impressed with the 7s) or Opticon) instead of Rubicon since I will have the AVR for music too so quality wise is not the best option anyway and might be a waste of money going for Rubicons

pedrob

I'm happy to share my experiences.

Here's an excellent site for comparing specifications. This link is for 6700 vs 3700 and it's easy to change models.

https://www.zkelectronics.com/compa...x6700h)/usa/denon-avr-x3700h(avc-x3700h)/usa/

The relatively small increase in watts isn't really going to make much difference as doubling the power is 3dB. Having said that, it's always better to have some decent headroom so the peaks never start over driving the amps.

You might be surprised to learn I have a Denon AVR-X4300H, although I am currently only using it as preamp/surround processor. (Before upgrading to external amplifiers I was happily using it as a full receiver with the DALIs.) My speakers are: Fronts - Zensor 5 & Zensor Vokal; Surrounds and Atmos/Height - Zensor 1.

ririt

Thank you, this is very helpful
I doubt I am going to need 11 channels anytime soon. My main concern on going with the x6700 instead of the x4700 is the power. I am planning to use the Denon as AVR without an additional amp and thought the extra power of the x6700 might help drive better the Dalis. Do you think the x4700 will have the same effect?
Also I thought the issue with the capacitors of X6700 is now solved so if I order now I should get the model with the "good" capacitors. Or is this not the case? Have anyone ordered an x6700 recently?

Final question, do you think I should rather go with a cheaper Dali (e.g. Oberon (was really impressed with the 7s) or Opticon) instead of Rubicon since I will have the AVR for music too so quality wise is not the best option anyway and might be a waste of money going for Rubicons
Regarding Dali speakers, I cannot comment about the Oberon. But having compared the Opticon with the Rubicon lines, I ended to get the Rubicon (LCR in my case) because of a better sound quality and a much better finish ( which was important since my system is located in my living room)

ddlog

@amirm

I scrolled right past the serial # you posted from your re-test review. Tkx

EDIT: this is the serial number of the tested unit: DBCY032000007

My two systems of which one has been return / refund

1) DBCY042000201
2) DBCY062000758

---

Denon email 8/17

Yes, serial # DBCY062000758 falls within the range where the substitute capacitors were used. Ask your dealer if he has any units that end higher than 860 as the last 3 digits in the serial #. That was the serial # cutoff where the original caps were again used.

For those of you that have the affected units, use this as a base line above 860 serial # for future replacements.

Hi Everyone,
I am still not 100% sure which serial numbers are affected with the lower quality capacitors
I have contacted a dealer that has an X6700 on stock and the Serial number is: "092001091" . Would this be one of the affected receivers?
I would appreciate your help

ddlog

Regarding Dali speakers, I cannot comment about the Oberon. But having compared the Opticon with the Rubicon lines, I ended to get the Rubicon (LCR in my case) because of a better sound quality and a much better finish ( which was important since my system is located in my living room)
I was also not very impressed when I heard the Opticon. My feeling was that the Oberon sounded better than the Opticon. I agree Rubicon is another category though but wonder whether is makes sense to drive the Rubicons with an AVR...

Urgo

Forum Donor
Hi Everyone,
I am still not 100% sure which serial numbers are affected with the lower quality capacitors
I have contacted a dealer that has an X6700 on stock and the Serial number is: "092001091" . Would this be one of the affected receivers?
I would appreciate your help

You have it on previous pages of this thread.
Apparently only affects serial numbers with final 3 digits.
In an email, Denon communicated the number 860 as a production limit with the affected capacitors, I think it refers to EEUU.

Excuse the translation

ririt

I was also not very impressed when I heard the Opticon. My feeling was that the Oberon sounded better than the Opticon. I agree Rubicon is another category though but wonder whether is makes sense to drive the Rubicons with an AVR...
I would say that the best speaker you can afford, well powered by the appropriate power amps can be the winning ticket for a good sound quality. Since the amps of the Denon AVR showed good performances when measured by Amir, a combo Dali Rubicon + Denon AVR should deliver a good sound quality.

ddlog

You have it on previous pages of this thread.
Apparently only affects serial numbers with final 3 digits.
In an email, Denon communicated the number 860 as a production limit with the affected capacitors, I think it refers to EEUU.

Excuse the translation
In the previous page it was mentioned :”Ask your dealer if he has any units that end higher than 860 as the last 3 digits in the serial #” It’s not very clear to me (I am not a native speaker) what they mean by that.

Urgo

Forum Donor
In the previous page it was mentioned :”Ask your dealer if he has any units that end higher than 860 as the last 3 digits in the serial #” It’s not very clear to me (I am not a native speaker) what they mean by that.

I'm sorry, let's see if I can explain myself better and that the translator doesn't betray me.

A serial number consists of 4 letters followed by 9 numbers. The letters and the first 3 numbers correspond to area / model codes ... The serial number of each model itself is the last 6 digits.

For example, the one tested in ASR was the DBCY032000007, (seventh unit of the model for that area or country).

According to Denon's mail, if your number is greater than 000860 it would not be affected.

Another way to verify this is by asking the Denon website for its specific number.

The explanation for "more than three final digits" is that to generalize it was said that any number with more than three final digits would not be affected with certainty (ie above 000999).

Urgo

Forum Donor
That is very helpful, thanks!

Please understand that these data are for units sold in the United States.

Although it is expected that in Europe the number of units affected will be lower, if you have any doubts you will have no choice but to ask Denon if your specific number would be affected.

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Is the 6700 similar to 6300 (few years old)?
Good question. I'd also like to know how the 6500 fits in there. I don't need 11 channels, since I only run a 5.0 system right now, but I do like the measured performance of these newer Denons. I'd like to upgrade my AVR-X5200, but not sure which to choose. A 3600, 3700, 4500, or 4700 would seem to be an upgrade on SINAD. I do power my center and surround channels with the AVR, so I would like to not go down in output power from my 5200.

Urgo

Forum Donor
Good question. I'd also like to know how the 6500 fits in there. I don't need 11 channels, since I only run a 5.0 system right now, but I do like the measured performance of these newer Denons. I'd like to upgrade my AVR-X5200, but not sure which to choose. A 3600, 3700, 4500, or 4700 would seem to be an upgrade on SINAD. I do power my center and surround channels with the AVR, so I would like to not go down in output power from my 5200.

On pages like this, they can study the differences in features and functions between different current and previous models.
They only have to change the models they want to compare in "Change receiver 1 or 2"

Denon AVR-X6700H vs Denon AVR-X5200W Detailed Comparison (zkelectronics.com)

If your room is not very large, or not very far from your L / R fronts, or the speakers are not very low impedance, for your 5.1 system you would not need a Denon 6 series, you would save good money with the series 4, or even series 3.

Urgo

Forum Donor
I have seen your specifications, with 4 Oh speakers, but sensitive. It all depends on the size of your room and distance to the listening point, as well as the new features you want in the receiver.
If your room is not very large, with the internal amplification, the extra power of the 6700 will be hardly noticeable, unless in the future you want to expand your channels with similar speakers. Heat may build up in your receiver.

Regarding the characteristics of the 2020 models, there is a problem with HDMI 2.1 pending to be resolved. You won't be able to use 8k, nor 4k at 120Hz, and the solution will probably go through a hardware upgrade.
The 6700 build is probably better, but the feature differences between the 6700 and 4700 are minimal, except for the DTS-XPro implementation.
If you do decide on a Denon AVC6700, make sure the last digits of your serial number are greater than 860.

To know differences with models from other years, it is better to use the page specified above.

Last edited:

ddlog

Please understand that these data are for units sold in the United States.

Although it is expected that in Europe the number of units affected will be lower, if you have any doubts you will have no choice but to ask Denon if your specific number would be affected.
I wrote to Denon and I was told that they are not aware of any issues with the capacitors in earlier x6700 models. Very strange

pedrob

I wrote to Denon and I was told that they are not aware of any issues with the capacitors in earlier x6700 models. Very strange
It is but I've got to admit I'm not surprised.

Whenever, I've asked a question I get what is best described as a low level unformed response.

Perhaps there a layer of insulation and you need to find a way to talk to someone more senior.

Rather unsatisfactory, but what is one to do?

Top Bottom