• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X6700H AVR Review (Updated)

Corock

Hello @Cloudreader .... yes Im a 50 year old gamer. I have the PS original, Ps2, PS3, PS4 and will soon have the PS5. I have a custom built computer that I game on as well. I am a Movieaholic too! So for me yes the 4K@120Hz is a big deal. I know and resepct that not everybody else will feel the same. SOme are just movie people...some are heavy music and not so much for the video and I respect that as well. Everybody should get to have the best experience for what they are looking for. It is just very discouraging that I have been saving my duckies for quite a while for this (only turn 50 once) and it seems that this is a bad time right now for new tech that seems to be full of problems. My AV guy tells me to wait and lets see how all of it pans out. See how the issues get fixed....I guess I have waited this long, if I want to have a great experience in all the aspects that I am looking for then I guess I will just have to wait a bit longer. :(

I thought the 120Hz issue was just with Xbox s X, and that it worked with the PS5? I can understand wanting to wait until there is more real world experience regardless. Myself, I'll be using the PS5 and Xbox s X with my 6700, but I use a projector so the 120Hz isn't a feature I'll be able to take advantage of anyway.

SSREAPER

I thought the 120Hz issue was just with Xbox s X, and that it worked with the PS5? I can understand wanting to wait until there is more real world experience regardless. Myself, I'll be using the PS5 and Xbox s X with my 6700, but I use a projector so the 120Hz isn't a feature I'll be able to take advantage of anyway.

I heard that too about it "supposedly" not being an issue with ps5 but nobody can confirm it. Between the capacitor problems and the possible 2.1 chip failure.... I figured I had better just sit this round out before putting 12,000 dollars into a complete A/V system...(tv, receiver, speakers, PS5 console) and having nothing but problems that I have to either find work arounds or try to enjoy at less than the best performance. Of course when I explained all of this to my wife she made sure I understood there still would be no corvette:mad:

Cloudreader

Forum Donor
Hello @Cloudreader .... yes Im a 50 year old gamer. I have the PS original, Ps2, PS3, PS4 and will soon have the PS5. I have a custom built computer that I game on as well. I am a Movieaholic too! So for me yes the 4K@120Hz is a big deal. I know and resepct that not everybody else will feel the same. SOme are just movie people...some are heavy music and not so much for the video and I respect that as well. Everybody should get to have the best experience for what they are looking for. It is just very discouraging that I have been saving my duckies for quite a while for this (only turn 50 once) and it seems that this is a bad time right now for new tech that seems to be full of problems. My AV guy tells me to wait and lets see how all of it pans out. See how the issues get fixed....I guess I have waited this long, if I want to have a great experience in all the aspects that I am looking for then I guess I will just have to wait a bit longer. :(
SSREAPER, I am too a gamer but only play in PC. I did not think you would game in your 85" and so the question. Yes, it should be gorgeous to play in your 85". Wait for next year, Sony's 2021 lineup will have HDMI 2.1 and hopefully Denon will fix this Panasonic chip issue in the next 6 months.

KC-Narnia

The latest addition to my Denon family arrived yesterday. It has the following serial number: Denon AVC-X6700H - DBCZ092001484.

alashikata

Denon website listed only big box retail stores BestBuy, Magnolia etc. and few Home Theater installers as authorized dealers in this area, hence the question. I was asking more to find some discount not necessarily deep discounts like Obiden posted.
I did call a local B&M store VideoOnly and got an great deal and put my order in. Can wait for it to come in and setup everything. (They said its could take up to 5 weeks for it to arrive due to backorder)
Thanks amirm and ASR for the great review and measurements on these receivers.

Did you get good discount 20-30%? I check my local authorized dealer, they said back order and take around 5 weeks.

Corock

I got my X6700H set up next to my Marantz AV7005 and ran both with my Emotiva XPA 2 & 3 amps. The Marantz definitely has more bottom end which may be a result of the MultiEq XT32 flattening the subs more than the XT version of Audyssey in the 7005. For music I prefer the sound of the Marantz over the Denon. I find the Denon sounds brighter; which isn't my preference for music. The Marantz sounds to have more calibration; I think the Denon is closer to the Direct mode in the Marantz. If that's the effect of the HDAM then it caters to my taste.
It's all good though because the Denon 6700 is going into my home theater and I purchased it primarily for Atmos and 4K. That will allow me to use the Marantz for my living room stereo, which is primarily music, replacing a Denon AVR-4308CI.
When I get a chance I'm also going to check out the difference between using the Emotivas vs the 6700's internal amps just to see how much difference there is. My plan is to us the Emotivas for the 5 mains and the internal amps for the Atmos ceiling speakers once I install them.

Archaea

I got my X6700H set up next to my Marantz AV7005 and ran both with my Emotiva XPA 2 & 3 amps. The Marantz definitely has more bottom end which may be a result of the MultiEq XT32 flattening the subs more than the XT version of Audyssey in the 7005. For music I prefer the sound of the Marantz over the Denon. I find the Denon sounds brighter; which isn't my preference for music. The Marantz sounds to have more calibration; I think the Denon is closer to the Direct mode in the Marantz. If that's the effect of the HDAM then it caters to my taste.
It's all good though because the Denon 6700 is going into my home theater and I purchased it primarily for Atmos and 4K. That will allow me to use the Marantz for my living room stereo, which is primarily music, replacing a Denon AVR-4308CI.
When I get a chance I'm also going to check out the difference between using the Emotivas vs the 6700's internal amps just to see how much difference there is. My plan is to us the Emotivas for the 5 mains and the internal amps for the Atmos ceiling speakers once I install them.

Your next HiFi purchase should be a calibrated microphone. It’ll help you navigate and understand the differences you hear. And since you like to tinker and audition things to hear differences it’s a logical step. I recommend the Omnimic. It’s what I use and if my whole theater burnt down, and I had to restart it’s the very first thing I’d buy. It helped me learn so much about the hobby. Armed with this experimentation myself, I challenge you to a small experiment to see how different your Denon and Marantz sound in the meantime.

Use the same single Audyssey mic to recalibrate both Marantz and Denon (with the same exact mic positions) and report back. Your bass will sound the same. Anything else is most likely placebo (or different settings - (IE unintentional setting differences in tone, channels trims, restorer, or dynamic EQ controls, cinema mode on one - but not the other, etc)

The Audyssey mics have a states allowed tolerance of +-2.5dB. That’s a five dB swing within allowed spec. Unacceptable, (but a mass manufacturing necessity/causality to fit the given price points) and almost certainly accounts for the bass difference you are hearing. I know it did for me between my AVRs.

Link here to reference:
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/a-brief-comparison-between-two-audyssey-multi-eq-xt32-mics.1764065/

Next thing... The Emotiva amps will sound identical to the Denon internal AVR amps in a controlled blind test, of which my local enthusiast friends and I have done three times now. If they don’t sound identical when level matched and played within their means on typical loudspeakers (then one of the two is broken). The only human audible difference in amplifier sound, to my experimentation and about 15 other enthusiasts we’ve tested so far) is when one amp is played beyond its means (too loud to the point of source or output clipping, or paired with speakers that are exceptionally low impedance, or if an amplifier intentionally “colors” the sound - think tube amp ). A calibrated omnimic will help in these experiments too. We compared a $800 Emotiva stereo amplifier to the internal amp on a Pioneer Elite AVR, and several other amplifiers (Behringer EP4000, Crown XLS 202, Behringer iNuke 3000 DSP, and even a Lepai T-amp and when level matched and played within their means on typical speakers at normal living room listening volumes - all amps we’ve tested so far sounded identical and differences could not be detected in a fast switching A/B/C/D blind test. To put a point in this test the Emotiva owner sold his Emotiva amps after particpating in that first blind test and went back to just using his AVR. He had very sensitive Klipsch pro audio cinema speakers and did not need the power (for his intended listening levels) and after we verified he couldn’t tell the difference in sound quality at those listening levels - he put some money back in his pocket.

These amps do show quality differences on the test bench, but that quality difference seems to have surpassed what our human hears could detect in a typical real world use situation.

We have not had the chance to blind test a Marantz AVR yet, to see how HDAM affects blind testing. I’m interested in doing so. In our most recent test we did use a Marantz 8805 prepro as the source with it’s HDAM module, but since it was the source whatever difference it makes was applied to all amps downstream.

link here: post 8989.
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/ka...e-night-events.1496367/page-450#post-60198218

As to the HDAM module, you would be able to see what it does with a frequency response sweep (maybe) or harmonic distortion sweep, as compared to your Denon without.

Here’s and example of objectively figuring why Auro 2D sounds pleasing to some by using a calibrated mic, free sweeps and distortion testing. This takes very little time but leads to an objective level of understanding even many of the audio review “pros” don’t have, or perhaps choose not to disemanate. This same test could be done between your Denon and Marantz after you use the same Audyssey mic to recalibrate. The results would be interesting!

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/wh...g-what-is-going-on-behind-the-scenes.3169754/

There are several calibrated mic choices. REW with the calibrated mic of your choice (Umic) is one option. I prefer Omnimic over REW, but either path gets the job done. Good luck testing!
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-omnimic-v2-acoustic-measurement-system--390-792?

Last edited:

Dan1210

I have said it many times, Denon does sound different to Marantz, certainly a touch brighter than Marantz. I tested this a few years back and had to return the Denon because at the same volume the Denon was uncomfortable to listen with my then paradigm milleniaone setup, both used as a pre pro using a rotel 1565. I’m looking to buy a Denon X8500H soon so I’m hoping I have better results with my now klipsch thx ultra 2 setup.
Ps. Repeating myself here but I believe this change happened around the release of the x models which in my case was the x4000 which sounded brighter than my Denon 3313 which I ultimately kept. At the same time I had a set of Genelec M40’s which also sounded bright to me. I understand the Genelecs are likely to be fairly flat in response and they sounded very similar to the Denon x4000 with the paradigms.

Last edited:

Corock

Your next HiFi purchase should be a calibrated microphone. It’ll help you navigate and understand the differences you hear. And since you like to tinker and audition things to hear differences it’s a logical step. I recommend the Omnimic. It’s what I use and if my whole theater burnt down, and I had to restart it’s the very first thing I’d buy. It helped me learn so much about the hobby. Armed with this experimentation myself, I challenge you to a small experiment to see how different your Denon and Marantz sound in the meantime.

Use the same single Audyssey mic to recalibrate both Marantz and Denon (with the same exact mic positions) and report back. Your bass will sound the same. Anything else is most likely placebo (or different settings - (IE unintentional setting differences in tone, channels trims, restorer, or dynamic EQ controls, cinema mode on one - but not the other, etc)

The Audyssey mics have a states allowed tolerance of +-2.5dB. That’s a five dB swing within allowed spec. Unacceptable, (but a mass manufacturing necessity/causality to fit the given price points) and almost certainly accounts for the bass difference you are hearing. I know it did for me between my AVRs.

Link here to reference:
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/a-brief-comparison-between-two-audyssey-multi-eq-xt32-mics.1764065/

Next thing... The Emotiva amps will sound identical to the Denon internal AVR amps in a controlled blind test, of which my local enthusiast friends and I have done three times now. If they don’t sound identical when level matched and played within their means on typical loudspeakers (then one of the two is broken). The only human audible difference in amplifier sound, to my experimentation and about 15 other enthusiasts we’ve tested so far) is when one amp is played beyond its means (too loud to the point of source or output clipping, or paired with speakers that are exceptionally low impedance, or if an amplifier intentionally “colors” the sound - think tube amp ). A calibrated omnimic will help in these experiments too. We compared a $800 Emotiva stereo amplifier to the internal amp on a Pioneer Elite AVR, and several other amplifiers (Behringer EP4000, Crown XLS 202, Behringer iNuke 3000 DSP, and even a Lepai T-amp and when level matched and played within their means on typical speakers at normal living room listening volumes - all amps we’ve tested so far sounded identical and differences could not be detected in a fast switching A/B/C/D blind test. To put a point in this test the Emotiva owner sold his Emotiva amps after particpating in that first blind test and went back to just using his AVR. He had very sensitive Klipsch pro audio cinema speakers and did not need the power (for his intended listening levels) and after we verified he couldn’t tell the difference in sound quality at those listening levels - he put some money back in his pocket.

These amps do show quality differences on the test bench, but that quality difference seems to have surpassed what our human hears could detect in a typical real world use situation.

We have not had the chance to blind test a Marantz AVR yet, to see how HDAM affects blind testing. I’m interested in doing so. In our most recent test we did use a Marantz 8805 prepro as the source with it’s HDAM module, but since it was the source whatever difference it makes was applied to all amps downstream.

link here: post 8989.
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/ka...e-night-events.1496367/page-450#post-60198218

As to the HDAM module, you would be able to see what it does with a frequency response sweep (maybe) or harmonic distortion sweep, as compared to your Denon without.

Here’s and example of objectively figuring why Auro 2D sounds pleasing to some by using a calibrated mic, free sweeps and distortion testing. This takes very little time but leads to an objective level of understanding even many of the audio review “pros” don’t have, or perhaps choose not to disemanate. This same test could be done between your Denon and Marantz after you use the same Audyssey mic to recalibrate. The results would be interesting!

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/wh...g-what-is-going-on-behind-the-scenes.3169754/

There are several calibrated mic choices. REW with the calibrated mic of your choice (Umic) is one option. I prefer Omnimic over REW, but either path gets the job done. Good luck testing!
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-omnimic-v2-acoustic-measurement-system--390-792?

Thanks for the input. I actually have a Dayton Audio EMM-6 calibrated mic that I used when measuring the DIY sub in my avatar. I see this mic is pretty budget compared to the one you recommended and maybe it was fine for the less refined acoustics of subwoofers, but not for full range. I will admit to not knowing much about the difference in calibrated mics. It’s been a lot of years since I used REW so it will take a bit of catching up to put it back in use. I guess I’ll likely have a winter of social distancing at home to get that done. I would have never guessed using different Audyssey mics could create such differing results; 5 dB is pretty big. The tinkering I’ve done myself has always been creating curves for subs with a Behringer Feedback Destroyer, and I’ve left everything else to the AVR. I guess now the app for XT32 allows me to tinker above 80Hz.

I do listen to music, movies and video games at pretty high levels so I am interested if I’m getting the benefit of the Emotiva amps head room. They are driving 5 Paradigm Signature SA-LCR 3 speakers FWIW.

Last edited:

Corock

I have said it many times, Denon does sound different to Marantz, certainly a touch brighter than Marantz. I tested this a few years back and had to return the Denon because at the same volume the Denon was uncomfortable to listen with my then paradigm milleniaone setup, both used as a pre pro using a rotel 1565. I’m looking to buy a Denon X8500H soon so I’m hoping I have better results with my now klipsch thx ultra 2 setup.
Ps. Repeating myself here but I believe this change happened around the release of the x models which in my case was the x4000 which sounded brighter than my Denon 3313 which I ultimately kept. At the same time I had a set of Genelec M40’s which also sounded bright to me. I understand the Genelecs are likely to be fairly flat in response and they sounded very similar to the Denon x4000 with the paradigms.

Once I move the Denon 6700 permanently into my HT rack and purchase another amp for the Marantz I’ll then be able to compare that AV7005 to the Denon 4308ci that’s currently powering 4 Paradigm Studio 60’s. I currently don’t find that Denon/Paradigm set up bright at all.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Once I move the Denon 6700 permanently into my HT rack and purchase another amp for the Marantz I’ll then be able to compare that AV7005 to the Denon 4308ci that’s currently powering 4 Paradigm Studio 60’s. I currently don’t find that Denon/Paradigm set up bright at all.

I replaced my AV4308CI with the AV7005 and immediately hear more "bottom end", it turned out the AV7005 had DEQ on, by default iirc.. The 4308 got an free FW update with DEQ as well later but by that time I had handed it down to someone else, and in his room I heard similar "warmer" sound when DEQ was on, obviously. Other than that, to me there are no difference that I could detect in terms of "sound quality. Then I replaced the AV7005 with the AV8801, and then replaced the 8801 with the X4400H about two years ago, and I could not hear a difference. The X4400H definitely did not sound brighter in direct mode. In surround mode, it seems o have more surround/height/Atmos effects but then its not an AB comparison. To me, the warm/bright thing is all Placebo, now that ASR has shown the measurements, and that sort of support what I believe based on my subjective experience with two Marantz and two Denon products. And, I am repeating things I might have said before too, sorry..

Corock

I replaced my AV4308CI with the AV7005 and immediately hear more "bottom end", it turned out the AV7005 had DEQ on, by default iirc.. The 4308 got an free FW update with DEQ as well later but by that time I had handed it down to someone else, and in his room I heard similar "warmer" sound when DEQ was on, obviously. Other than that, to me there are no difference that I could detect in terms of "sound quality. Then I replaced the AV7005 with the AV8801, and then replaced the 8801 with the X4400H about two years ago, and I could not hear a difference. The X4400H definitely did not sound brighter in direct mode. In surround mode, it seems o have more surround/height/Atmos effects but then its not an AB comparison. To me, the warm/bright thing is all Placebo, now that ASR has shown the measurements, and that sort of support what I believe based on my subjective experience with two Marantz and two Denon products. And, I am repeating things I might have said before too, sorry..

I never use Dynamic EQ or Dynamic Volume, unless its late at night and I need to turn things way down to not disturb my wife. I would never have them on to do a listening test. I’m also interested in seeing IRL how effective the Audyssey LFC is in containing the bass. For some movies I have to turn the volume down during explosions and such if I’m watching late at night.

I’ve only had a short time to play with the 6700 so the difference in sound could definitely be a different setting that I haven’t discovered yet. It took me a long time to figure out why I was getting audio sometimes and sometimes I wasn’t, even though the video always worked and test tones always worked. Ended up being the HDMI Control function was on so sometimes the audio was output through the AVR and sometime it wasn’t. That’s hours of my life I would like to get back. Maybe the difference in sound is simply the difference in calibration between the two Audyssey mics as suggested by Archaea.

As I learn more about the 6700 things will get clearer for me. I certainly love all the upgrades over the 7005 and I haven’t even gotten to 4K or Atmos yet.

Last edited:

tonydeluce

Forum Donor
Pulled the trigger on the the AVR-X6700h over the weekend. Magnolia honored a 10% off during Birthday month from Best Buy ( even though terms stated Magnolia and Denon products were excluded ) so ended up ordering and using store credit and reward certificates as well to get a price just below that of the AVR-X4700h.

tonydeluce

Forum Donor
Finally arrived at Best Buy yesterday and picked up today. Unfortunately, it will be 2-3 weeks before I get to start enjoying it as I am moving into a new home. Now ordering a Rythmik F18 subwoofer and 6 x 800f Paradigm Premier Towers and 1 x 600c Paradigm Premier Center. Will eventually pair the AVR-x6700h with a Monolith 11 channel amp (using preamp mode to shut off all internal amps) and add four height speakers in-ceiling.

KC-Narnia

Got this update today. Anxiously awaiting its completion. Hope it fixes the issue i am experiencing with fixed volume when turning it on from standby.

Edit: It did :)

Attachments

• 20201122_103437.jpg
    20201122_103437.jpg
    987.8 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:

pedrob

I can confirm the Marantz is far more musical, it's simply exquisite, and oozes musical goodness over the inferior Denon lineup.
At least that's what most dealers tell me.
I wouldn't call the Denon lineup inferior. After all Amir recommends several Denons while Marantz gets zero recommendations. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/Audio_Equipment_Reviews/

Perhaps Marantz has a softer sound that is reflected in the poor test figures. It could well be they are specifically designed for that particular market.

Having said that, I now think I'll now take views with a grain of salt as there is no way of knowing if the reviewer leans towards smooth and crystal sharp, as might be heard at a live performance.

Hi everyone,

Are the European units also affected by the bad capacitor found in the early batch of the X6700h units? In euro/asia the AVC X6700H is available without FM tuner. Curious if those units are fine.

Thanks.

Fillius

Forum Donor
Hi everyone,

Are the European units also affected by the bad capacitor found in the early batch of the X6700h units? In euro/asia the AVC X6700H is available without FM tuner. Curious if those units are fine.

Thanks.
They are, I had the DAC board replaced in mine.

ddlog

Hi everyone,

I have decided to build a 5.1.2 home cinema based on the Dali Rubicon 6 speakers (and Rubicon center). I was going to put an order for the Marantz SR7015 but after reading all reviews here, I am considering buying the Denon X6700 instead. I will use the system mainly for movies and maybe 20-30% of the time for music. I would really appreciate your advice in helping me choose between the SR7015 and X6700 (I found a good offer on the X6700 which is close to the SR7015 price and SR8015 is out of my budget for AVR).

thanks!

Top Bottom