• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X4800H AVR Review

Rate this AVR

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 3.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 72 22.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 173 53.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 67 20.8%

• Total voters

mecedo

Ahh. I see. So in Amir's 4700H updated review it was with AKM DAC? Should I expect in 4700H v2 "DAC reconstruction filter" result the same like in X4800H review? And hence connected "THD+N Ratio vs frequency" will be the same in these two models?

ivo.f.doma

Ahh. I see. So in Amir's 4700H updated review it was with AKM DAC? Should I expect in 4700H v2 "DAC reconstruction filter" result the same like in X4800H review? And hence connected "THD+N Ratio vs frequency" will be the same in these two models?
The 4700V2 has a TI, just like the 4800. But!!! Someone here on the forum took apart the Cinema 50 and inside was not a PCM5102A, but a PCM5100A, which is a 12dB worse converter.

OCA

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
When comparing to the X4700H v2 then yes, same DACs.
DIRAC is already there, came last week with firmware U30.
More additions: Mono block amplifier like X6700H. Fully working HDMI 2.1 on all inputs (not only one input like X4700H). New DSP with more power (including power for DLBC and maybe DL ART). Pre amplifier mode (with disconnected amplifiers), up to 11.4 or 7.1.4/7.4.4. HD GUI. More (independent!) sub outputs. Maybe more?
Also it's made in Japan unlike the 4700. Btw, Dirac ART is not coming to x4800h, this has been confirmed. It will only be available for Denon A1H and Marantz AV10 and maybe for the upcoming X6800h! It requires dual Sharc ADSP-21593 chip which retails for $52!!!
Imagine the real cost of these devices to sound united to ditch this chip for being too expensive.

Last edited:

OCA

Forum Donor
By the way, I used to feel Audyssey over boosted the surround channels when deq is on, now that I have the AVM70 for 3 months I know that isn't the case. The Anthem boost the surround channels just the same without deq, obviously. So, I think, logically, that the perceived Audyssey boost on surr channels might have been just reflecting what the movie mix practice change in recent years.
I measured Audyssey with and without DEQ many times. The low and high frequency boost is there all the way up to 110dB. Surrounds get boosted the highest, mains the lowest, heights somewhere in between. At reasonable volumes, the response is easily 10 dB over the target curve. I doubt that they are really doing it to compensate for equal loudness contours. I have reason to believe, they are doing it to compensate for the limited correction capacity of 1024 FIR taps below 100Hz and to cover up for the 16kHz roll-off limit due to the actual 32kHz internal processing sampling rate in the receiver.

Music707

Also it's made in Japan unlike the 4700. Btw, Dirac ART is not coming to x4800h, this has been confirmed. It will only be available for Denon A1H and Marantz AV10 and maybe for the upcoming X6800h! It requires dual Sharc ADSP-21593 chip which retails for $52!!!
Imagine the real cost of these devices to sound united to ditch this chip for being too expensive.

Could you please give the source for the future availability of DL ART on the top models only?

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
$20 for the Editor app and you can shut the mid dip off. ;)
My 4700 has the option to turn midrange compensation off in the Auddysey options screen.

OCA

Forum Donor
Could you please give the source for the future availability of DL ART on the top models only?
It's actually right on the top of the upgrade path table someone else posted in this discussion:

1679342228796.png

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company

Hummm. A1H and AV10 have single Sharc ADSP-21593 chip, same as the X4800H. The Sharc ADSP-21593 has dual core but it's a single chipset in the X3800H/X4800H and A1H/AV10

denon-2022_15-scaled-jpg.3339189.jpeg

Screenshot 2023-03-20 at 3.21.33 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-03-20 at 3.25.06 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-03-20 at 3.25.50 PM.png

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
My 4700 has the option to turn midrange compensation off in the Auddysey options screen.
Really? I never noticed it.
But from day one I ran the Editor app and had it turned off there.
That's a good thing for them to make it easy for those who just want to use the basic wizard.

Descartes

Major Contributor
By the way, I used to feel Audyssey over boosted the surround channels when deq is on, now that I have the AVM70 for 3 months I know that isn't the case. The Anthem boost the surround channels just the same without deq, obviously. So, I think, logically, that the perceived Audyssey boost on surr channels might have been just reflecting what the movie mix practice change in recent years.
So how do you like ARC-Genesis vs Audyssey ?

OCA

Forum Donor

Music707

Then maybe it has to do with the lower surround channel power output of lesser receivers as ART is supposed to require large surround speakers.

Well, IIRC the demo setup at CES 2023 did not have towers as surrounds, but standmounts. And for those who want/need more juice there's always the possibility to use an external amp. Maybe the quoted source was wrong or meanwhile is outdated (as the pics kindly supplied by @enricoclaudio seem to suggest). In a recent video about the 4800 the D&M rep said that DL ART is being considered but no final decision has been taken yet.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Well, IIRC the demo setup at CES 2023 did not have towers as surrounds, but standmounts. And for those who want/need more juice there's always the possibility to use an external amp. Maybe the quoted source was wrong or meanwhile is outdated (as the pics kindly supplied by @enricoclaudio seem to suggest). In a recent video about the 4800 the D&M rep said that DL ART is being considered but no final decision has been taken yet.
On the X4800H video from Masimo, the Dirac representative mentioned that ART was a possibility for D&M Receivers and Processors after DLBC was released. Currently Dirac, nor D&M are going to promise anything until StormAudio exclusive ART agreement comes to an end by October of 2023.

Music707

On the X4800H video from Masimo, the Dirac representative mentioned that ART was a possibility for D&M Receivers and Processors after DLBC was released. Currently Dirac, nor D&M are going to promise anything until StormAudio exclusive ART agreement comes to an end by October of 2023.

Not exactly. DL ART might come together with DLBC.

Here is my transcription of his statement (see post #159 in this thread):

"That's something we also are looking into. So as that we are going to have the bass control somewhere in 2024. Maybe we are already able to add ART at that time as well. But it's nothing written in stone yet."

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So how do you like ARC-Genesis vs Audyssey ?
I like ARCG's PC based app, more user friendly with lots of features, but I found Audyssey more effective in smoothing the response and have more flexibility in customizing the target curve.

ARCG's phase alignment sounds good in theory, as described in their marketing information, but didn't work well for me, resulting in bad suckout in the deep base range. The mic kit is fantastic, much more impressive than Audyssey's cheap looking one with the cardboard stand.

Last edited:
Top Bottom