• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X4800H AVR Review

Rate this AVR

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 3.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 72 22.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 177 54.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 68 20.8%

• Total voters

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Update regarding relay clicking noises. Replacement unit behaves exactly the same, meaning it's the way Denon designed it or there is a firmware bug. I will be sharing with Denon what I think is a bug to see if it can be fixed with a firmware update as it only happens when the X4800H receives Multichannel IN (PCM) signal.

Haint

Your generally positive view and Dirac potential puts this as a panther on the course for me. Give me Dirac ART with this and it could be a hole in one.

You'll be lucky if vanilla Dirac releases this year. Bass Control will follow way behind that (deep 2024), being only tentatively promised and not guaranteed at all. In other words, there's basically 0 chance this model is upgradable to ART as it'll be way past EOL. You'll be looking at a new 2025 or 2026 model for ART, assuming it even makes business sense for Dirac to put it on "mainstream" or "affordable" products that aren't geared to the boutique high end installer market. Which it probably doesn't as the high end manufactures have already bought timed exclusivity on ART, that they'll probably cut fat checks to renew to corner the market cause they've got 1000%+ profit margins.

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Update regarding relay clicking noises. Replacement unit behaves exactly the same, meaning it's the way Denon designed it or there is a firmware bug. I will be sharing with Denon what I think is a bug to see if it can be fixed with a firmware update as it only happens when the X4800H receives Multichannel IN (PCM) signal.

My 4400 only clicked when I made changes using amp assign. If it clicked for no good reasons then it is a bug that should be fixable by FW update, for it to be a priority for D+M, more people need to let them know.

rvsixer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just to clarify, in 11.1 mode the above two models (added models for history: x3700/4700) also support only front/right channel preamp outs disconnected from amps, while all remaining preouts remain connected to amps (the amps are not turned off). I just reread the reviews to make sure, as its been a while.
You can select which ones you want to disconnect. I have the Front, rear and center disconnected due to using external amps. I use the internal amp to power the Dolby Atmos speakers.

@Carycinema:
That's incorrect. You do realize my answer was regarding the @HarmonicTHD statement here that the x3700/x4700 only have full or no preamp disconnect functionality, yes?

Last edited:

CyrusTheGreat_600BC

Be careful with exchanging expensive items at Best Buy. They put me on a 90 no return list once because of a faulty plasma TV that got cracked screen during their own delivery.

FrankF

Forum Donor
I'm currently running a 4500H. My only reason for upgrading would be for Dirac with DLBC so I'm out of the market until 2024 unless someone else comes out with a decent, affordable unit with that feature.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Be careful with exchanging expensive items at Best Buy. They put me on a 90 no return list once because of a faulty plasma TV that got cracked screen during their own delivery.
I’m a Total Tech member and also have a personal account and a business account with Best Buy since 2010. I give to Best Buy close to $25000 a year between personal account and business account. Never had an issue returning or exchanging products.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would hope not!:oops:

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
My 4400 only clicked when I made changes using amp assign. If it clicked for no good reasons then it is a bug that should be fixable by FW update, for it to be a priority for D+M, more people need to let them know.
How do I contact Denon Engineering team? The only options I see are chat or phone call. Pretty sure any of those two ways would send me to somebody’s reading a CS manual asking me to do non useful troubleshooting.

Descartes

Major Contributor
The fact that you have to pay more for DIRAC and the substandard DAC are maybe a reason to wait until the 2024 version with better design, performance and DIRAC included from the start

mattsrs

The fact that you have to pay more for DIRAC and the substandard DAC are maybe a reason to wait until the 2024 version with better design, performance and DIRAC included from the start

I doubt they release a new receiver every year. The next upgrade will probably be 2025 earliest imho

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I will change the AVR soon-ish and this one could be an optiona. However, I am leaning towards Primare since Dirac is already included.

You'll be lucky if vanilla Dirac releases this year. Bass Control will follow way behind that (deep 2024), being only tentatively promised and not guaranteed at all. In other words, there's basically 0 chance this model is upgradable to ART as it'll be way past EOL. You'll be looking at a new 2025 or 2026 model for ART, assuming it even makes business sense for Dirac to put it on "mainstream" or "affordable" products that aren't geared to the boutique high end installer market. Which it probably doesn't as the high end manufactures have already bought timed exclusivity on ART, that they'll probably cut fat checks to renew to corner the market cause they've got 1000%+ profit margins.
Dirac is supposed to be released this month for the 4800.

edwardgrey

I have clicking, did not realise it might be an issue ~

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Good question! How about call them and ask the proper channel for such request for a "fix"?

Top Bottom