• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X4700H 2020 AVR Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
:( These results are still being discussed among us. Disappointed to see their marketing department already running with them.

Anyway, if I were him I would not brag about two digital audio standards -- Toslink and HDMI -- producing 3 dB different results in SINAD. They better be equal in performance since the same downstream DAC is used for both. And the same test signal is used for both. Jitter can vary (although it shouldn't). But not noise and distortion.

Anyway, the Toslink results match mine and that is one of the areas of agreement.

Am I seeing their numbers correctly? They are bragging that the x4700 matches the x3600 but SINAD is still only 75 dB with amps on. They are suggesting that you had a golden sample x3600h?

Edit: Forgot that there was a typo in the graphs

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Am I seeing their numbers correctly? They are bragging that the x4700 matches the x3600 but SINAD is still only 75 dB with amps on. They are suggesting that you had a golden sample x3600h?
No, no. That is another area of agreement. That is with the amplifier on with 3600 which clips, producing that low of a number. I did not show that but we all know it does that. In that sense it is as bad as 4700.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, no. That is another area of agreement. That is with the amplifier on with 3600 which clips, producing that low of a number. I did not show that but we all know it does that. In that sense it is as bad as 4700.

Thanks for clarifying.

Did they have any trouble with the J-test?

sgent

I think most people will be totally satisfied with 4k at 60hz and HDR, which 2.0 can handle. Videophiles can barely see the difference between HD and 4K unless you are very close to a very large screen. 8k strikes me as pointless. Film is only 24 frames per seconds, btw.

I'm skeptical. Gamers want VRR which PC's and monitors have supported for a long time using display port. Most high end TV's from 2018+ support it, and only HDMI 2.1 supports it (not 2.0b with enhancements). Buy a AVR without VRR support and most gamers will regret the decision when the new consoles come out at the end of this year.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Marantz HDAM's IMO are a suboptimum solution vs. using good IC opamps, but that is another subject. The HDAM's do however "sound good" from a marketing standpoint.

Agreed on this one. To me I would avoid HDAM unless one plans on using power amps with input impedance lower than 10 kOhms and need pre out voltage well above 2 V RCA, such as amps rated >200 W with gain below 28 dB. Even then, we are just assuming HDAM in fact will do the job, but ASR and HTHF's bench tests on the Marantz AVPs (at least 3 measured so far) did not show that they helped, no direct evidence anyway. If anyone has seen anything to that effect I would appreciate a link to the test results.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
(1) The improved DAC output circuitry is used only for the L,C,R channels, not the remaining channels.

In that case, we even have a stronger case in trying to lobby Denon/Marantz to offer a FW upgrade (even if a paid optional one) to make it possible to disconnect the center channel as well for the X3600H, if not for the 2020 models. That is so that many users who only want to use it with a 3 channel ext power amp rated >200 WPC and not having to limit themselves to those with at least 28 dB gain.

How low is too low? How low significantly affects performance? One way to view the question is that output impedance of the RCA's from the AV8805 that have output buffers is about 320 ohms. If we use 10x a figure of merit that makes an input impedance of at least 3.2k ohms a reasonable number. Any of the above scenarios work.

I think that 10X rule of thumb is fine for most but not some die hard audiophiles who probably would be looking at 20X or higher.:D

Evaluating the 8-channel volume control seems more complex since the output impedance may vary with the attenuation setting and internal opamps in the volume control aren't very robust. The specifications for the NJU72343 are taken at 47k ohms, but lower than that must be acceptable or the control would be unusable in most situations. Looking at the datasheet:

On page 14, looking at the graph: Output Voltage vs Load Resistance

With 4.2V in, the output voltage falls as the control is unable to supply enough current into lower frequencies to support 4.2V. Of course 4.2V isn't often required. Pick your spot on the curve and you have your answer.

For another data point: Yamaha uses the Rohm BD34701ks2 or similar, 8-channel volume control in some of its AVR's/AVP's.

https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/348/bd34701ks2-e-1807077.pdf

The BD34703ks2 has a somewhat more robust current output. The distortion/noise specifications seem similar. On page 27 of the datasheet the minimum load impedance is given as 10k ohms. There is a graph on the same page showing output vs. load resistance at 1% THD+N. While this may not be a valid way to view all this, if the minimum for the Rohm unit is 10k ohms the the minimum for the NJR unit is likely higher. The actual THD+N driving these minimum impedances at various output levels is not specified.

Well, we are both guessing on this one. My guess is that, the 47 kOhms load resistance is just something NJU picked, perhaps because it is an old existing standard for phono cartridges lol.. If such high load resistance is necessary for the specified typical THD+N, they (and users like Denon) would not have skip a cheap OPA buffer. In an interview, Denon even bragged about this chip that they claimed they developed it with NJU, and they used it in their $4,000 AVR-X8500H.

https://translate.google.com/transl...,15700186,15700191,15700253,15700256,15700259

"Takahashi: The integration level of AV amplifiers has increased year by year, and circuits such as volume and selector have evolved in a single chip.

However, in order to get a better sound, we should go back to the basics and prepare a volume circuit dedicated to that function and optimize the signal path on the board in order to make it more audio-like design. I wanted to design a circuit that prioritizes sound quality.

So I asked JRC (a semiconductor maker) to make a circuit dedicated to the volume as a custom device. This development took about two years.

In addition, a simple and straight signal path is realized by using a dedicated device specialized for each function for the input selector, output selector, etc."

The AVR-X8500H allows individual power amp channel disconnections, sort of like an individual channel preamp mode.

Also, as I linked many time to HTHF's AVR build quality article, in which Dr. Rich discussed the JRC (NJU32743) chip and the Rohm chip in some details:

https://hometheaterhifi.com/technic...vr-audio-video-reciever-build-quality-part-v/

He said:

"One op amp per channel is inside the NJU72343 exactly like the Cirrus. There are eight of them in total. Compare that to the Rohm BD34705KS2 AVR LSI with 24 op amps. With 24 of those op amps packed into one die along with over 80 switches, the size of each op amp has to be smaller. Smaller size translates to more noise and distortion. This is discussed in detail in my article cited above.

Worst case specs show the New Japan Radio volume chip cuts distortion which is reduced by 50% at 1 kHz compared to the best Rohm. Rohm does not supply a 10 kHz THD specification as New Japan Radio does. Worst-case noise is down by 40% between the Rohm BD34705KS2 and the NJU72343."

So he obviously thinks the NJU chip is better than the Rohm chip Yamaha used in their AVRs and AVCs in terms of noise. He also cited that in the worst case scenario, the Rohm chip's THD+N is 2X higher.

The Rohm one is a LSI chip that has 80 pins with much more parts jammed in, including even an ADC, it is hard to imagine it would be more "Robust", with so many more OPAs and switches build in. Just because it specified a much lower test load, is not a strong evidence in its own imo.
Sadly, none of them publish enough details in their spec sheets, leaving us engineers guessing. I actually asked their customer support a few questions about what we have discussed, they acknowledge (automated response obviously) but no response whatsoever, basically a dead end. Dr. Rich, being an insider, appears to have more info based on what he wrote is his HTHF article, but he is hard to reach.

A straight forward way to render this question mute would be to follow the volume control outputs with opamp buffers. These opamps would serve the same function as the HDAM's in the AV8805. Lots of opamps and supporting passives components would add cost and heat to a unit. Really excellent opamps, higher rail voltages, and circuit boards with more layers would add even more cost and heat. Frankly I doubt people want to pay for them, Don't hold your breath. Yamaha does use opamp buffers in some of their higher end AVR's/AVP's for some channels.

Agreed on this in general, but I would counter that for a lot of applications such as one when paired with an external amp such as ATI's where the input impedance is >20,000 ohms, rated only 200-300 WPC, and gain >28 dB, skipping an additional discrete (e.g. HDAM) or chip OPA buffer is actually better because fewer parts = lower noises/distortions so more parts should only be used if the +ve out weight the -ve effects.

While it is interesting to speculate on the effects of these components, and dream about all sorts of enhancements, measurements of the products provide the bottom line.

Also agreed, unfortunately without detailed measurements like ASR's, marketing hypes such as but not limited to "superior low leakage flux toroid transformer, copper shielding, gold plated connectors, etc. etc., would rule. Just look at the $5000 AV8805's measurements, not really any better than the $1,149 is it?

Again, I raised one speculation of my own on one possible thing that could affect bench measurement consistency, that is the wide tolerance in THD+N specs of chips such as the JRC volume control chip and the Rohm chip.

That is, typical 0.0004%, maximum 0.01% (the NUJ72343), and maximum 0.02% (the Rohm BD34705KS2). The gap between the typ and max value is huge! No one has offer a counter argument on that yet so far, I still hope to be completely wrong on this one, that is, no need to worry about the "max.", though I would love to know why, it that is the case and would like to see links to supporting evidence/source info for any reasons/explanations cited.

Last edited:

Archaea

I'm skeptical. Gamers want VRR which PC's and monitors have supported for a long time using display port. Most high end TV's from 2018+ support it, and only HDMI 2.1 supports it (not 2.0b with enhancements). Buy a AVR without VRR support and most gamers will regret the decision when the new consoles come out at the end of this year.
All HDMI input ports accept the other aspects of 2.1 on the 2020 Denon’s including VRR. It’s been said clearly many times by jdsmoothie, Phil from Sound United training videos, the Denon presser at Audioholics, etc.

The following video clip from manufacturer clearly says all the other important HDMI 2.1 aspects are supported on all other HDMI inputs.

VRR, QFT, ALLM, Dolby Vision, HDR 10+ etc. for all ports, (just not 40gbps, e.g. 4k 120Hz or 8K 60Hz except the 1 input and 2 outputs) -- the other ports top out at 4K 60Hz.

Timestamp 15:50

Last edited:

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We are still investigating some aspects of this.

I wonder if that test throws the unit into some weird state where you get the problems with the HDMI afterwards.

Vasr

Major Contributor
:( These results are still being discussed among us. Disappointed to see their marketing department already running with them.

Anyway, if I were him I would not brag about two digital audio standards -- Toslink and HDMI -- producing 3 dB different results in SINAD. They better be equal in performance since the same downstream DAC is used for both. And the same test signal is used for both. Jitter can vary (although it shouldn't). But not noise and distortion.

Anyway, the Toslink results match mine and that is one of the areas of agreement.

Corporate PR does not always play by gentlemen rules. :)

The difference between the two inputs is actually a feature not a bug in this narrative (while seemingly taking "oblique" potshots at you to get ahead of the PR "crisis") where he is evangelizing newer technology as better (HDMI over Toslink, eARC over ARC, etc). Their target audience won't think it is a bug. The brand needs to promote upgrade cycles as part of business models. Not very different from what Apple does.

But listening to this guy for the first time in this video, if I was looking for an evangelist/product spokesman and he was available I would hire him in a heartbeat. Some people can talk about dog poop and make it sound exciting and the best upgrade since sliced bread and that only they have it. This guy is one of those. Not easy to find them for hiring.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Are you discussing the HDMI input 32 tones test with them too?
Yes. That is one of the top two issues being discussed. I spent half a day running more tests to get more clues as to what is going on. So we are getting close. We hope to wrap up some kind of conclusion soon.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
But listening to this guy for the first time in this video, if I was looking for an evangelist/product spokesman and he was available I would hire him in a heartbeat.
I have seen a number of his other videos and I agree he is very good.

demoncamber

Yes. That is one of the top two issues being discussed. I spent half a day running more tests to get more clues as to what is going on. So we are getting close. We hope to wrap up some kind of conclusion soon.
Dude you're awesome! Coming from a x4700 owner, this is greatly appreciated!

Dunefan

Hi Amir,

I have been following this discussion, it's like reading a Jason Bourne thriller. Thank you for all the effort you put into reviewing this device! I pre-ordered it today in The Netherlands.

Question: are you discussing the unit running very hot as well? That still has me worried a bit.

Thanks!

krizvi786

I have seen a number of his other videos and I agree he is very good.
Hi i am new here but am very thankful for this site.

i just bought a an anthem mrx 1120 but am wondering if i need to at least check out denon 6700H for the hdmi 2.1 which i am pretty sure apple tv will get. Do you plan to review one of those soon or should i just drop ship my unit to you? I just ordered one from Crutchfield to try it out

thanks

kamran

kokishin

Forum Donor
Corporate PR does not always play by gentlemen rules. :)

The difference between the two inputs is actually a feature not a bug in this narrative (while seemingly taking "oblique" potshots at you to get ahead of the PR "crisis") where he is evangelizing newer technology as better (HDMI over Toslink, eARC over ARC, etc). Their target audience won't think it is a bug. The brand needs to promote upgrade cycles as part of business models. Not very different from what Apple does.

But listening to this guy for the first time in this video, if I was looking for an evangelist/product spokesman and he was available I would hire him in a heartbeat. Some people can talk about dog poop and make it sound exciting and the best upgrade since sliced bread and that only they have it. This guy is one of those. Not easy to find them for hiring.
Steve Jobs (RIP) - Master of the Reality Distortion Field

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Question: are you discussing the unit running very hot as well? That still has me worried a bit.
No, that is out of scope but a concern of mine as well. I noticed it again after shutting it down last night. It is really cooking on the right side.

My own AVR is in a cabinet and must run cool.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi i am new here but am very thankful for this site.

i just bought a an anthem mrx 1120 but am wondering if i need to at least check out denon 6700H for the hdmi 2.1 which i am pretty sure apple tv will get. Do you plan to review one of those soon or should i just drop ship my unit to you? I just ordered one from Crutchfield to try it out

thanks

kamran
Hi Karman. Thanks for the kind words and offer. A local member has bought the 6700 and is due to get it in early July. So I should be able to test it.

Dude you're awesome! Coming from a x4700 owner, this is greatly appreciated!
I second this. You really are a "product life-saver" in this case. Your dedication to displaying the hidden truths of these receivers is truly appreciated. We can all learn from your work; hopefully manufactures will be more aware of their measurements in more realistic settings before making them public via their spokesmen and consumers who are accustomed to immediately pulling the trigger on the latest new gadget without waiting for reviews will be a bit more cautious and observation before doing so; guilty! Thank you for all you've done and continue to do! @amirm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom